Console assembly and ID of parts

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2024, 10:14 AM

Console assembly and ID of parts

Ok, in the Parts Wanted, I thought I needed some stuff for my 1970 Cutlass that turns out I actually had in a bin that I thought had other stuff in it. Can I get some help ID'ing some stuff? Specifically, the called out components in the pic below.

Bob in S. Fla. answered some of these and I know some of it, but they are listed again for clarity.

I know that #5 is the shifter assy, #7 is the console inside liner with lens, #11 are original radio ***** (no radio though), #13 are original window cranks, #6 somehow goes in the shifter as well as #3.

How does #1 and #2 hold down the shifter?
How does #3 and #6 get mounted?
Green #4 is the lens for the lamps above the HVAC controls?
Bob said #9 is for the ashtray. Not sure how they are used.

What the heck is #8?
What are #12? Look like remote mirror escutcheons.
#10 is an unidentified grommet that was in the bin with all this stuff. May not matter.

And finally, what area of the carpet needs to be cut away for mounting the shifter? The PO installed new carpet and installed a B&M Megashifter. He only cut away enough to mount it which is a lot less than what is needed cleared for the full console I assume.
Thanks all,

Last edited by rfpowerdude; February 20th, 2024 at 10:17 AM.
Old February 20th, 2024, 12:07 PM
Shoveling Snow

Have you looked at the PIM?
Old February 20th, 2024, 12:14 PM
Shoveling Snow

Old February 20th, 2024, 12:16 PM
Shoveling Snow

Old February 20th, 2024, 12:28 PM

#1 does not hold down the shifter - it is the front mount for the console. It screws to the floor, then the front of the console sits on top of it and it screwed into the "wings".

#3 is the slider that covers the opening for the shifter. The shifter **** has to be removed so the slider can go over the shifter shaft.
#6 mounts in the console and the slider moved on top of it, exposing the selected gear position in the small window in the slider.
#4 yes you are correct.
#9 are the springs that go on either side of the ash tray door to provide tension so the door stays in place (open or closed). The inner curve goes to the inside (against the door).

#8 ???
#12 yes, you are correct.

Old February 20th, 2024, 01:53 PM

Thanks Kenneth and yes Paul, I will break out the PIM and have it handy armed with these answers. I am probably still missing stuff, especially the screws...
Old February 20th, 2024, 02:26 PM
Shoveling Snow

Check with Scott Winn.
Old February 20th, 2024, 08:16 PM

Ok, looked at the awesome PIM that Paul sent me and basically understand how the console goes together and what I’m missing.

And just as importantly, I looked in the Transmission section and found how the shifter actually mounts and see that I am missing plenty of hardware, specifically, the 9419380 screws used in multiple places. Can someone tell me the size and thread pitch of these so I can look through all my piles of saved Olds fasteners for something that will work?

Also, the carpet has almost nothing cut out. It seems the shifter mounts directly to the sheet metal so I’ll need to cut some of the carpet away. Hope I don’t cut any amount I shouldn’t!
Old February 21st, 2024, 10:42 AM

The 9419380 screws to attach the shifter bracket to the floor are 1/4" coarse thread(ie sheet metal thread). Length....I'm not 100% sure on but 5/8" 0r 3/4" would likely suffice. These will have pointed, fully threaded tips on them.

Yes, shifter mounts directly to the floor pan metal....no carpet, etc in between. Just make slits in the carpet enough to allow you to install the shifter on the floor. Then when you're done you can trim away the excess flaps to whatever degree you like.
Old February 21st, 2024, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by 70Post
The 9419380 screws to attach the shifter bracket to the floor are 1/4" coarse thread(ie sheet metal thread). Length....I'm not 100% sure on but 5/8" 0r 3/4" would likely suffice. These will have pointed, fully threaded tips on them.

Yes, shifter mounts directly to the floor pan metal....no carpet, etc in between. Just make slits in the carpet enough to allow you to install the shifter on the floor. Then when you're done you can trim away the excess flaps to whatever degree you like.
in that same PIM you will find a page with the drill pattern in the floor pan for those holes
Old February 21st, 2024, 05:42 PM

Thanks a bunch guys, this is helping me immensely. I found some bags of misc. hardware that the PO had included, but it has so much random stuff mixed up, hard to tell what I have. Here is a detailed pic of what I could find so far. There are 1/4" coarse sheet metal screws that look very "GM", but they are different lengths. I could probably use at least 4 of them. And it looks like I may have found the original console light switch.

There were numbered bags that were in a bigger bag, but all the numbers fell off after all these years. They look like new trim hardware, but I am not sure what they are for. Anyone recognize anything? And those 3 little springs, I wonder what they were for? Looks like I need whatever the below 9419400 screw is for the front hole in the neutral/park/reverse lights switch mount plate.

And yes, I found that page with the drill pattern. I am going to cut a slit in the carpet as was suggested soon to make sure I know where the correct mounting holes are and get this shifter mounted, final cut the carpet and prep the console for reinstall.

I am going to have to post soon about other missing hardware in this shifter endeavor. I am missing the shift cable, the transmission cable mount and various fasteners/hardware to get this all correct again...
Old February 21st, 2024, 06:29 PM

That is definitely the console light switch. Take care when screwing it in so the wires don’t get twisted up. I “pre twist” the wires after connecting to the switch so after installation they are untwisted.

If anyone has suggestions for a better installation method, please share as I am ready to learn something new.

Last edited by Fun71; February 21st, 2024 at 06:34 PM.
Old February 24th, 2024, 10:58 AM

Ok, I have gotten a lot more done on reinstalling the console. I have some more questions about the size of some of the screws. See below:

#1 screw 9419400. It seems to be a little smaller than the 1/4" coarse sheet metal used to hold down the shifter. Anyone know what it is?
#2 screw 9422207. These seem to be pretty small, not sure what size they are. I have a bunch of miscellaneous hardware that might have the right ones in it.
#3 and #4 screw 9424817. Not sure what these are and where they are supposed to screw in, there is nothing to screw to. Maybe there are supposed to be captive nuts in the below pic?

Thanks everyone for all the help!
Old February 25th, 2024, 06:01 AM

Gents,
How do I look up the above hardware for size/thread?
Old February 26th, 2024, 05:06 AM

Nevermind, I winged it by going through all of the Olds hardware that I have and made it work. The console is installed and I am now waiting on a new shifter cable as that seems to be the last thing I need for this whole thing to work.