Chrome Dash Paint

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2010, 09:24 PM

Chrome Dash Paint

Hi,

Just finished preparing my interior plastic and dash pad to be painted. The original color is blue. I used SEM Plastic Prep after soap and warm water scrub. My question is do I need to use a adhesion promoter before using Mixed DUPONT VINYL COLOR? Also there is a painted chrome highlight. Does original chrome paint need to be removed?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_2392.jpg (73.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg
100_2393.jpg (51.2 KB, 55 views)
Old March 30th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Registered

I used a Dupont lacquer interior paint and it called for an adhesion promoter in the tech sheet. Go to their site and they should have the tech and MSDS sheets for everything they make.
I just always use an adhesion promoter on plastic but not sure if that calls for it.
I would guess that as long as that silver is on there good you should be able to paint over it.
If it starts lifting I guessed wrong.
Old April 7th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Grown Azz Kid

If you plan to repaint the chrome take it off.. or are you looking to paint it all and not have the chrome outline..I redid the outline on mine with a paint pen, not original chrome but looks good and is all one shade
Old April 7th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Olds luvr
If you plan to repaint the chrome take it off.. or are you looking to paint it all and not have the chrome outline..I redid the outline on mine with a paint pen, not original chrome but looks good and is all one shade
Did you use the Elmers Opaque Paint marker to do your trim?
Old April 7th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Grown Azz Kid

I did yes, but afterwords got a tip on somthing that looked better....You can get it on ebay and is a "gundam" marker in the silver. looks more chrome than the elmers...A Gundam is a type of japenese metal toy model and need to be painted. I am going to order one of them and play with it. the guy at a hobbie toy store had one of these markrs and showed it to me.

I think I posted pics in my thread of the painted chrome parts with the Elmers marker
Old April 7th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Is this it?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/BANDAI-GUNDAM-COL...item3efdb5b88c

LMK how it turns out. I need to do some of the dash bright work. This would probably also work well on the door reflectors.
Old April 7th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Alan, Yes that is the one...If you want you can buy it and let me know how it turns out
Old April 7th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Alan, Yes that is the one...If you want you can buy it and let me know how it turns out
Sure thing. I might as well buy 4 or 5. It costs the same to ship 1 as 5. If it doesn't work, I can go vandalize a garbage can or somthing . If they turn out to be the real McCoy (funny that we'd call it that when its Japanese?) I'll start taking orders on dash refinishing
Old April 7th, 2010, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by rickbmac
Hi,

Just finished preparing my interior plastic and dash pad to be painted. The original color is blue. I used SEM Plastic Prep after soap and warm water scrub. My question is do I need to use a adhesion promoter before using Mixed DUPONT VINYL COLOR? Also there is a painted chrome highlight. Does original chrome paint need to be removed?

Thanks
Yes---you should use an adhesion promoter. DuPont has their own but you could probably also get away with one like Bulldog Adhesion Promoter (get a spray can of the stuff AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE CAN, pay attention to the outside temperature, etc).

Of course, if you can get a small amount of the DuPont stuff (1 pint or so) that would be the first choice....don't know how small a volume they will sell you.

I would remove the chrome detail and repaint it later...why take a chance on it lifting, etc. You should be able to remove it with a fine wetsand paper (ie 600 or finer...pre-soak the paper for 1/2 hour or so) or a grey scotchbrite.

LOOK CLOSELY at the raised plastic "beveled area" leading up to the surface with the chrome paint....is it actually blue or is it black?

Last edited by 70Post; April 7th, 2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Alan, there you go...We will call it the real McCoi
Old April 8th, 2010, 06:17 AM

Paint pen

Where did you get the paint pen? What was its name? thanks for the article on redoing the seats. Very informative. think I can handle it.

thanks
Tim
Old April 8th, 2010, 06:37 AM

"real McCoi" ... that's really clever
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Hello Tim,

I used an "Elmers" silver paint pen. I got mine at the Local Fred Meyers grocery chain but am sure they sell it everywhere like target, wally world and what not. When I was looking for them a guy at the hobbie store had a "Gundam" Paint marker that had a better more metal like look to it. They are on Ebay and ship from overseas I have not used that one but it looked good.

Good luck on the seats...I will be doing mine shortly as soon as my hog ring pliers show up in the mail

jamestina...Thanks
Old May 21st, 2010, 07:17 PM

I did my dash and hand painted outline with testors model paint in silver. Looks prettty good.
Old May 21st, 2010, 09:42 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Kace, you have pictures of it?
Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:28 AM

I used the silver metallic "sharpie" pen on my silver dash outlines - worked great!
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:41 AM
Lance

I have had very good luck with Krylon Silver Leafing Pen #9902.

http://www.krylon.com/products/leafing_pens/
Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:42 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I used the silver metallic "sharpie" pen on my silver dash outlines - worked great!
I used on of them on my black stacking trays on my desk. It looks awesome, and it didn't rub off. Best of all, you can get them at any stationer and they don't cost a lot. The other thing I like is the applicator does 'drip', and I didn't have to worry about keeping the pen in a straight line because the liquid silver didn't run off the edge of the ridges. I'm going to try this on side AC vents and see how it looks there.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 06:25 AM

It worked great on all my vents, should do well on yours, too!