69 Cutlass heater control

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2013, 05:01 PM

69 Cutlass heater control

My ac/heater control is in need of a restore. Is the chrome piece on the end of the two levers removable? Thought they might be push-on but I'm not too sure. Also pass along any references you might have on vendors that can do a cosmetic restore on the faceplate. Thanks...Bob
Old September 8th, 2013, 05:09 PM

They just pull off. You can paint the panel yourself with spray paint then use a q tip with laquer thinner on it to take the paint off the letters.
Old September 8th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'm not sure about the '69 A-body specifically, but I believe I have had to remove some of those by unscrewing a tiny allen screw on the underside.

Also, once the tips are off, you should be able to remove a clip or a nut and disassemble the whole controller - with some cleaning and some fresh grease, you'd be amazed at how nice they feel and function.

- Eric
Old September 8th, 2013, 06:46 PM

No, the fan control is the only one with a set screw. It should be a slotted set screw also. The other two just pull off and push on.

And it's three bolts to remove it from the dash. Then you have the maze of vacuum lines to deal with. Mark them with tape, there are numbers near each of the nipples on the heater control. Read them very carefully (use a magnifying glass if you have old eyes like mine) as some of the numbers look alike.

You will also have to unhook the cable from the firewall box.

Also, if you haven't already, register at www.wildaboutcarsonline.com so that you can look at the factory assembly manual and the chassis service manual. Those will be very valuable for this project.

Last edited by starfire; September 8th, 2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old September 9th, 2013, 07:23 AM

Starfire - Had to use some muscle but chrome tips pulled off without damage. Since this unit appears to be paint over chrome do I need to treat the chrome surface to make sure the paint adheres properly. Don't know if I want to try this myself or not....Bob