1967 Cutlass Supreme

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2021, 02:24 PM

1967 Cutlass Supreme

Hi, has anyone had issues with installing the repo plastic seat backs (opgi)?. I was told by my installer that the fit is not perfect and will need to be cut.

Last edited by wishful; June 4th, 2021 at 03:02 PM.
Old June 7th, 2021, 11:50 AM
Ben

Depends on what he means by cut exactly.
67 & 68 back panels have to be aggressively manhandled to get the side release button & bezel to line up for the screws to go through. Even originals can be a bitch- I have to use 2 long thin awls through the holes to pry the holes back into alignment and quickly put one screw in at a time, all while keeping the button & its plunger lined up over ITS hole.

.....but they should not need to be cut to fit unless the button itself cannot fit through the plastic opening- But I can't even imagine needing to tell a customer that needs to be done... i would just do it, its part of the job.
If he's asking it must be about something that is a bigger deal... the button opening is the only area i can think of that someone would want to cut.... really anything else would be visible, so not sure what else it could be.

Since 67 seats originally had metal backs, i'm not sure if the repop plastic seat backs use the same small tabs to hold it on at the top of the back, or if they use different style (68+ that had plastic backs used a different style tab).
Lot of factors that could impact fitment to where someone might think they need to cut stuff- but they shouldn't unless the button simply won't fit.

I would ask exactly what it is that he wants to cut. Its possible he just doesn't understand the order the button & bezel needs to get installed. Since you are using non-original seat backs, i'll assume the seat was not complete when you took it to him?
I'll see if i can find a couple photos of the button assembly in my archives. I know I've needed to look at them when reassembling before.

Last edited by RAMBOW; June 7th, 2021 at 11:57 AM.