1964 Cutlass seat upholstery - metal appearance treatments

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2012, 09:38 AM

Question 1964 Cutlass seat upholstery - metal appearance treatments

Hi all - I have a 64 Cutlass Sport Coupe with what appears to be original interior. I am having issues with replacing the seat covers. My seats all have rectangle, metal plugs in the center of the top and bottom cushions. The only seats I am finding as factory replacements are the Holiday seats and none have the metal enhancements.

Also, I have not even seen a restored 64 Cutlass with these seats unless it was a survivor.

Thoughts?
Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:47 AM
Ben

Pic?

It could be that you have the base model option and that covers are not made for it.
You could call a local upholstery shop and have them use your originals as a template to make you a set.

If yours are in decent shape, you could also send them to legendary and have them make you a set (then they could also offer that style to the general public).
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
Pic?

It could be that you have the base model option and that covers are not made for it.
You could call a local upholstery shop and have them use your originals as a template to make you a set.

If yours are in decent shape, you could also send them to legendary and have them make you a set (then they could also offer that style to the general public).
I believe you are correct in that he probably has the non typical interior pattern. I had inquired a couple of times at the Legendary trailer at Carlisle about seat covers for my 67 Sport Coupe and they simply said they do not make them and never offered to reproduce them for me, they just let me walk away... I am sure I am not the 1st one to ask about the Sport Coupe either. Are you sure they willingly accept reproduction jobs?
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:26 AM
Ben

it could be they were not interested in such a low produciton item... but more likely they were too busy with the show, or the person you talked to at the show didn't know.

I know I've seen several invitations from them on the chevelle site to get low production originals in order to make templates.

Basically If you have intact covers and are willing to let them have them (they will have to cut them apart to make the new templates) then they could do it. You'd still be paying for the new covers of course.

If you were missing a peice (like the back cover or something) and asked them to Guess at making it, i think they'd pass. they want originals to make the new ones off of.

This is just what I have read in the past- But from my dealings with them i have no reason to doubt it- however it might not be something the sales guy on the phone will suggest- you may have to ask about it, which would likely get you talking to someone else there.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 12:34 PM

Thanks guys...

Thanks for the fast responses guys...see the attached pics below - I'm excited to hear the background of these seats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6791.jpg (40.0 KB, 52 views)
IMG_6789.jpg (34.4 KB, 38 views)
IMG_6790.jpg (27.6 KB, 35 views)
Old December 3rd, 2012, 12:59 PM

They are factory original seat covers but as you say with the chrome buttons I am sure they are not reproduced. An upholstery shop will need to sew new covers and install the seat buttons.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 09:58 PM

Thanks guys - so the consensus is that these seats, although factory Oldsmobile originals from 1964, are not remanufactured by any of the known repro companies on the market.

The local interior shop wanted to do both front seats, with new foam, for $250 each. That also included putting the metal inserts back in to each seat. The reason I did not go that route is that I was worried that they wouldn't be able to get the correct red vinyl color match and I'd be left with those overly puffy, bloated looking seats that loom too new that you always see at the car shows. Is there any particular color swatch name or code that is currently available?

Thoughts?
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:57 PM
Ben

SMS out of oregon is going to be your best and only hope to find matching grain & color vinyl. But even then- you are talking about 47 year old vinyl- it has faded no matter how good they've been taken care of- even exact material is gonna be a different color now.

You may be stuck taking what they can get thats close- but you would be surprised at the number of grains & colors that are avaible- they may be able to show you something close that you could use.

Regardless of whatever material choices you make (or they make for you) Make sure that if they are getting you foam that it is the American Cushion industries (ACI) seat foam. There is a difference- and the cheap stuff sucks and is gonna give you that puffy bloated seat you are worried about and have your head in the headliner.
Old December 4th, 2012, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
SMS out of oregon is going to be your best and only hope to find matching grain & color vinyl. But even then- you are talking about 47 year old vinyl- it has faded no matter how good they've been taken care of- even exact material is gonna be a different color now.

You may be stuck taking what they can get thats close- but you would be surprised at the number of grains & colors that are avaible- they may be able to show you something close that you could use.
I agree, it helps to give SMS the interior color code and or get a sample of your material from a spot that has not faded like under the seat or behind a seam and it will give the best true color. Since even back in the day dye lots varied some, you should be able to get very close to what you have now. If not you may need to get the rear seat done as well but I would make that decision after the fronts were done and the match evaluated.... 250 a seat doesnt sound bad to me.
Old December 4th, 2012, 07:22 AM

I had good luck using SMS for the correct red vinyl for my 64 F-85 wagon.
Matched very well with the original color.
Old December 6th, 2012, 12:49 PM

Sms

I am patiently awaiting my swatch kit from SMS - appreciate all the input and I think I will give my $250 a seat guy a shot at making them for me...updates to come. Now, if any of you have seen my other post about my wheel well trim dilemma (believe my rear quarters are from a 64 GTO), feel free to offer any advice on how to bend an aluminum wheel well moulding.

Thomas
Old December 6th, 2012, 12:58 PM

.If I were you I would locate patch panels from a junk car and use them to redo the wheel wells correctly. They are just plain wrong and should be fixed...
Old December 7th, 2012, 01:44 PM

OldsManiac...

Thanks OM, I would normally agree, but they have kind of grown on me.