Where to buy parts for 1983 or 1984 Hurst Olds

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2023, 08:40 AM

Where to buy parts for 1983 or 1984 Hurst Olds

I am looking to purchase a 1983 or 1984 Hurst Olds and was wondering where a good place to get OE or OEM parts. I have been searching for ignition wires but none of the ones I find have the factory boots
Old July 22nd, 2023, 09:36 AM

They actually do have factory boots. Just not OEM style. They only have the updated ones no longer requiring the retaining ring as of sometime in the mid 1990s. ACDelco 608B is the correct listed part number to fit, sort of, but they don't have the extra nipples to attatch to the retainer ring because GM decided it wasn't really necessary. If you can find the boots alone with the nipples, you can make your own from similar Delco parts. Depends on how bad you want 'em to look factory. Which likely you never will because the OEM's were cylinder numbered. I bought a bagful of the nipple type ends for this exact reason.

OE or OEM Hurst parts will be needed to be searched for in the secondary market like want ads, ebay, and forums like this. NOS or new OEM H/O specific parts are ULTRA hard to find. And used parts, it all depends on if you can refurbish them. You will not be able to find the maple cloth interior material. If you get an 83 with sand gray, you may still be able to get some of that. Not 100% sure, though.

One place I'd never shop again is Oldsparts.com, aka Brothers Automotive Products. Service pretty much is hit or miss, if there at all, for the last, oh, 25 years or so- hopefully if nothing goes wrong, you might be ok. If it does go sideways, well...good luck.

Old July 22nd, 2023, 09:50 AM

Thanks for the feedback - I have been looking at a few with under 50K miles and would like to refresh the plugs, wires, cap, coils, hoses, belts and waterpump. It is so easy to find these parts for older cars but have been coming up empty on the newer ones. I did find this link earlier today which is really helpful

http://tlentz.oldsgmail.com/partnumbers.html
Old July 22nd, 2023, 11:43 AM

That's a good link to have.

Keep in mind, some parts and such have been discontinued and or SUPER tough to find. An original GM/ACDeclo water pump with the original type of cast numbers is nearly impossible to find anymore. The dist. cap is D336X, rotor is D433. GM/AC Delco belts are virtually non-existent. As far as hoses- nobody I know of makes a correct, aftermarket 83 H/O upper hose. AC Delco still markets replacement hoses for the 84 upper and lower and 83 lower. Spark plugs are R46SX originally, but they had .080" preset gaps. Later they went to R46SZ with 0.060" gap. I'd pick either one and set the gap at 0.040-045" and you'll be fine. Big gap was eating ignition modules and they got tired of replacing them under warranty so they came up with the new plug and tighter gap. Remember it was for emissions. It'll run great with an 0.040" gap. Trust me. The coil is pretty robust, but if you wanted to change it, you would need the red/white wire one, ACDelco D531.

Also, as far as the belts, either in very late December '83 or early January '84, the 84 H/O went to a slightly different belt setup on the VIN 9 307. 83 and early 84 had a single belt from water pump to the alternator. Later 84 had dual groove PS pulley where the alternator belt wrapped around that and the crank along with the water pump too. So it will depend on when the 84 was built as to which belts you would need. NOT MANY were built in 1983, as conversions on the 84s didn't start in earnest until around December 1, 1983.

Old July 22nd, 2023, 11:49 AM

Damn, someone referencing Tom Lentz's site from like 2001. I wonder if he is still around...
Old July 22nd, 2023, 11:55 AM

@69HO43 thanks for all the information. You have been a tremendous help. I have it narrowed down to 2 cars and I am just trying to figure out which one to buy. Also, is there a site where I can enter the VIN to find the production sequence?
Old July 22nd, 2023, 11:56 AM

@rfpowerdude very nice 88 HO. Also a huge fan of the 70 cutlass
Old July 22nd, 2023, 11:57 AM

Thanks brutha! I am in the house taking a break from the Fla heat. Gotta get back out and work on that '70!
Old July 22nd, 2023, 12:11 PM

Used to be. But no longer. Used to be a registry where you could look all that stuff up. Don't know what happened to the information though. It still could be useful.

Judy Badgley of the H/OCA has a bunch of info on those cars. Trevor Badgley is the 83 H/O advisor, and Wes Worsham is the 84 H/O advisor.

Here's likely your best bet. Contact the H/OCA and provide the VIN and they should be able to get your request to the right people and tell you the "build" number. Which isn't the exact build number in sequence, per usual. It's not all that important really, as the VIN 9 engine code and W40 RPOs make it pretty much a given as to the car's authenticity.

Contact Us - The Hurst/Olds Club of America (hurstolds.com)

Old July 22nd, 2023, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by 69HO43
Used to be. But no longer. Used to be a registry where you could look all that stuff up. Don't know what happened to the information though. It still could be useful.

Judy Badgley of the H/OCA has a bunch of info on those cars. Trevor Badgley is the 83 H/O advisor, and Wes Worsham is the 84 H/O advisor.

Here's likely your best bet. Contact the H/OCA and provide the VIN and they should be able to get your request to the right people and tell you the "build" number. Which isn't the exact build number in sequence, per usual. It's not all that important really, as the VIN 9 engine code and W40 RPOs make it pretty much a given as to the car's authenticity.

Contact Us - The Hurst/Olds Club of America (hurstolds.com)
Membership in the H/OCA is required for that info, and it's a good idea to join in general (you get a really spiffy newsletter six times a year).
Old July 22nd, 2023, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Membership in the H/OCA is required for that info, and it's a good idea to join in general (you get a really spiffy newsletter six times a year).
Quite possible. You don’t need to have an h/ o to join but if you do buy one you’ll do yourself favors by joining up.

If you’re worried about it, just DM me the prospective vins and I’ll send the request. I’ve been a member for 25+ years. They can send me the info. Although not sure about Wes’ email addy. I emailed him a couple months ago about some 84 stuff and he never replied.
Old July 23rd, 2023, 06:28 AM

Since this thread is about 83-84 Hurst............where can I buy cloth replacement red front seat upholstery ? Last time I looked, G Body only carried the vinyl.
Old July 23rd, 2023, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Hammerdrop
Since this thread is about 83-84 Hurst............where can I buy cloth replacement red front seat upholstery ? Last time I looked, G Body only carried the vinyl.
From my previous post:
OE or OEM Hurst parts will be needed to be searched for in the secondary market like want ads, ebay, and forums like this. NOS or new OEM H/O specific parts are ULTRA hard to find. And used parts, it all depends on if you can refurbish them. You will not be able to find the maple cloth interior material. If you get an 83 with sand gray, you may still be able to get some of that. Not 100% sure, though.
There may be some vendors out there CLAIMING to have the right material. It's close, but no. It doesn't have the right sheen to it. If you luck up on someone selling their personal stash, that'd be about your only hope.
Old July 23rd, 2023, 09:26 AM

There may be some vendors out there CLAIMING to have the right material. It's close, but no. It doesn't have the right sheen to it. If you luck up on someone selling their personal stash, that'd be about your only hope.[/QUOTE]

Chip Dufala
Facebook is selling H/O parts *** See #17

I have completed the work on my 1984 Hurst Olds and my 1987 442. Everything that I have, I will take to the local FedEx store to be boxed and shipped at the buyers expense. That way, you have the choice to purchase insurance, and they have to own the responsibility of bad packaging and pay your claim. I am trying to be very fair with the pricing that I am offering to the group. If there are any questions, please let me know. I will work hard to keep this list updated. Please PM me and we will work out the details. I prefer PayPal for everyone's protection or you can mail me a certified check and you can give the FedEx store your credit card and pay them right over the phone. I do not drive but I love to work on cars. You can also do local pick up. Please feel free to ask any questions. Due to the number of items, pictures will be by request. I sought out quite a few opinions on what was fair for me and the buyer. I know some items are expensive, but I also know how rate they are. I am more than willing to do porch/garage pickup as well. I do not do "google" phone verification. My profile is public and if you are nervous, we can meet at the police department about 1 mile down the road. That should end all of that nonsense. I will remove items when sold. So please do not ask if items are available. If they are paid for, they are gone. I do not hold items. First come, first served.
Here are the items I have pulled out so far:
1. Set of original Hurst wheels, above average driver quality. $1850 for all four, including the center caps.
2. Set of headlight bezels (reproduction) (SOLD)
3. NOS 83/84 front grills. $650 for the pair.
4. 2 sets of Door Wire Rubber Protectors NOS $35 per pair.
5. 1 set of 84 refurbished tail lights, $250 for the pair. (SOLD)
6. 1 set of refurbished 4 speed Hurst Lighting rod shifters, $1000.
7. Cutlass back up lights. These are from a 1981.... $85
8. 1 OEM used Cutlass Door. $300.
9. 1 Oldsmobile proper catalytic converter. $375.
10. 1 3 piece NOS chin spoiler. $3000.
11. 1 NOS fiberglass chin spoiler. $2000. (Pending)
12. 1 NOS Rear Bumper $500.
13. 1 pair of chrome used 307 Valve covers $50.
14. 1 pair of NOS Cutlass door skins. One has a very small dent that is smaller than a dime. A PDR person will fix this like it was never there. $2500 for the pair.
15. 1 used set of original grilles from a 1987 442. Driver quality. One tab is cracked but all are there. $200.
16. 1 used set of the correct black valve covers for a 307. $150.
17. I full set of interior seats for a non power seat car. Correct maple color. The backs are included for the front seats that are un-restored. $2000.
18. Used dual snorkel with chrome lid air cleaner assembly (SOLD)
19 Amber readout radio, serviced.... $350
20 Green readout radio, serviced ...$300
21. Set of above average driver Euro headlights. $250
22. Above average Sheffield Gray above glove box trim piece... $150
23 4 pieces of NOS behind the door or back quarter trim pieces... $100
24. Below average driver quality set of Euro headlights. I happen to have a replacement lens so all three pieces are (SOLD)
25. Original rear tail lights from a 1985-1988 Could use a good polishing. The correct center logos are included in the sale.(SOLD)
26. 1 NOS cruise, washer and turn signal stick. $150
27. 1 NOS glove box remote push button switch $25
28. 2 air conditional heater and fan control switch units. $50 for both.
29. One excellent condition Sheffield gray above the glove box trim piece.
30. Two new seat side trim pieces....$10 each
31. 1987 complete front wiring harness to be used with euro lights. $150
32. Nice Sheffield Gray radio bezel. $200.
33. Nice Sheffield Gray Shifter bezel $200
34. Average Sheffield Gray Headlight Bezel... $75
35. Average Olds Rocket Sheffield Gray logo a/c bezel $100.
36. Blue Olds steering wheel. No cracks. $300.
37. 1 set of 442 These are nice. Not perfect. You could repaint the pockets and pick up two center caps. $1250 (Pending)

I guess I was lucky with my new cloth seats back in the 2007.

Last edited by HighwayStar 442; July 23rd, 2023 at 09:28 AM.
Old July 23rd, 2023, 10:38 AM

Yes. You are fortunate to be able to find the stuff. But again, that was 16 years ago. What are the chances you'll find the same material now?

However, it looks like you could use some new OEM LR *****...these aren't that rare at my house.

Old July 23rd, 2023, 10:55 AM

Yes. You are fortunate to be able to find the stuff. But again, that was 16 years ago. What are the chances you'll find the same material now?

However, it looks like you could use some new OEM LR *****...these aren't that rare at my house.

Mine are from 1984, Could use a little polish. But almost 40 years of of me using them. It's fine by me. I sold the NOS ones in package on ebay in 2010. A Lot of guy say OEM but, I am not sure they are.

My baby! New in 84

What I made her into today!
Old July 23rd, 2023, 12:28 PM

I can guarantee you my LR ***** are OEM. Direct from the original manufacturer in Chicago. Got them in bulk about 20 years ago when I was searching for new ***** for my 84. I was glad to know I could get them under their part number, albeit I had to commit to a healthy run of those things to get them made at the time. They still made that size base **** for other applications, so it was just the through hole drill and brass insert installation to finish it off.

Hurst didn't make them in-house. They farmed them out to those guys. They're made of bakelite phenolic plastic, under the company's brand of bakelite called Daka-ware. They originally were making ash trays out of that stuff, too. They even sent me a copy of the engineering drawing around here somewhere with the internal part number. On it it says the insert must be able to withstand something like 200 lb pull without coming out, IIRC. I gotta dig around here and find that thing.

You can polish them until the cows come home, but for whatever reason, they don't seem to hold the shine for whatever reason. At least mine didn't. I tried professional rouge polishing on them and they looked great for a while, then for whatever reason started to fade again.

While I was at it, I had them make me a few "samples" of Dual Gate ***** with and without brass inserts installed instead of being all plastic as well since they made those for Hurst too.

All Hurst LR ***** (and Hurst dual-gate ***** as well) that I know of that came in Oldsmobiles since 1968 have Daka-ware, made in USA, Chicago molded onto the bottom of them. Probably for earlier Pontiac and the speed shop versions too, more than likely.

Even the carded ones had "the mark."

Old July 23rd, 2023, 01:53 PM

The ones in the cards are what I sold on Ebay.years ago.
Old August 4th, 2023, 02:46 AM

Good luck on your search. There are alot for sale now. I've seen many on Fb market. Goodluck.
Old August 7th, 2023, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Johnd
I am looking to purchase a 1983 or 1984 Hurst Olds and was wondering where a good place to get OE or OEM parts. I have been searching for ignition wires but none of the ones I find have the factory boots

Look up this gentleman. His 84 is beautiful
Old August 8th, 2023, 05:00 AM

@Jusrushem I couldn't find the listing on Facebook - do you have any idea on miles or condition. If not too much trouble could you send me a picket with his phone number