Here it is, our new H/O category

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2008, 08:58 AM
'69 H/O

mtwalet,

Great story. Thanks for sharing that with us. I never new the "flapper" assembly was ever painted red on some of the early ones. We are custom building some wireless industrial pump systems at work for a customer. The first few were all slightly different as we "adjusted" in a minor sense the materials and the methods to increase quality, efficiency and/or save cost. Eventually we "settled" into a consistant design, so I can understand how that can happen.

Welcome to the site.

Terry
Old November 25th, 2008, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Mine were painted [and badly faded] But when I restored the car I took the Firefrost gold paint formula to the paint store and had them mix the formula in a vinyl dye.
When I re-did mine in '84, it was also badly faded except on the underside. I got a rattle can of gold from the hardware store and it matched exactly, so on that went! Still looks fine at this point. Not a problem when the car doesn't see the sun much.
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Old Time Old's Fan

Originally Posted by 69ho aurora
Some of the magazine articles mentioned the headrest stripes being fabric (or something like that, not painted in any case)... Were your's painted on like most of the cars?
I have never seen nor heard of the headrest stripes being fabric. ALL I have seen (including my former car) were painted. BTW, some of the headrests were painted gold against the black headrest while others had a thin white stripe separating the black and gold.

Last edited by mtwalet; November 25th, 2008 at 11:53 AM. Reason: additional info
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by mtwalet
I have never seen nor heard of the headrest stripes being fabric. ALL I have seen (including my former car) were painted.
X2 [me neither]
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by mtwalet
I have never seen nor heard of the headrest stripes being fabric. ALL I have seen (including my former car) were painted. BTW, some of the headrests were painted gold against the black headrest while others had a thin white stripe separating the black and gold.
The July 69 Motorcade article mentions the headrest stripes being sewn-on. It also mentions the dash plaque saying it was car number 3. If you look at the factory press-release interior photos, you would also see a white pinstripe on the outside of the gold headrest stripes. Of course, those are from the same photo set that show hood locks on the car...

I've never actually seen non-painted stripes on the cars either, but with those extremely early cars, it appears as though there may have been some differences.
Old November 25th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Old Time Old's Fan

The July 69 Motorcade article mentions the headrest stripes being sewn-on. It also mentions the dash plaque saying it was car number 3. If you look at the factory press-release interior photos, you would also see a white pinstripe on the outside of the gold headrest stripes. Of course, those are from the same photo set that show hood locks on the car...

I've never actually seen non-painted stripes on the cars either, but with those extremely early cars, it appears as though there may have been some differences.

Possibly prototype cars?? I've seen early pictures of the proposed 69 H/O...... Rather weird.
Old November 25th, 2008, 07:26 PM

Smile

Terry may be able to add to this. At the Oldsmobile Homecoming in Lansing this year, I remember one of the 69 H/O's in the line had fabric headrest stripes. It looked "different" as I peered into the window (driver's side) so I confirmed things by touching it. I don't know if was an add-on or what, because I never got to speak to the owner of that car.
Also, I was talking to someone there who told me that Doc Watson had told him years ago that the gold for the headrest stripe was a chevy engine paint color. Anyone else heard that one?
Old November 26th, 2008, 07:57 AM
'69 H/O

Sorry, don't recall noticing that in Lansing. There were a couple of '69's that came and went that I missed.

However, I do recall seeing one with gold fabric inserts on the headrests that was for sale last year in Nebraska, but It had a custom interior or possibly a cutlass or F85 variant interior. The interior design was identical to an original '69 H/O with respect to stitching, pleating, seat cover panel shape and size but with cloth, almost velourlike pleats on the door panels and seat panel inserts. I don't have a real good pic of it, but here's one from the back seat. (attached)

Notice the gold cloth headrest trim and cloth insert in the driver seat and the late model steering wheel (which looks really good in a '69 I might add).

Terry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2938336_19_full.jpg (55.0 KB, 44 views)
Old December 14th, 2008, 04:06 PM

Some of the magazine articles mentioned the headrest stripes being fabric (or something like that, not painted in any case)... Were your's painted on like most of the cars?
....As far as i know the " FABRIC HEADREST " was only on the ..Proto-type...But my 69 H/O has the fabric..but that was done by the old owner...
Old December 14th, 2008, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by 93Code86GN
Sorry, don't recall noticing that in Lansing. There were a couple of '69's that came and went that I missed.

However, I do recall seeing one with gold fabric inserts on the headrests that was for sale last year in Nebraska, but It had a custom interior or possibly a cutlass or F85 variant interior. The interior design was identical to an original '69 H/O with respect to stitching, pleating, seat cover panel shape and size but with cloth, almost velourlike pleats on the door panels and seat panel inserts. I don't have a real good pic of it, but here's one from the back seat. (attached)

Notice the gold cloth headrest trim and cloth insert in the driver seat and the late model steering wheel (which looks really good in a '69 I might add).

Terry
...LOL..........I bought this CAR that your talkin bout...!! ...
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:08 PM
'69 H/O

Which car? The car in Lansing, or the car from Nebraska? Or are they one and the same?

If the Nebraska car, you got yourself one nice H/O at a very fair price. The seller seemed like a real nice guy too. You were one phone call ahead of me on it. Congratulations on your purchase.
Old December 15th, 2008, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by 93Code86GN
Which car? The car in Lansing, or the car from Nebraska? Or are they one and the same?

If the Nebraska car, you got yourself one nice H/O at a very fair price. The seller seemed like a real nice guy too. You were one phone call ahead of me on it. Congratulations on your purchase.
..lol..Yeah the nebraska one..he did say someone from new york was interested...he was a very nice guy too..Im surprised he sold it after having it since 1981...Did you buy another one..?? or did you have one already..??
Old December 16th, 2008, 07:28 AM
'69 H/O

Well, you know how it is. Interests and priorities can change in life.

I did buy my first and only one last spring. Ironically, from right in your back yard....., across the river from you.

Again, you got a real nice car there. I love the look from the rear with the detailed gas tank and undercarriage ..... and the aluminum W27 diff cover....Cool
Old December 16th, 2008, 01:14 PM

..Really..?? where did yah find the one in Jersey at..?? was it in the paper..? internet.?etc...
Old December 16th, 2008, 05:07 PM
'69 H/O

Originally Posted by 666 the legend
..Really..?? where did yah find the one in Jersey at..?? was it in the paper..? internet.?etc...
....Trenton...

....spotted on a non-ebay fledging auction site in early summer '07, minimally motivated seller, followed up over a period of months finally went to look at end of November '07, made the deal this past spring. Took delivery at Thornton's after some minor detail work.
Old December 16th, 2008, 06:41 PM

.....Got any pics..??
Old December 17th, 2008, 01:17 PM
'69 H/O

Check near beginning of this thread:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...6-new-guy.html
Old December 18th, 2008, 01:24 PM

..Your Engine compartment looks real nice......I gotta get mine atleast painted ..RED...lol.......And I gotta get an air cleaner too......I hate poppin the hood and not seeing the stock aircleaner in there..!!....But..atleast i put the original door panels on..Now i just gotta take the seats out and get the upholstery shop to put my new skins on..and get a steering wheel too.....and then Ill be GOOD for awhile...But..I have a ..72 trans /AM thats gettin re-done as i speak...and my Motor will be done for my 67 camaro this week..So I can mess around with that for the winter...So...? whens the last time you had your..H/O out..?? I had mine out last Sunday..puttin around..
Old December 18th, 2008, 01:46 PM

...# 57...I know the rims are a more SILVERY but....I wanted it to look lil different...
Old December 27th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Toro68

For you 1968-69 H/O guys and gals, was the W-34 Toroando 455 V -8 version used in the Hurst/Olds? I know the heads are different (H/O d heads, 1967-69 Toros - C heads).

Old December 27th, 2008, 10:20 AM

I heard that they did use the TORO motors...in the H/O's...Dont hold me to it..though..??
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by 666 the legend
I heard that they did use the TORO motors...in the H/O's...Dont hold me to it..though..??
I believe the blocks were, at least for '68.... since there wasn't such a thing as an A-body 455 block.
Old December 29th, 2008, 03:52 PM

For 1968, besides the color (which as red, matches the 88/98, not the blue Toro color), I've got a 6-18-68 document that lists the part number differences between a W-45 engine and a '98' engine. There are 37 differences listed. It then goes on to say that the a/c W-46 engine is based on the 1968 455 Police engine and lists 23 changes. The trans was a 442 W30 code OW trans with 3 changes.

For 1969, the engine is listed as a basic 35L32 engine (optional Delta 88 390hp engine) with 18 differences listed on a 4-17-1969 Hurst document. The trans was a code OH, which was a fullsized OL transmission with 10 changes.

Bottom line for 68/9, while many of the parts are still the same (between all models), they didn't even start with a Toro engine...
Old December 29th, 2008, 06:53 PM

..So..?? the 69 H/O's have DELTA motors..Humm..Like I said I really wasnt sure ..I never researched it before..just heard they were toro motors...Very cool to know these kinda things...
Old June 23rd, 2009, 11:25 PM

69 HO's for sale

Sir: Did you get my e-mail last week regarding the 2 H/O's and numerous parts that I was selling? I was asking your advise on how to dispose of it all. Thank you, Jack.
Old July 6th, 2009, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassjack
Sir: Did you get my e-mail last week regarding the 2 H/O's and numerous parts that I was selling? I was asking your advise on how to dispose of it all. Thank you, Jack.
...If you were talkin to me..?? I didnt get any e-mails...whatcha got..??
Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:34 PM
My 73HO

I like this section! I am of course jealous of you guys with the 68's & 69's because the 70 models will never be worth what your cars are. We all love our cars for different reason and my 1st car was a frog (forest) green 73 Cutlass so it was natural for me to want that year again. I own 4 Hurst/Olds currently, 3 U code with A/C and a V code that I am very excited about restoring next as it was the car I originally sought to buy when I began my toy collection. One of the 3 A/C cars is only in title, the car was stolen & never recovered.......
Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Hurstolds1973
I like this section! I am of course jealous of you guys with the 68's & 69's because the 70 models will never be worth what your cars are. We all love our cars for different reason and my 1st car was a frog (forest) green 73 Cutlass so it was natural for me to want that year again. I own 4 Hurst/Olds currently, 3 U code with A/C and a V code that I am very excited about restoring next as it was the car I originally sought to buy when I began my toy collection. One of the 3 A/C cars is only in title, the car was stolen & never recovered.......
..I really like the 73 Hurst olds...Especially the white ones...I almost bought one last year......

Last edited by 666 the legend; July 23rd, 2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old July 24th, 2009, 06:10 PM
My 73HO

Yea the white ones carry that classic H/O look like yours. When this restoration of Rusty is complete I think I'm going to sell the nice one I drive now and look for a white V code next....But thats way way way in the future.
Old November 26th, 2009, 07:54 PM

I just picked up a 74 H/O W30 car. Unfortunately the motor is mia but it is otherwise complete. Very rusty but all the h/o specific parts are present and accounted for. White car, one of 380 W30 cars built from what I found. Also have a real clean 74 442 that may become a doner car to revive the H/O.