68 H/O on ebay - 15K miles original?

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2014, 01:05 PM

68 H/O on ebay - 15K miles original?

This:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151259598288...98288&viewitem=

Car supposedly has 15K original miles.
It seems like much as been done to it.
However - the photos saves me from taking and posting photos of mine!
Please pick apart what seems wrong. It would be a great help to me!
For example - is the master cylinder original?

When I bought my H/O in the fall of 1993 my car had headers but did have what appeared to be original mufflers. They are dented but do have GM part numbers on them. I still have the mufflers and tail-pipes.
Back to the ebay car - it just seems too restored to have 15K on it.
Old March 25th, 2014, 02:12 PM

Very nice.

Couple small items I see, looks like one of those nasty cast metal repop H/O emblems on the decklid, incorrect OAI hoses (maybe the original cloth type is no longer available), and the lower stripe layout is not so great.

Wonder why they didn't post a picture of the trim tag? Not much of a description of the actual car at all.

Still a really nice car.

Definitely seen worse......
Old March 25th, 2014, 02:15 PM

Heat riser lower parts don't look right or missing?
Old March 25th, 2014, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Joe68hurst
This:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151259598288...98288&viewitem=

Car supposedly has 15K original miles.
It seems like much as been done to it.
However - the photos saves me from taking and posting photos of mine!
Please pick apart what seems wrong. It would be a great help to me!
For example - is the master cylinder original?

When I bought my H/O in the fall of 1993 my car had headers but did have what appeared to be original mufflers. They are dented but do have GM part numbers on them. I still have the mufflers and tail-pipes.
Back to the ebay car - it just seems too restored to have 15K on it.
Limiting this to only what is or looks wrong, not just worn

There's been a fair amount of monkey biz with the dual gate itself. Top plate screws I believe are incorrect, and that red spliced wire sticking out from under the consolette is suspect for a 14K mile car. I know there is no spec for it, but the decklid emblem seems a little too inboard and high for me.

Engine was painted in the car with overspray on some brackets/manifolds/undercarriage. Has wrong oil fill cap, door jamb and radiator top plate decals incorrect or in the wrong position as per the PIM, oil & temp senders changed out on a 14K mile car?, voltage regulator capacitor painted over (?), weird engine wiring harness loom. Booster to pipe hose routing wrong (should bend up) and is PVS and hoses missing? (I have an air car - do the W-45's delete this?)

Hood springs/hinges a funky color, main washer hose disconnected at the pump, tail pipe to hanger clamps wrong, floor mats, OAI duct hoses the plastic version.

Joe
Old March 25th, 2014, 02:29 PM
morgan

cant call it...where are the engine pics

...pics are still loading
Old March 25th, 2014, 02:30 PM

The Alternator is also not correct, with the raised ridge on the front face. It is a very nice car though.
Old March 25th, 2014, 02:36 PM
morgan

car looks good, very clean, D heads
Old March 25th, 2014, 02:38 PM

Wrong tailpipe clamps, wrong alt pulley, 2 chunks missing off the woodgrain dash near the ig sw. Wrong master cyl, tailpipe trumpets look too long to be factory. No posi tag, cogged belts...many of the pics are cut making all this stuff hard to see. Like the pic under of the tank, you can't see the exhaust well. You can't see the bat cables. Trust me...many people on ebay LIE BIG TIME. They take pics from angles where you can't see stuff, they only show the good stuff. I'd bet both my ex-wives lives that car has more than 15K!!!
Old March 25th, 2014, 09:48 PM

wrong trim on scoops ,looks like 70 ralley gauge in dash,looks like nice car for right price, need to see cowl tag ,doubt 14 k and id like to know more history

Last edited by driverchoice; March 25th, 2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old March 26th, 2014, 02:42 AM
Shoveling Snow

It could have been drag reached for most of it's life hence needing to be put back together. But I would think that would be a plus in the listing worth mentioning.
Old March 26th, 2014, 05:14 AM

driverchoice is right, that's a 70-72 rallye gauge pac in there, what a royally stupid thing to do on a resto, it looks ridiculously out of place. I really doubt the miles, but, sure is a nice car to make right if it doesn't get too expensive.
Old March 26th, 2014, 06:37 AM

Thanks to all for the feed back! It really helps.

Is the master cylinder correct?

I removed my original 37A alternator on mine in the 90s (I don't recall the specific date codes but they did check out as original to the car) and of course - lost it!

The screw heads on my shifter are philips-head, and judging by the discoloration on them they should be original.

I am still not much of an expert on the badges; mine seemed like plastic and not pot-metal but I've never had them off.

The hood safety latch on my car was broken when I bought it. I drove the car up to Great Lakes Dragway just to be teched - not to race. I for some reason just set the hood down and didn't latch it, and then I watched some racing.
When I left and got up to about 50-60 MPH, FOOPH - the hood went up!
Bent it but was still able to slam it shut. I eventually had the hood replaced but have the original - which is bent, of course. (It also appeared that the hood popped up on someone else previous to my ownership.) I kept the hood so I could documet the "X" on the underside. Yes - I also replaced the hinges with original 68 parts - man that hood is low when opened!

The wrong gages is a major error. My car came with idiot lights and a clock cover - no tic-toc-tach.

I've asked for some basic information from the seller but haven't heard back yet.
Old March 26th, 2014, 08:06 AM

Listen...this is like the ABSOLUTE WORST car you should be using for reference. Forget the 15K, it's a "puppy mill" car and pieced together. It's like looking at that W30 that just sold for $$$ and somebody here was using it for a reference. That car the conv. top and exhaust and things under the hood were tampered with. NO...I said before, I don't think the master cyl is original. At the least it should have bleeders. I do believe a 68 MC is different than a 69, because the system was different. It IS a nice car, but IMHO by the time you fixed all the stuff wrong with it, you would be way over it's worth.
Old March 26th, 2014, 10:03 AM

Hot air pipes look OK but I see a W RH manifold, should be Y
red paint on the PS bracket- shoddy
refreshing to see a correct PCV tube on a 1968 model.

Needs body tag a more photos of the questionable areas.

I agree that's a lot of replaced stuff for 15k, maybe 115K.
Trans code would be important, and its VIN stamp
Old March 26th, 2014, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by mrolds69
Listen...this is like the ABSOLUTE WORST car you should be using for reference. Forget the 15K, it's a "puppy mill" car and pieced together. It's like looking at that W30 that just sold for $$$ and somebody here was using it for a reference. That car the conv. top and exhaust and things under the hood were tampered with. NO...I said before, I don't think the master cyl is original. At the least it should have bleeders. I do believe a 68 MC is different than a 69, because the system was different. It IS a nice car, but IMHO by the time you fixed all the stuff wrong with it, you would be way over it's worth.

It is the correct style master cylinder (the fat tubby one with the dual bails) but is missing the bleeders.
Old March 26th, 2014, 12:37 PM

Hmmm. My hot air pipes looked completely different at the manifold end. Mine had that flattened out snorkel piece that looks like a vacuum attachment.

In fact, that's all I've ever seen on the 68 H/O. Maybe I'm just not seeing it right in the pictures? My eyes are getting older......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (26.4 KB, 51 views)
Old March 26th, 2014, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by jozw30
Hmmm. My hot air pipes looked completely different at the manifold end. Mine had that flattened out snorkel piece that looks like a vacuum attachment.

In fact, that's all I've ever seen on the 68 H/O. Maybe I'm just not seeing it right in the pictures? My eyes are getting older......

You are absolutely right. Your pic shows the correct parts and their finishes.
Old March 26th, 2014, 08:58 PM

Shouldn't the "body by Fisher" tag have two rivets on it, looks like its a repo trim piece as it is glued on the stainless
Old March 26th, 2014, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by jozw30

If you look close I think he painted or coated the lower half the same as the manifold
Old March 28th, 2014, 11:21 AM

Ive talked with the consignor several times. Car is #446. 3 owner car and the current owner resides in Oklahoma? Repainted once by second owner... engine bay freshened up, new engine harness (previous owner had no confidence in old wiring) Original interior original window sticker and protect-o-plate and extensive documentation, except mileage. Car is for sale locally at $89,900. Consignor is very nice guy to talk to...Doesn't expect this car to sell on ebay... That's all I know. Would love to have this car but not for $89K...
Old April 3rd, 2014, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by costpenn
It is the correct style master cylinder (the fat tubby one with the dual bails) but is missing the bleeders.
yep. I believe it's a DW code too, for the correct application code
Old April 8th, 2014, 02:09 PM

Thanks again for all of the posts. I e-mailed the seller and he did respond, but not to my request to get a copy of the window sticker. I would love to see one of those - I've only seen one other one, for a high-optioned 68 A/C hardtop.
Old April 8th, 2014, 04:08 PM
morgan

Originally Posted by Joe68hurst
Thanks again for all of the posts. I e-mailed the seller and he did respond, but not to my request to get a copy of the window sticker. I would love to see one of those - I've only seen one other one, for a high-optioned 68 A/C hardtop.
if your not interested in the car and want info from the seller like a copy of the window sticker to have...im not surprised that he didnt send it
Old April 9th, 2014, 06:50 AM

Pogo,
I believe in an open exchange of information. Just seeing what a window sticker looks like helps to educate on what was or wasn't on a particular car - or what was possible. I did contact the seller as a buyer as I have an uncle who is interested in the car but is our of the country on business.

I have several invoices on some rare 69' Pontiac Grand Prixs, including my own 1 of 94 428 HO 4spd car, the 1 of 3 428 HO 3spd manual that my Dad owned (car was scrapped a year after selling), and a 1 of the-order-form-says-it-wasn't available 428 HO 4spd w/A/C car.

The VIN on my 68 H/O ends in 417131. If I had documentation I would post it. I also inquired about a list of VINs from Demmer Engineering back in 1999 - offering to pay to have someone search for a list. Suffice to say I didn't get a copy of the list when it was found.
Attached Images
MidnightGrn-J-3spd-GZ.jpg (70.9 KB, 41 views)
Old April 9th, 2014, 08:44 AM

Here is what I believe is an original '68 H/O window sticker - found on the 'net somewhere. 400871
Attached Images
400871%20Window%20Sticker.jpg (64.3 KB, 46 views)
Old April 9th, 2014, 09:13 AM

WOW - THANKS hurst68olds!
That is Demmer #198 and is on the registry copy that I have, although the copy I have is from 2008. That is the only 68 H/O that Jaeger Olds in Milwaukee, WI sold. Thanks again - mystery solved!

Hmmn - door edge guards? I thought those might have interferred with the striped. I've wanted those just to protect the edges of the doors - my car sure could have used them!
Old April 9th, 2014, 11:37 AM

My "good" H/O has door edge guards (from Hern Olds in Bedford, OH), how complete is the list you have? My "bad" H/O is from Chesrown Olds Newark, OH - how many from Newark & from Chesrown Olds Columbus, OH? This B&W pic is one of the Chesrown cars, it could be my car - original owner of the B&W pictured car has the addendum window sticker from his car but it doesn't have any VIN info on it. The OPTIONS match his memory, but how could we be sure?
Attached Images
hern olds HO.jpg (31.7 KB, 33 views)
chesrown olds HO bw.jpg (73.0 KB, 28 views)
Old April 9th, 2014, 12:45 PM

Wait - were you the guy that Diego Rosenberg introduced me to at the MACAN show back in November? If it was you, you stated that you thought you had the "car in front of Chesrown's race car". Chesrown got (6) cars - numbers 131, 154, 183, 219, 265 and 395. Note that the "race car" might not be included in that, as it might have been converted from a W31 or a 442 - sort of the first 68 Hurst/Olds "clone"! I think the race car is the Ron Garey car.

I will not be able to help more on documenting your car with regards to original equipment; there is no invoice service for Olds as there is for Pontiac. Karl Sarpolis has the VIN list (he got it from the Hurst/Olds club people) and can advise which Demmer number your car is specifically, by VIN.
e-mail: karlskorner@comcast.net
He's in the process of moving and so might not have access to all of the info that he has.

There appears to be a "patina" on tops of the doors of your "good" car - reminds me of my car, where some original paint still resides. Jim Hern Olds Bedford, OH also received (6) cars - numbers 323, 328, 412, 437, 444 and 467.

The "Demmer list" that I do have merely lists the dealer name, city, state and Demmer numbers. The registry copy I have is much more detailed but of course doesn't have all of the cars. Karl has been meaning to send me an update of that as well.

Last edited by Joe68hurst; April 9th, 2014 at 12:48 PM. Reason: 6 cars - not 7
Old April 9th, 2014, 01:53 PM

I have Chesrown #154 - the race car was converted from a F85 "police pursuit" sport coupe. The Hern Olds car is 409964 #32? - I don't have the info at my fingertips. Both are Holiday Coupes w/o A/C.
Old April 9th, 2014, 02:09 PM

Maybe a reunion is in their futures?
Attached Images