1969 Hurst/Olds Heat riser shroud

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2022, 12:48 PM

1969 Hurst/Olds Heat riser shroud

Hey Guys
I'm a bit confused and puzzled I was trying to put the shroud on the exhaust manifold now I had the kit to attach the TOP of the shroud to the Fine Tooth head stud - the kit had the fine tooth nut & washer and the 2 screws for the tube. That's all in place, on the BOTTOM of the SHROUD are two slotted holes - where the hell do I attach that Bottom to? Please HelpThanksAlsmith787
Old September 7th, 2022, 02:27 PM

There's supposed to be two raised "bumps" or "tabs" on the bottom of the exhaust manifold that fit into the slotted holes. It's not going to be anything but friction fit on the bottom, with the "bumps" or "tabs" to keep the bottom from sliding out. The stud on top keeps the top section tight. If installed correctly, it's not going to move. I've never tried to install the stoves while the engine is in the car. It'd be a super-tight fit anyway if you could. Possibility you may need to jack up the pass. side of the engine slightly to get it to fit on correctly.

You can see the bumps on the bottom of this exhaust manifold. They should be there. IIRC, the aftermarket ones have them as well, but I'm not 100% on that.

Old September 7th, 2022, 03:46 PM

Makes Sense

Thank you I'm going to replace the exhaust manifold anyway BUT I wanted to play around with the heat riser trying to get everything back to off assy line OEM spirit didn't want my buddy start thinking of where does this go? Thought if everything is on its self explanatory especially when he puts it on the lift and starts removing figure besides adding parts in my garage I can spray the bolts for a week or so to make things easierAgain thanksAlsmith787
Old September 8th, 2022, 04:58 AM

I have a similar situation. My engine was rebuilt and is back in the car but the heat shroud was not installed at the time. A further complication is the studded head bolt for the top of the shroud was installed on the driver's side instead of the passenger side.

Any thoughts or concerns if I remove the studded head bolt on the drivers side and the corresponding one on the passenger side and switch them around without causing any issues to the seal of the head gaskets/cylinder compression/water jacket leaks etc?

Thank you
Old September 8th, 2022, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ontario69Hurst
I have a similar situation. My engine was rebuilt and is back in the car but the heat shroud was not installed at the time. A further complication is the studded head bolt for the top of the shroud was installed on the driver's side instead of the passenger side.

Any thoughts or concerns if I remove the studded head bolt on the drivers side and the corresponding one on the passenger side and switch them around without causing any issues to the seal of the head gaskets/cylinder compression/water jacket leaks etc?

Thank you
Sure, give it a whirl. Make sure that's the only bolt you mess with on each side, though. Ensure it's torqued down to proper spec. Then obviously watch it as the engine warms up and gets to operating temp.