1969 H/O oil pan

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2022, 05:45 AM

1969 H/O oil pan

Hi Guys - I'm keeping this on the Hurst Forum you Guys have been right/correct on so many H/O questions & advise not only responsive but Accurate always -- so I need your Help on my 69 H/O I've decided it's time to change my beat up Oil Pan and stop the leaks - I want to change the pan without removing the engine (I know some of you have done this & yes I know it's easier to pull the engine that isn't a option at this point) my question is what oil pan (after market) is best for changing it with engine in the car (by the way played a little with disconnecting mounts + pulled distributor + fan shroud just to see it looks doable did this with a friend in his service shop I was replacing exhaust manifolds so made it easier for that way). Question then becomes should I buy a after market & which one? Want to keep everything Stock no deeper pans or any mods or should I try to purchase a original & true it up with help from a machine/sheet metal shop? Need your advise & guidance reason why I say a old used pan is I'd know it would fit no B.S. it would come off a 455 & I haven't seen a aftermarket pan with the dip stick on the driver's side of the pan which you all know that's what's on the H/O 455 -- HELP!
THANKSAlsmith787
Old November 14th, 2022, 07:58 AM
Banned

68 H/O oil pan replacement

Can't help but invisioning the bootie plans that have port on side of pan for dipstic tube
Olds pans have a deviation that makes room for the tube that goes into the block a few inches
they also have dimples & a baffel

Not a bad idea to round up another dipstick tube as rust is common cause of failure for them as well
Pickup should be cleaned & depending on milage , you may consider installing a quality hi volume oil pump & rear main seal
Old November 14th, 2022, 08:10 AM

1969 H/O oil pan

Thanks Oldsmobile Story good idea on dipstick but remember I'm asking you guys because I want to change oil pan with engine in the car and the dipstick is on driver's side - guess I have to ask even though this isn't the forum but does anyone have a oil pan with dipstick on driver's side out of a 442 with a 455 they want to sell? Sorry didn't mean to do this on here -- I really want your advise doing this w/engine in carThanksAlsmith787
Old November 14th, 2022, 08:54 AM
Banned

Perfect place to ask for a pan

Saw that was implied & one of details in private message covered how to identify the 65 -76 olds big block pan
400 , 425 455 all same.. & a possible supplier
small block pans have same bolt pattern but certainly are not same

You are on the right tright track
A post in Parts wanted here should produce a few options for a pan & I shall p/m you about another issue that will help you
Old December 10th, 2022, 03:38 AM

search over

Glad to hear you located a pan
I too located some I had forgotten

Can you document the makers marks on boltheads if not too much to ask ?

Thanks