General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Glass Bowl Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2011, 10:23 AM

Glass Bowl Fuel Filter

Can anyone send me a photo of how the glass bowl fuel filter is mounted on a 1962 Cutlass F85 with 4 BBl carb? I looked in the maunals and there is nothing mentioned about it or where it should be mounted. A picture would be worth a thousand words for me here. Is it mounted on the carburetor?
Old October 27th, 2011, 04:05 AM

It goes like this below the fuel pump. Meaning you must have the correct fuel pump of course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0074.jpg (58.9 KB, 97 views)
Old March 29th, 2012, 06:09 PM

I have the same question, also could not find this in the manuals. So the filter goes in the bowl. I guess the previous owner just took out the filter, my bowl is empty, other than the gas in it. The filter does fit snug in the bowl, so then just stick the bowl with the filter in it back on the bottom of the pump? I tried it but something didn't seem right. I could be missing more parts though.
Thanks for the picture!
Old March 31st, 2012, 09:23 PM

62 Cutlass 215 fuel filter

ok I put the fuel filter in tonight, but I think I am missing something. the filter fits in the bowl but when i put it back on the pump, it's about a 1/4" away from the pump, making it useless. I have attached pictures. Anyone know what's missing, or what i am doing wrong?

The Filter, bowl, gasket, ect
Chippewa-20120331-00299.jpg

pump as i found it, no filter
Chippewa-20120331-00301.jpg

filter in the bowl, see gap above the filter
Chippewa-20120331-00292.jpg

bottom of pump with bowl and screen removed. is something missing ?
Chippewa-20120331-00296.jpg
Thanks

Last edited by RyanFink; March 31st, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old April 1st, 2012, 10:22 AM

The fuel flows down from the center hole and has to go through the filter to go up in the two slots both side of the center hole. For this to happen, the filter has to be open at the bottom and there must be a filter effect between the bowl and the little holes in the upper filter gasket.

I did purchase on ebay while ago a fuel filter element but useless by design. I ended up cleaning the original element. I had a hard time to do that as it was really really dirty, almost a fossile. Fortunately the original filter element is made of some porous hard material (can't name it tough) that can be reused once cleaned.

To instal the filter properly all it takes is the new rubber ring seal you have to seal the top of the filter and the bowl at once. The mesh goes in first, then the cartridge, then the rubber seal, then the bowl. Hope it helps.

Last edited by Goumoun; April 3rd, 2012 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Description was incorrect.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 08:20 PM

Ahh, that makes sense. Thank you for the help. Tried again tonight with the element first, then the gasket, but The center of the new gasket is too large, the filter falls down through it. I'm going to try to make one from some sheet rubber, or just put an inline filter on it.
Thanks again!
Old April 3rd, 2012, 11:28 PM

Pay attention as it takes special rubber to withstand fuel. Alternatively you may want to expand the diameter of the filter base gasket with a ring made of carburetor gasket material, just an idea. FYI the OEM filter base is a flat aluminum ring, but that can be difficult to clean cut a metal ring. The outside diameter of the filter base fits insde the bowl, meaning it is actually smaller than the the bowl sealing contact. If you make it as large as the bowl you will have a leak, sealing at the bowl may be challenging.

I also have an inline filter ahead of the pump, my fuel tank is rusty from decade of storage. It is getting better now as the car is now driven but there is still a fine powder of rust coming in. Actually this OEM fuel filter is very efficient as it catches very fine particles that creates a little drop of mud in the bowl that the inline filter did not catch.

Last edited by Goumoun; April 3rd, 2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old April 4th, 2012, 11:51 AM

Fuel Filter Question etc.

In the old days, there was a small little spring that would go between
the gas filter top and the (bottom) of the glass bowl -- nothing fancy
required -- can pick up a small little spring "to fill the gap" at your local
Home Depot or hardware store...

I have the correct fuel pump with glass bowl for (and a WHOLE BUNCH
more parts) for the 1961 - 1963 Olds Cutlass / F85 s -- all motors!!!!
These are, of course, OBSOLETE, through "regular channels"

Always best to call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935....New York....
Old January 15th, 2017, 06:59 PM
LegendsGarageDayton

Leaking fuel at glass

I can not seem to get the bowl to seal properly and gas pours from it. The rubber looks good. Any thoughts?
Old January 13th, 2022, 06:59 AM

On my Toyota Van F Space Cruiser 1987, I fix an electric fuel pump. In the early morning or when the engine is cool, I turn on the key, the electric pump takes the gas to the bowl at right level, so I can start the engine easily.
Old January 13th, 2022, 02:34 PM

Well that's nice to know.
Old January 14th, 2022, 05:52 PM

Could be wrong on this, but I think that stone like filter is made of pumas.... Tedd