General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Vacuum tanks

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2015, 08:50 AM
Bfg

Vacuum tanks

I'm working on my 65 Cutlass convertible. It has a/c with a power trunk release. The question I have is how many vacuum tanks does the car suppose to have? My car has two vacuum tanks mounted along side of each other and one that looks like it was mounted under the top of the drivers fender but is no longer there but has the mounting tabs that look like they were broken off still intacted on the firewall. According to the service manual the car has two tanks, one for a/c and the other one for trunk release. What would the other vacuum tank be for?
Old September 27th, 2015, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bfg
I'm working on my 65 Cutlass convertible. It has a/c with a power trunk release. The question I have is how many vacuum tanks does the car suppose to have? My car has two vacuum tanks mounted along side of each other and one that looks like it was mounted under the top of the drivers fender but is no longer there but has the mounting tabs that look like they were broken off still intacted on the firewall. According to the service manual the car has two tanks, one for a/c and the other one for trunk release. What would the other vacuum tank be for?
All the information I have says that it should have two tanks. The one under the fender is for the trunk release. The one near the regulator is for the AC/heater. In 1966 Toronado had one for the headlights, but that wouldn't apply to yours. If you don't know the complete history of the car perhaps someone just relocated the one from under the fender.
Old September 27th, 2015, 12:44 PM
Bfg

That's what I was thinking. Don't know the history of the car, perhaps the car was in an accident at some time and cracked the tank.