General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Start after long storage--advise needed

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2009, 11:51 AM

Start after long storage--advise needed

Hello,

I have a 1972 Cutalss S (350 4 bbl) that I have had for 20 years, however, for the last 15-16 years it has been in storage in a field. I'm looking for any advise on getting this girl started again. I have already pulled the gas tank and flushed it with acetone and pulled the carb and cleaned it out (Holley 650 cfm). I'm planning on pulling the plugs and squirting in some marvel oil in each cylinder and truning over by hand, then cahnging the oil, and getting a new battery. Any other advise on this would be VERY appreciated! Thanks!

Ben
Old May 31st, 2009, 12:56 PM

After sitting that long all the bearings will be dry. Think you can pre oil the system with a electric drill. some one should be able to give you step by step on it. Nice to get it running better to keep it running.
Old June 1st, 2009, 03:03 AM

I just had to start mine that I picked up from my Uncle that sat for 5 years.
But mine sat inside a garage for 5 years. You've listed everything that I did
as well to mine, except for

1. Give the starter a few good whacks to break it loose.
2. I jumped the 2 terminals on the solenoid to get it running.
3. New fuel filter
4. Drain the fuel lines as well.
5. Flush the trans and fill.

Dropping the trans pan isn't simple, because the rear 2 bolts have a cutout but
it's not big enough to get a socket into.....so I wasn't able to flush mine, just filled it.

BTW to get the Modern Marvel oil into ea cylinder I bought a tin man oil can.
Available at most parts stores for $7

Last edited by Aceshigh; June 1st, 2009 at 03:07 AM.
Old June 1st, 2009, 04:43 AM

Good advice above. I would also run one quart of automatic transmission fluid in the oil. The trans fluid has a detergent in it that will clean sludge out of the engine. Just run the car regularly for 100 miles than drain the oil and change the filter. Works wonders, also frees up lifters. Did it on an old Dodge I once had that sat for 10 years.
Old June 1st, 2009, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by 72 cutlass455
After sitting that long all the bearings will be dry. Think you can pre oil the system with a electric drill. some one should be able to give you step by step on it. Nice to get it running better to keep it running.
When you get ready to start her, instead of an electric drill, first take out the spark plugs and crank the engine over until you get oil pressure. Then put the plugs back in and start her up. Let us know how it goes.
Old June 1st, 2009, 05:02 AM

Sorry for the multiple post but when you get old things don't always come all at once. A car sitting that long outside will probably have electrical problems due to corrosion on contact points. I would first pull all the fuses from the fuse box and take some fine sand paper or emery cloth and clean all the fuse contacts and fuses. If some of the lights do not work take out the bulbs and clean the contacts. Hope this helps.
Old June 1st, 2009, 05:17 AM

Thanks for all the great advise!

I'll let everyone know how things are going and post some pics soon. Thanks again!

Ben, Missoula MT

72 Cutlass S
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:07 AM

Welcome to the site. I suggest that before you crank it over by hand that your remove the distributor (mark the location for re-install) then spin the oil pump with a drill counter clockwise to pump oil to the bearings that way when you turn the engine over it will have oil on the bearings. Then reinstall the distributor before you turn the engine over so the firing order remains correct. X2 on adding the trans fluid