General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Rubbish Accelerator Pump Cup

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2013, 12:31 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Rubbish Accelerator Pump Cup

Check what I just pulled out of my carb. It was purchased from NAPA and installed 6 months ago.
I began to notice some sticking of the throttle on acceleration and this was the cause. I thought the blue cup was good in alcohol.

I bought a new one from Cliff Ruggles. The shaft is a bit shorter, but it works just fine. Lets see how long that lasts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old July 18th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Your the second one to suffer this problem recently. I wonder if the gas station you frequent is keeping the ethanol at no more than 10%? Hopefully it's fixed.
Old July 18th, 2013, 01:52 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Who knows what those gas guys are doing. Soon it will be worse thanks to 15%. I am normally a supporter of Clean Living, but using food to power cars makes no sense.
Old July 18th, 2013, 02:06 PM

pcard,

Make sure the quadrajet accelerator pump bore is nice and smooth too.
Old July 18th, 2013, 03:13 PM

Not all blue cups are the same. The amount of ethanol scares me. I had some roughness with my 2007 Charger R/T a couple years ago. The dealer showed me some samples of area gasolines, with ethanol as high as 30%! I'm not sure if that would effect even the best pump cup. It sure made the car run lousy, and the dealer said it was really srewing up some cars fuel injectors.
Old July 18th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by pcard
I bought a new one from Cliff Ruggles. The shaft is a bit shorter, but it works just fine. Lets see how long that lasts.
Joe (costpenn) just went through this with his 455 too. The new one he got from Sparky seems to have turned the corner, at least that's what he says.

From what I read on that thread (Bill Demmer) there's no guarantee how long any of these parts last with ethanol fuels, and most of the suppliers get their parts from the same source.

Good luck with the new unit Peter.
Old July 18th, 2013, 07:55 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Joe - I thought of that after I had got that little choke rod hooked in the lever (you know what that is like), so I am taking my chances.

Thanks Allan, I will update if I have to go through this again.

Cheers, Peter
Old July 18th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

I just put a pump plunger just like that one in my QJ about 2 months ago.

I'll keep an eye on it, and I'll report back if it fails.
If so, then it's Cliff or Sparky, and we'll see whether that one is better.

Very frustrating.

- Eric
Old July 18th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Just the facts...

we stopped using the blue cups-nothing but problems, I'm sorry to say. These were especially recommended for use with ethanol fuel. We went back to the black cups with very few problems.

bill
Old July 19th, 2013, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by BILL DEMMER
we stopped using the blue cups-nothing but problems, I'm sorry to say. These were especially recommended for use with ethanol fuel. We went back to the black cups with very few problems.

bill

I've noticed a couple different blues too. One that came out of my '73 qjet was on the car for about six years (came with a rebuild kit from NAPA) and that was a lighter blue; the cup is still nice and soft too. The pump in the rebuilt kit that i got from Ruggles for my '72 qjet earlier this year has a darker and slightly smaller blue cup but with that spring behind it, it was a tighter fit in the accelerator pump bore.
Old July 19th, 2013, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by pcard
Joe - I thought of that after I had got that little choke rod hooked in the lever (you know what that is like), so I am taking my chances.

Cheers, Peter
You will certainly be inside of that qjet again, probably sooner than later . It can be addictive. "What do you do in your spare time, sir?" "Uhhh, Rochester Quadrajets". Next time i'm going to do it blindfolded, so I'm thinking about having a representative from the Guiness Book of World Records over.
Old July 19th, 2013, 05:18 AM

I think the whole rubber parts issue is a moving target. It changes as the fuel changes. I used to buy NAPA kits too. At one time I started also buying an additional separate special pump with a blue cup (impervious to fuel additives) and it worked fine. But then the fuel changed. When did the 5% ethanol change to 10%? When did they add, then eliminate MTBE (Or what ever it was) and what replaced it?

The rubber parts have had to evolve as the fuel has changed. Cliff's cups ARE a darker blue than the blue NAPA sold, and they have the spring that keeps it tight in the bore. Cliff told me they had a run of bad cups a few years back but they were replaced by an updated version. I got one of those cups (on a red plastic pump I think) and it did fail after 3 1/2 years. When it finally failed, it would pump fine, but it stuck down in the bore and the spring couldn't push it back up immediately like it should. Cliff replaced the bad part, but again, it failed after 3 1/2 years and changing fuel configuration.

Last edited by brown7373; July 19th, 2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old July 19th, 2013, 05:45 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by BILL DEMMER
we stopped using the blue cups-nothing but problems, I'm sorry to say.
Thanks, Bill. That's good information, there.

- Eric
Old July 19th, 2013, 07:09 PM

Just when i thought about replacing mine, I will wait....
Crap parts and crap gas - what a combo...