General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Rocker arm sets.

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2016, 08:08 PM

Rocker arm sets.

Hello guys and gals.
I'm in need of a complete adjustable rocker arm set with push rods and guides.
The problem is I put the cart before the horse. I need a set that has 5/16 studs for a factory application because I built the engine and put it in before I realize this small but major detail. It's seems that most of what I'm finding is a setup with 7/16 studs. I know it's hard to do but I'm needing a cheap set because of being on a budget. Any help or know of a previously used set would help thanks.
Old July 10th, 2016, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by stevestringer
Hello guys and gals.
I'm in need of a complete adjustable rocker arm set with push rods and guides.
The problem is I put the cart before the horse. I need a set that has 5/16 studs for a factory application because I built the engine and put it in before I realize this small but major detail. It's seems that most of what I'm finding is a setup with 7/16 studs. I know it's hard to do but I'm needing a cheap set because of being on a budget. Any help or know of a previously used set would help thanks.
Just bought a set of 4542-16 and 4842-8 Comp Cam stuff for $90 off Ebay. That's about as cheap as they get unless someone has a set they want to sell at a discount. Good luck.
Old July 10th, 2016, 08:38 PM

Dang that was fast. You didn't by chance have the pushrod and rocker arm numbers. That was awesome I can't find this stuff like that. Thanks
Old July 10th, 2016, 08:48 PM

[QUOTE=stevestringer;934909]Dang that was fast. You didn't by chance have the pushrod and rocker arm numbers. That was awesome I can't find this stuff like that. Thanks[/QUOTE

I ordered the 0230201 PRW Pro Stainless Steel Roller Rocker Arms OLDSMOBILE 350 455 1.6 x 3/8. Copper cutlass has used these on his 350. I will be trying them on my 455. I've read there is possible push rod rubbing on the push rod hole. This set-up will only be good for 5/16" push rods. You might be better off buying a complete kit or not I don't know for sure. They say you need to buy hardened push rods when you use guide plates. I'm new to these waters but this is what I've researched from this site.
Old July 10th, 2016, 09:40 PM

I think Rocket Racing makes 5/16. Harland Sharp used to or maybe still does.
Old July 10th, 2016, 11:04 PM
same but different

Keep in mind when you buy kits the push rods might not be the correct length. Always buy push rods last.

Speaking generally, kits don't know what kind of machine work you might or might not have done to the head or block and head gasket thickness.

Depending upon machining, you'll likely require a shorter push rod. Stuff like this needs to measured and checked. The hydraulic lifter might not be able to compensate for this difference.
Old July 10th, 2016, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by don71
Keep in mind when you buy kits the push rods might not be the correct length. Always buy push rods last.

Speaking generally, kits don't know what kind of machine work you might or might not have done to the head or block and head gasket thickness.

Depending upon machining, you'll likely require a shorter push rod. Stuff like this needs to measured and checked. The hydraulic lifter might not be able to compensate for this difference.
Yes, you will need an adjustable push rod to check your required push rod length.