General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

O.A.I. Vacuum hose arrangment

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2010, 02:20 PM

O.A.I. Vacuum hose arrangment

Hi everyone!

I installed a O.A.I. hood & air cleaner on my `70 442.
While researching my shop manual for vacuum hose arrangment & operation I came across something interesting. On pg. 6H-2, fig. 6H-3 it shows the vacuum hose starting from the carb, then to the air cleaner temp. sensor, then to the vacuum motor at the end of the snorkle w/ a tee before the vacuum motor running up to the O.A.I. damper.
On pg. 6N-2, the last paragraph of the operation description, it states that vehicles w/ O.A.I., the air cleaner does not have a temp.sensor. Can anyone tell me what's up w/ this. I looked at several O.A.I. air cleaners before buying and they all had temp. sensors

Joe

Last edited by droptopcad; October 24th, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old October 24th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by droptopcad
Hi everyone!

I installed a O.A.I. hood & air cleaner on my `70 442.
While researching my shop manual for vacuum hose arrangment & operation I came across something interesting. On pg. 6H-2, fig. 6H-3 it shows the vacuum hose starting from the carb, then to the air cleaner temp. sensor, then to the vacuum motor at the end of the snorkle w/ a tee before the vacuum motor running up to the O.A.I. damper.
On pg. 6N-2, the last paragraph of the operation description, it states that vehicles w/ O.A.I., the air cleaner does not have a temp.sensor. Can anyone tell me what's up w/ this. I looked at several O.A.I. air cleaners before buying and they all had temp. sensors

Joe

I looked and the manual I checked says, "The vacuum motor and control damper assembly in the left snorkel on the Outside Air Induction Option does not have a sensor and is controlled only by intake manifold vacuum".
The '69 OAI had a dual snorkel air cleaner? I'm not real familiar with them but don't all the '71-'72 OAI air cleaners have a single snorkel? If so they probably didn't catch that when they updated the chassis service manual for '70 I would guess.
The right snorkel should have a vacuum operated thermostatic air cleaner flap in the snorkel and and a temp sensor valve to control it.