General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Need Restoration Parts for 1972 Custom Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2014, 09:45 AM

Need Restoration Parts for 1972 Custom Cruiser

Hi Folks !
I own a 1972 Custom Cruiser. I am searching for several restoration parts. Can anyone give me advice , or a link to a website, where I can locate the following parts -
1) Drivers Side Door Panel (Electric windows)
2) CUSTOM CRUISER Metal scripture name - for both sides
3) ALL Rubber Weather Stripping - Especially the Clam Shell door and window
I also need to find a Trouble Shooting website for the electrical system

ANY Advice is welcome !
Thank You !
Old October 29th, 2014, 10:45 AM

Welcome to the site. I have a '73 Custom Cruiser.

A few comments:

Originally Posted by Fairbear50
I am searching for several restoration parts. Can anyone give me advice, or a link to a website, where I can locate the following parts -
1) Drivers Side Door Panel (Electric windows)
There are no websites or catalogs with body, trim, and interior parts for any full-size Oldsmobile, especially the clamshell wagons, because no one makes them. What you need can likely come from any full-size '72 Oldsmobile 4-door sedan as I think the front doors on the wagons are the same size as on the sedans. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. What you need to do is get online and search the various used parts vendor out there. Something like this:

http://www.aautomotiveinc.com/

Google "used auto parts" and you get links like this. Put in your parameters, see what pops up, and then call the vendors listed. In my experience, the data is often old, and the vendor will no longer have the part. But if you're persistent, you'll usually find what you need eventually.

2) CUSTOM CRUISER Metal scripture name - for both sides
Has to come from a parts car. See answer to question 1. Probably any '71 to '76 CC could be a donor, and probably later ('77 through '90) CC's as well, although the script might be plastic and be glued on instead of metal with mounting studs. But the script itself would look the same, I think.

3) ALL Rubber Weather Stripping - Especially the Clam Shell door and window
Weatherstripping for the front and rear doors should be the same as for a four-door sedan of the same year (or probably any year of the '71 to '76 era), and that weatherstripping is available from many sources of rubber weathestripping, such as Soffseal, Steele Rubber Products, Metro Moulded Parts, Rubber the Right Way, Fusick and others including your local auto parts store, which can probably order it.

The situation is totally different for the clamshell weatherstripping. No one makes it, and to find some is the Holy Grail of clamshell owners everywhere. The worst is usually the weatherstripping on either side of the rear window as it's exposed to the weather and is usually dried and cracked after so many years. Your only hope is to find good used pieces from another wagon or NOS pieces from ebay or something like that. Any GM clamshell (Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Olds) could be a donor car. But expect to pay a small fortune for anything good. There is hope that one of the rubber companies might one day start reproducing it, but that seems unlikely because the potential market is too small.

I also need to find a Trouble Shooting website for the electrical system
There is no website for this. What you need are the 1973 Olds Chassis Service Manual and the 1973 Fisher Body Service Manual as different parts of the electrical system are covered in the two different manuals. These manuals are available on ebay all the time.

Here's a '72 body manual currently for sale:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Buick-C...3c1399&vxp=mtr

Here's a '72 chassis service manual:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Oldsmob...65e6aa&vxp=mtr

We'd love to see photos of your car.

Last edited by jaunty75; October 29th, 2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old October 29th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Welcome to the site. I have a '73 Custom Cruiser.
Did the sale fall through? I thought you sold it.
Old October 29th, 2014, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Did the sale fall through? I thought you sold it.
I did, but the sale isn't completed yet. Probably not for another month or so. But you're right, I should probably be saying I owned a Custom Cruiser. However, it seems weird to say that when it's still sitting in my garage. I'm in sort of a no-man's land right now!
Old October 29th, 2014, 08:02 PM

WOW !
Thank you for the AWESOME information !

I will take your advice to heart !
Again,
THANK YOU !
Old October 30th, 2014, 04:28 AM

I found a rear bumper nos for a 73 custom cruiser. It's listed on Scranton PA Craigslist for $100.00! I don't know how to add the link but it should not be too hard to look up.
Old October 30th, 2014, 06:49 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Copy the link address and use the Icon with the globe and chain link below it to add the link in your post.
1973 Oldsmobile Station Wagon Read Bumper

Last edited by Allan R; October 30th, 2014 at 09:50 AM. Reason: reinstall link