General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

KH 2 groove PS pulley w/o holes - mod

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2015, 07:05 AM

KH 2 groove PS pulley w/o holes - mod

So a guy calls seeking to replace the nut attached KH power steering pulley. Must fit keyed shaft with nut retention.

OK I have a KH from the 1970 Delta 88 and a KA from some later version with nut retention but also a puller lip. Lack of a puller lip is what generally leads to pulley destruction, unless one follows the approved "no tool shall touch the pulley" prodecure as I outlined elsewhere recently.

My KA has the three adjuster-bolt access holes like the seeker's pulley. Seems the same size-wise, but the space between the grooves is a lot wider, like 1/4" vs 1/8" on the KH.

But, my KH as no holes at all, so making the adjustment will not be as easy.

I advised the person to use the thin wrench behind the pulley method but they seemed to not like that idea.

I advised that I could probably put three holes in the KH and have the best of both worlds, and they said go for it.

Large drill press with x-y table, though any drill press should do
Good size Uni-bit that goes up to 7/8" or so- 13/16 I believe the holes are

Place v-block in vice to hold a pin vertically.

Find 5/8 pin or shaft to center pulley and secure in V-block. Mount KA pulley with factory holes using the v-block and locating pin, then use its existing hole to locate vice/ block/ pulley properly under spindle, using the uni-bit. clamp everything down.

Remove KA holey pulley and install KH pulley. Support and prevent rotaton as necessary. Drill a hole to the correct size. The Uni-bits are very good at accommodating surfce level variations and the like.

Remove pulley, mark two other locations at 120 degrees apart as best you can. Reinstall the pulley to the v block using the locating pin, align other locations under the spindle, and drill the other two holes to match.

Dress the sharp edges off the holes and voila' a KH 2 groove steering pulley with easy-access holes.

Old August 23rd, 2015, 07:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Octania
I advised the person to use the thin wrench behind the pulley method but they seemed to not like that idea.
This has always worked for me, even with a not-so-thin wrench.