General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

I doubt it, but maybe

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Majored in rear tire demo

I doubt it, but maybe

I have a 67 442 with a bad starter. Turns way too slow (yes, all the cables are good, and the ground to the engine is good, no voltage drops).
I also have a starter from a 68 350 that came in my other car (somebody thought this was a good swap?).
I want to know if the 68 350 starter will fit the 67 400. Both manual trans.
Thanks,
Paul
Old July 29th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yes, it'll fit.

The real questions are,
Where did the 442 starter come from?
Is the 350 car high or low compression? and
Is the 350 starter the original?

There were three starters for the V8s in 1968:
One for the low-compression 350 (which will turn a high-compression motor very slowly,especially when hot),
One for the high-compression 350, the 400 (your engine), and the low-compression 455, and
One for the high-compression 455.

If the 350 is a high-compression motor and the starter is original, or a proper replacement, then it is the right starter for your engine.

- Eric
Old July 30th, 2013, 06:18 PM

Eric, I'm happy to see that it will fit.
Here's the story: I bought 2 67 442's last year. One had the original drivetrain (#1) and the other somebody thought would work with a 350 for whatever reason (#2). Neither had run in over 20 years. I got #1 running, but noticed the starter was lazy, I have never had this car in the air, so I don't know what is really in it for a starter. Somebody made a valiant attempt to get it running (lots of new stuff that didn't fix anything) but missed something pretty basic. I found it. When it cranks, the cables get warm and the starter will smoke.
#2 had the same deal. I got it running and it was a really nice engine, save for a rod rap. It would blow the doors off the other car. It just ripped over. I pulled the engine and it had spun 3 rod bearings.
I'm not rebuliding that engine. I got a correct 400 E block and C heads to build the proper engine for the #2 car when the time comes.
Don't know if it was high or low compression, as the label is long gone from the oil tube. I had check some numbers earlier and found it was a 68 350 engine.
Any other way to tell what it was from other casting/stamped numbers?
Thanks,
Paul
Old July 30th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 2Olds4U
Any other way to tell what it was from other casting/stamped numbers?
As described in your Chassis Service Manual, high compression pistons can be distinguished from low compression pistons by the cut in the leading edge (as well as by the depth of the dish) - a half-moon cut is low compression, while a V-cut is high-compression.

Here is the 1966 information - I believe that '67 is about the same:

- Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1966 Piston Identification.jpg (97.8 KB, 49 views)
Old July 30th, 2013, 07:23 PM

Hi Eric,
I never pulled the heads off the 350. After what I saw with the crank it was a waste of time as far as I was concerned.
I was concerned about tooth pitch in the starters and if you say it should fit I;m going to give it a shot over the weekend.
Thanks for your help!
Old July 30th, 2013, 07:31 PM

yes, the V8 starters are interchangeable as a unit. Disregarding the high torque vs low torque internal differences, no problem, go ahead and try it.

Do a net search for how to ID the GM high torque starter by way of how the juice enters the case.
Old July 30th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Octania
Do a net search for how to ID the GM high torque starter by way of how the juice enters the case.
I may be mistaken on this (as I have recently looked into this very subject), but I believe that you cannot tell with certainty from the outside (other than knowing which is the lowest-torque unit, because of the shorter distance to the power tab) which is the high-torque. You have to open it up and follow the internal wiring to the field coils very carefully to be sure.

- Eric