General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

How much do you take out to remove Evaporator? 67 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2012, 12:43 PM

How much do you take out to remove Evaporator? 67 Cutlass

67 442, 400ci, stock a/c.

2 questions:

1.) How much do you have to remove to get the evaporator out?

-Inner Fender well (passenger)
-Passenger FENDER? (gawdamighty hope not....)
-other?

2.) Does the Cutlass A/C parts interchange across other A-body lines for 67? (or is the Olds unique?)

I don't know that mine needs work/rehab/rebuild, but the whole system has been dead for many years, so I've got to try to figure out what i've got to replace, etc., to get this thing to work.

I don't mind a challenge if the end result is 'fixed it!', but lot of money and lot of toil to wind up with "*&(#*%_@$ IT STILL DON'T ******** WORK!!!!".

Thanks,
Old August 9th, 2012, 12:55 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Flye
-Passenger FENDER? (gawdamighty hope not....)
-other?

2.) Does the Cutlass A/C parts interchange across other A-body lines for 67? (or is the Olds unique?)
I have never pulled one with the fender in place and I am not saying it can't be done but I would bet you will wish you did if you tried without it.

I am pretty sure most if not all the firewall parts interchange 64-67 A-body with some small year to year changes.
Old August 9th, 2012, 12:58 PM

The shop manual will help, but if it were me I would not replace the evaporator because they dont usually go bad/leak. If the system has been open to the air for a long time I would try and flush it out then replace any bad looking hoses. Replace the condenser and receiver drier and prob the compressor. Then decide if you want R12 or 134 A in there for refrigerant. You need to leak check then pull a good vacuum and make sure it holds then charge the system.
Old August 9th, 2012, 01:15 PM

Thanks a ton. I checked manual, but at least the references I could find sort of glossed over it on whether the fender had to come off. In looking at it, I sort of gathered the same conclusion on 'sooner or later, I'll probably wish I'd pulled the fender....'. I might try to get by without pulling it. But I've got to figure out if I can acquire a couple of small parts that are missing. It appears Classic Air has the 3 replacement hoses as I wouldn't trust the ones that are on it and I'm missing the drier, but they have those. I have a condensor, but I'd assume it probably needs replacement. It has the old style compressor but again, no idea if it was good or bad. Thanks for suggestions and I'm open to any and all previous experience with these things.
Old August 10th, 2012, 11:54 AM

Last year I had the front end off of my 67CS. I pulled the evaporator and was going to chunk it and go with a Classic Air unit. But after reading a lot of discussions on this site I decided to go stock. The evap is enclosed in a plastic box. I removed the evap just to clean and found it was completly clogged with insulation I assume was originally on the outside. I took it and had it tested and it was fine. But about this same time someone else here posted a pic of the evaporator they had just pulled from their 67 and it looked identical to mine--clogged. As I remember it was a tight fit coming out and going back in so I don't know if you can do it without removing the fender. But if you're going to the expense of repairing it you should probably pull it to check it.........my 2c...Tom
Old November 25th, 2012, 03:49 PM

Pic of a 67 evaporator on the car

hey Flye. This thread is a few months old but maybe this is still helpful. I've got a 67 Cutlass Supreme convertible with a 330. I'm cleaning and painting the engine compartment. The motor is pulled and the fenders are off. Here's a pic of the evaporator. I did take out all the bolts but that sucker didn't budge. I suspect 45 years of time has that sealant holding pretty tight. You could try just taking off the inner fender well and working it from there and later pull the passenger side fender if you don't make any progress. Hopefully the pic I've posted gives you a better idea of things.
-Sean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
evaporator.jpg (50.1 KB, 37 views)