General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

1970 w31

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2014, 11:11 AM

1970 w31

I am looking into adding a 70 model Olds to my collection and have found an interesting possibility.

Work has been started and gone quite far on the resto and is in pieces.

But it is listed as a 442 or W31 car. VIN I believe negates the 442 model as it is 33687 on both trim and dash tags, correct?

It is proposed to be a W31 then because of the emblems and strips left on the original sheet metal.

Question with the missing motor (has a 455 now) and lack of any documentation will this ever be proved to be as advertised as a W31 car.

Thanks,

Bill
Old January 1st, 2014, 11:18 AM

Fact

Originally Posted by 1320dragmonza
I am looking into adding a 70 model Olds to my collection and have found an interesting possibility.

Work has been started and gone quite far on the resto and is in pieces.

But it is listed as a 442 or W31 car. VIN I believe negates the 442 model as it is 33687 on both trim and dash tags, correct?

It is proposed to be a W31 then because of the emblems and strips left on the original sheet metal.

Question with the missing motor (has a 455 now) and lack of any documentation will this ever be proved to be as advertised as a W31 car.

Thanks,

Bill
If it is an automatic look for JO code T350 and match VIN to car.
Old January 1st, 2014, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
If it is an automatic look for JO code T350 and match VIN to car.

It is an auto car, but forgot to mention trans is not with car and location unknown at this time. This a project that was started by someone who has passed. The person who is selling is a friend of the widow.

I doubt the trans will be located. I wish it was not so for as you pointed out it would help document.

Bill
Old January 1st, 2014, 11:35 AM

More

Look for TM or TO code rear end. If not present rear end has been changed or not a W machine. This alone will not prove it is W-31 car.

If the car has a/c it is NOT a W-31.

The car is not a 442 and not a W-30.

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; January 1st, 2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old January 1st, 2014, 01:12 PM

Well, we got a good start on what it is NOT !!

I am not by any means an expert on W31's but isn't there another clue like it can't have AC but must have the 2nd fuel line on the frame like an AC car would have? Do you have the crucial pieces such as the wide balancer, AL intake, correct number carb and distributor, big valve #6 heads, correct water pump casting and pulleys, &c.?

This kind of falls into the proving what it isn't rather than proving what it is type task. Unless you find one of those elusive paperwork things like a Protecto-Plate or better. Try a Google search on the VIN- I have the POP for somebody's '68 H/O and the VIN is out on the net.
Old January 1st, 2014, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
Well, we got a good start on what it is NOT !!

I am not by any means an expert on W31's but isn't there another clue like it can't have AC but must have the 2nd fuel line on the frame like an AC car would have? Do you have the crucial pieces such as the wide balancer, AL intake, correct number carb and distributor, big valve #6 heads, correct water pump casting and pulleys, &c.?

This kind of falls into the proving what it isn't rather than proving what it is type task. Unless you find one of those elusive paperwork things like a Protecto-Plate or better. Try a Google search on the VIN- I have the POP for somebody's '68 H/O and the VIN is out on the net.
Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Look for TM or TO code rear end. If not present rear end has been changed or not a W machine. This alone will not prove it is W-31 car.

If the car has a/c it is NOT a W-31.

The car is not a 442 and not a W-30.

Unfortunately no 350 engine parts are with this car to inspect. As I told the seller if he had the W31 engine complete with car I would have already written the check. I may still go look at this as it is starting to look like a nice start on a v8 Cutlass - nothing more, but with a 300 mile distance one way I wanted to have my facts straight before inspecting. Now the options are starting to help. The car, per seller has factory a/c with a 3.91 rear gear. Code yet to be determined.

Although no results came back great idea on googling the VIN! I can see where history can develop with flippers and less than the honesty that can be out there.

Thanks,

Bill
Old January 1st, 2014, 01:56 PM
Old(s) Fart

Let's start with the easy one, which has not yet been mentioned. W-31s were only built in Lansing, so if the VIN shows any other assembly plant, it definitely is NOT a W-31. Unfortunately, with all the rare parts missing, it's only a Cutlass at this point.
Old January 1st, 2014, 02:24 PM

The car, per seller has factory a/c
Not a W-31, period! Do not need any more info! NO A/C ON W-31'S!!!!
Old January 1st, 2014, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Let's start with the easy one, which has not yet been mentioned. W-31s were only built in Lansing, so if the VIN shows any other assembly plant, it definitely is NOT a W-31. Unfortunately, with all the rare parts missing, it's only a Cutlass at this point.

Sorry I didn't mention the plant Joe. That was the first thing I looked for, a M in the VIN which it does have.

You answered what I was thinking. Regardless of what it was without the specific W31 parts it is a Cutlass at this point.

Then there is the a/c as well. I am interested to see if the firewall has been cut out for a/c or has the factory opening.

Bill
Old January 2nd, 2014, 07:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Then there is the a/c as well. I am interested to see if the firewall has been cut out for a/c or has the factory opening.

Bill
I missed the part about A/C in the original post. If it's factory (and it's a lot of work to convert otherwise) then it's obviously not a W-31.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 07:12 PM