General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Dick Miller is a joke

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Banned

Dick Miller is a joke

I ordered a solid small block motor mount from Dick Miller Racing and it doesn't look like the small block motor mounts on my small block Oldsmobile powered Omega.

I email him and ask him if the solid mount pictured on his website is a small block mount. I tell him the holes on the mount I received are 1 1/2" apart from center to center of the holes where you bolt it to the block and where the you put the bolt through to hold the mount to the frame. My mounts, the holes are 2 1/4" apart center to center.

He emails me back and says I need BBO mounts and to ship the soild mount he sent me back along with a motor mount off my car.

I sent him a email telling him to email me a return label and I will send it back to him because I'm not the person who sent the wrong part. On his website it states that if your car came with a small block, order a solid sbo mount and that's what I did.

I emailed him back and told him I was going to go to Parts Store and see if the small block olds mounts they had for a 1976 Omega looked like the ones on my car and sure enough they did, so I bought two for a wopping $7.99 each.

I emailed him back and told him the small block olds mounts on my car are in fact sbo mounts and told him the manufacture, ANCHOR and part number, 2328 if he would like to check for himself and told him that I found out the same mount is used in a 1984 Vista Cruiser as well from a member on ClassicOldsmobile.com and that it probably is used for other models as well and told him I shouldn't have to pay return shipping to return the part or shipping on the bbo mount he says will fit my car because I did what he instructed me to do and ordered a solid sbo mount.

He has sent me insulting and totally non-professional email replies everytime I have sent him an email and I would gladly post those emails here if that is allowed on this website to show the world what kind of person Dick Miller is and how you will be treated should your receive the wrong or defect part from Dick Miller Racing LLC.

I don't know what to do at this point, I am open for suggestions.

Last edited by SBORule; July 11th, 2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old July 12th, 2011, 04:12 AM

Thumbs down

His first name is a perfect fit.

I had a unpleasant buying experience from him as well.

Never again.
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:08 AM

If you go to Norwalk you can give them back to him personally and in front of a crowd, wouldn't that be a kick in (the Dick)
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:11 AM

Ive been hung up on by him.

Can someone tell me why it seems a lot of Olds parts people are dicks? Mondello, Dick Miller, Brothers Auto, Inline Tube, etc. We are not a huge audience so does that mean the people that cater to us can treat us like crap because they know we dont have anyone else to buy from?
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:13 AM

If you do not get seatisfaction soon, AND you paid with a credit card, call your card's office and dispute the charge. Dicky boy may be willing to do what is right after that.
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:22 AM

That's just fine WE got each other who needs the Dick's haha
Old July 12th, 2011, 06:42 AM

I have met alot of Oldsmobile owners that are arrogant ******. So I guess it comes with the territory.
Old July 12th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Yet another example of mis-communication about Olds motor mounts. First of all, the "big block/small block" mount distinction ONLY APPLIES to 1969-1972 A-body cars, PERIOD. I've never ordered from Miller and have no experience one way or the other. All I can say is that the aftermarket is rife with misinformation about Olds motor mounts and it is up to the buyer to figure out what is really in your car (especially since mounts could have been changed).

As for the 73/74 Omegas, they ALL used the 2328 motor mounts, which people incorrectly call the "big block" mount. I wish we would all get away from that terminology for rather obvious reasons.

And as someone who ran my own business, all I can say is that the mind reading thing still isn't working. If a buyer asks for part A and is sent part A, but he really needed part B and asked for the wrong thing, well, I have a hard time seeing this as the seller's fault. Sorry.
Old July 12th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
If a buyer asks for part A and is sent part A, but he really needed part B and asked for the wrong thing, well, I have a hard time seeing this as the seller's fault.
Was this the part?

"Mount Engine Steel
Solid steel motor mount for racing only. If your car was originally a small block car order the small block mount. If your car was originally a big block car order the big block mount. Fits 64-88 Olds intermediates. You must use the same engines mount as the frame mount..."

It clearly says, "Fits 64-88 Olds intermediates."

If this was the part, then Dick Miller is correct, as he clearly lists the correct application, and your car, which is a compact, or X-body, does not fit within the application.

If not, then that's a different story, and we need to see the description of that part.

- Eric
Old July 12th, 2011, 08:55 PM
One of None W-31

Always been treated very kindly by Mr. Miller. We've spoken on several occaisions and he has always supplied the correct parts and in a timely manner. He, and Joe Mondello(RIP) are the old timers of Olds performance and have been respected by many throughout the years. Surprised to read the original post...just not the Dick Miller I know.
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Banned

Thanks for all the replies.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
My442

His first name is a perfect fit.
I had a unpleasant buying experience from him as well.
Never again.

I agree with you 100% and I'll bet he has a dinky little one as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
bonezarally

If you go to Norwalk you can give them back to him personally and in front of a crowd, wouldn't that be a kick in (the Dick)

I'm 50 years old but he like what 65 now, they have stiff laws against beating up the elderly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
TK-65

Ive been hung up on by him.

Can someone tell me why it seems a lot of Olds parts people are dicks? Mondello, Dick Miller, Brothers Auto, Inline Tube, etc. We are not a huge audience so does that mean the people that cater to us can treat us like crap because they know we dont have anyone else to buy from?

I don't understand it either, might be why you see some many Chevy powered Oldsmobiles.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lady72nRob71

If you do not get seatisfaction soon, AND you paid with a credit card, call your card's office and dispute the charge. Dicky boy may be willing to do what is right after that.

This was going to be my last resort, alone with filing a complaint with the BBB if he is a member.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nilsson

I have met alot of Oldsmobile owners that are arrogant ******. So I guess it comes with the territory.

There seems to be alot of arrogant little ****** in the Oldsmobile aftermarket business, that's for sure.

joe_padavano

Yet another example of mis-communication about Olds motor mounts. First of all, the "big block/small block" mount distinction ONLY APPLIES to 1969-1972 A-body cars, PERIOD. I've never ordered from Miller and have no experience one way or the other. All I can say is that the aftermarket is rife with misinformation about Olds motor mounts and it is up to the buyer to figure out what is really in your car (especially since mounts could have been changed).

As for the 73/74 Omegas, they ALL used the 2328 motor mounts, which people incorrectly call the "big block" mount. I wish we would all get away from that terminology for rather obvious reasons.

And as someone who ran my own business, all I can say is that the mind reading thing still isn't working. If a buyer asks for part A and is sent part A, but he really needed part B and asked for the wrong thing, well, I have a hard time seeing this as the seller's fault. Sorry.

The 75-79 Omega uses the same mount as well if it came with a 260ci small block olds.

If buyer is told to buy part A and is sent part A and he really needs part B then buyer shouldn't be responsible for paying for shipping on part A or return shipping for part A when seller told buyer to buy part A.

I called around for a sbo mount for a 1970 olds and they have two diffferent part numbers for left and right side mounts unlike the same part number for both sides on my Omega, And they were much more expensive as well, so if the $7.99 small block Omega mounts are really BBO mounts, people can save alot of money buying sbo Omega mounts for their BBO equipped cars.

MDchanic

Was this the part?

That's it.

And the rubber Big Block above that one on his website looks like the $7.99 ANCHOR 2328 rubber motor mount for a 1976 Omega with a 260ci Olds small block.

"Mount Engine Steel
Solid steel motor mount for racing only. If your car was originally a small block car order the small block mount. If your car was originally a big block car order the big block mount. Fits 64-88 Olds intermediates. You must use the same engines mount as the frame mount..."

It clearly says, "Fits 64-88 Olds intermediates."

If this was the part, then Dick Miller is correct, as he clearly lists the correct application, and your car, which is a compact, or X-body, does not fit within the application.

X Body Omega's are considered an intermediate. Starfire, Fireenza, Ciera and Calais are compacts.

71 Cutlass

Always been treated very kindly by Mr. Miller. We've spoken on several occaisions and he has always supplied the correct parts and in a timely manner. He, and Joe Mondello(RIP) are the old timers of Olds performance and have been respected by many throughout the years. Surprised to read the original post...just not the Dick Miller I know.

Took 10 days to receive wrong part. Takes sometimes a week to get a insulting email reply.

Dick has been in the Oldsmobile Aftermarket business for decades, you would think he would know what motor mounts are used in different models and he should list what mounts to order for the different models if they differ from model to model instead of telling people to order this or that mount if your car came from the factory with this or that engine.

I already paid shipping for a wrong part he instructed me to buy, so why should I pay to return the wrong part he told me to buy and then have to pay for him to send the right part.

When JEGS sends me a wrong or defective part, they have UPS truck come back and pickup the part and ship out another part without charging me anything for shipping either way.
Old July 13th, 2011, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by SBORule

X Body Omega's are considered an intermediate. Starfire, Fireenza, Ciera and Calais are compacts.
In 1973 Oldsmobile referred to the Omega as a "compact" car in it's advertising of it. "Setting the Pace" also labels the car as a compact (reference page 378 in STP for both citations). I don't see how the introduction of the Starfire in '75 would have changed the designation of the Omega as the Omega retained the same body style up until 1980 when it switched to FWD. The Omega was considered a compact, Starfire was designated a sub-compact.
Old July 13th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Olds line up for 1975:

Delta 88 / 98 (B-body) : Full-Size

Cutlass (A-body) : Intermediate

Omega (X-body) : Compact

Starfire (H-body) : Sub-Compact

Sorry.

- Eric
Old July 13th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

To be absolutely clear, Bruce:
  • You bought Dick Miler's "Mount, Engine, Steel" (or it appears you did - you haven't disputed that) for your '75 Omega, even though it is clearly described as "Fits 64-88 Olds intermediates," and your car is a compact, not an intermediate.
  • You tried to install them in the 1975 Omega, a car for which they are NOT specified, and found that they did not fit.
  • Dick Miller wouldn't pay the shipping for you to return them, but he did agree to take them back.

It sounds to me like you are in the wrong.
You bought the wrong part because you misunderstood the description (which was clearly worded), it didn't fit, you got mad when the seller wouldn't eat the shipping, and then you said some very unpleasant things about him on line.

Unless any of the facts I listed are in error, you owe Dick Miller an apology, and need to delete the negative things you posted about him, as they will be searchable forever and may damage his business in the future. If you just don't like the guy, then, hey, that's a different thing, but don't badmouth him when you're the one who made the mistake.

- Eric
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

I called around for a sbo mount for a 1970 olds and they have two diffferent part numbers for left and right side mounts unlike the same part number for both sides on my Omega, And they were much more expensive as well, so if the $7.99 small block Omega mounts are really BBO mounts, people can save alot of money buying sbo Omega mounts for their BBO equipped cars.
First of all, whoever you spoke to is completely wrong. The only Olds mounts that are different from side to side are the Anchor 2262/2263, which have the threaded studs and are only used on the 1965-70 full size cars. This is yet another example of how the Olds motor mount info is screwed up in the parts stores catalogs. You might want to check out this thread:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tion-list.html

And once again, please let's all stop using the terms "big block mount" and "small block mount" They are WRONG! (Can I say that too many times? Apparently not). Review the list in the thread I posted above. Since 1973, pretty much ALL Oldsmobiles used the so-called "big block mount". It's been used on more small blocks than big blocks. Prior to 1969, ALL A-body Oldsmobiles used the so-called "small block mounts", including 442s and the 68 Hurst/Olds. Let's just call them 2261 and 2328 and avoid all confusion.
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:44 AM

I can see the frustration as many of us have had issues with some of these vendors - some more than others. Truth be told we are a small niche market, and like many small markets you get enthusiasts who start a business. Doesn't mean they are good at running a business, just means they have the will to try it. Some succeed despite themselves, some end up failing, some like Jegs and YearOne create a business I envy.

Doesn't mean that you should be treated poorly but comparing Jegs returning something for nothing is quite different than Dick Miller, Fusicks etc that don't have the revenue stream or resources to take those small but many hits.

As Joe points out unfortunately for us a lot of it is educating ourselves more so than other brands. How many times do you still see "*header does not fit convertibles for 1970 - 1972 because engine is mounted off center"
Old July 13th, 2011, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
  • You bought Dick Miler's "Mount, Engine, Steel" (or it appears you did - you haven't disputed that) for your '75 Omega, even though it is clearly described as "Fits 64-88 Olds intermediates," and your car is a compact, not an intermediate.
  • You tried to install them in the 1975 Omega, a car for which they are NOT specified, and found that they did not fit.
  • Dick Miller wouldn't pay the shipping for you to return them, but he did agree to take them back.
You bought the wrong part because you misunderstood the description (which was clearly worded), it didn't fit, you got mad when the seller wouldn't eat the shipping, and then you said some very unpleasant things about him on line.

Unless any of the facts I listed are in error, you owe Dick Miller an apology, and need to delete the negative things you posted about him, as they will be searchable forever and may damage his business in the future. If you just don't like the guy, then, hey, that's a different thing, but don't badmouth him when you're the one who made the mistake.

- Eric
X2, Well said, Eric.
Old July 13th, 2011, 10:22 AM

None if this comes to a surprise.How many more people would you like to respond about a bed dealing with him?There's a line.
I would also like to bring up an interesting situation regarding him.He likes to market his suspension kits,which again,are nothing special.His older ads had a picture of what you thought was his blue 70 Cutlass,doing a wheelstand.In fact,it was Bill Trovato's old red 70 Cutlass.he did some sort of photo cropping,and changed the color to look like his.You had to look at the picture real close to tell that it wasn't Dick's car.One of the key give-aways was the original pictures of Bill's car,it had a burnt headlight,and the same headlight was in Dick's picture.Someone made mention of it to Dick,and the ad stopped.
Old July 13th, 2011, 10:46 AM

This is a good thread, just to stress the value of knowing what you are ordering and making sure you get what you need. It's a good thing we have this site to ask and make sure of these things.

Don't know what to say about reports that some vendors are actually insulting their clients. ?? I personally would try to avoid slander. There should be some kind of proof of foul play after the facts have all been put together.

... now that guy from BillionsandTrillions, holy hell he's a nutjob! And there's tons of proof of that on the net, he goes by the name Biker Fox I believe.

Called him up once and he was rude, and wanted me to buy an entire steering column for $400 in order to get a turn signal cancel cam that you can buy for $7 or $8.
Stay away from that company!
Old July 13th, 2011, 11:59 AM

Speaking of fruit cakes, I can't believe we left our "God Bless" Bob.
Old July 13th, 2011, 01:19 PM
One of None W-31

Originally Posted by MDchanic

- Eric
If Eric is correct, others in this thread have jumped to an incorrect conclusion and their name calling,etc. puts them in the same apology catagory.
Old July 13th, 2011, 01:28 PM

Not a conclusion with this instance. I was there with my brother when he was asking Miller about some parts he wanted to order via phone. My brother questioned the price of some items and mentioned that the price seemed kinda high and he was hung up on.... so it appears that is a common occurance with Miller or he has a bad phone line that cuts out at just the right times.
Old July 13th, 2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Speaking of fruit cakes, I can't believe we left our "God Bless" Bob.
Oddly enough I've always had good dealings with Bob, but I have heard that others have not.
Old July 13th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Where were you in '72?

...quite often it has a lot to do with our interaction skills.
Old July 13th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 71 Cutlass
If Eric is correct, others in this thread have jumped to an incorrect conclusion and their name calling,etc. puts them in the same apology catagory.
Just to re-re-clarify...

All I was talking about was the details of this particular incident.

I know nothing about Dick and have no opinion about him whatsoever.
He may be a nice guy or he may be a total pri— er, jerk.
I have no problem with anyone who's had a bad experience with him describing it in detail and calling him whatever names they feel are appropriate - it's just that this particular experience doesn't seem to be Dick's fault. Most vendors would not pay return postage for a part that the buyer ordered incorrectly.

So, he may be the obnoxious creep that lots of people here think he is, and if so, fine, but let him have it for the stuff he actually did, and not for stuff he didn't do.

The title of this thread is "Dick Miller is a Joke," so, back to our regularly scheduled tar and feathering .

- Eric
Old July 13th, 2011, 09:42 PM
One of None W-31

The key words being "I have no problem with anyone who's had a bad experience with him describing it in detail." Some (see posts above) with no experience with Mr. Miller jumped on a bandwagon of name calling and now find themselves in the apology catagory.

Last edited by 71 Cutlass; July 13th, 2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old July 13th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Banned

starfire

In 1973 Oldsmobile referred to the Omega as a "compact" car in it's advertising of it. "Setting the Pace" also labels the car as a compact (reference page 378 in STP for both citations). I don't see how the introduction of the Starfire in '75 would have changed the designation of the Omega as the Omega retained the same body style up until 1980 when it switched to FWD. The Omega was considered a compact, Starfire was designated a sub-compact.

What is the STP ?

My car is a 76, the 1975 have a slightly more aerodynamic looking front grill area.

I can't see why it would be classified as a compact when it is just as long and wide as later Cutlass's and they weigh over 3500lbs.

-----------------------------------------
MDchanic

Olds line up for 1975:

Delta 88 / 98 (B-body) : Full-Size

Cutlass (A-body) : Intermediate

Omega (X-body) : Compact

Starfire (H-body) : Sub-Compact

Sorry.

- Eric

What book is this in?

---------------------------------------
MDchanic

You bought Dick Miler's "Mount, Engine, Steel" (or it appears you did - you haven't disputed that) for your '75 Omega, even though it is clearly described as "Fits 64-88 Olds intermediates," and your car is a compact, not an intermediate.

My Omega is a 1976

You tried to install them in the 1975 Omega, a car for which they are NOT specified, and found that they did not fit.

Never tried to install the solid motor mount. My engine is apart at the moment and my motor mounts are off the block so all I had to do is eyeball them next to each other.

Dick Miller wouldn't pay the shipping for you to return them, but he did agree to take them back.

How did you come to that conclusion? did you call him and ask him?

I believe he could do a better job with his website in describing what models his engine mounts fits instead of just stating if you car came with a big block or a small block, order this or that, then hide behind deceptive loophole advertising techniques.

Unless any of the facts I listed are in error, you owe Dick Miller an apology, and need to delete the negative things you posted about him, as they will be searchable forever and may damage his business in the future.

I don't owe Dick Miller an apology for anything I have said. If I was to post the emails exchanged between myself and him over this solid motor mount, they might discourage people from giving him their business and that wouldn't be my fault either, it would be his.

If you just don't like the guy, then, hey, that's a different thing, but don't badmouth him when you're the one who made the mistake.

- Eric

If I didn't like someone, I darn sure wouldn't give them my business

------------------------------------------
joe_padavano

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBORule View Post

First of all, whoever you spoke to is completely wrong. The only Olds mounts that are different from side to side are the Anchor 2262/2263, which have the threaded studs and are only used on the 1965-70 full size cars. This is yet another example of how the Olds motor mount info is screwed up in the parts stores catalogs. You might want to check out this thread:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tion-list.html

I had the parts guy pull a motor mount for a BBO 1970 Cutlass and it looked like the same dimensions as the solid motor I received, which is suppose to be a sbo mount.

And once again, please let's all stop using the terms "big block mount" and "small block mount" They are WRONG! (Can I say that too many times? Apparently not). Review the list in the thread I posted above. Since 1973, pretty much ALL Oldsmobiles used the so-called "big block mount". It's been used on more small blocks than big blocks. Prior to 1969, ALL A-body Oldsmobiles used the so-called "small block mounts", including 442s and the 68 Hurst/Olds. Let's just call them 2261 and 2328 and avoid all confusion.

Thanks for all your input.

-------------------------------------------
stevengerard

I can see the frustration as many of us have had issues with some of these vendors - some more than others. Truth be told we are a small niche market, and like many small markets you get enthusiasts who start a business. Doesn't mean they are good at running a business, just means they have the will to try it. Some succeed despite themselves, some end up failing, some like Jegs and YearOne create a business I envy.

Doesn't mean that you should be treated poorly but comparing Jegs returning something for nothing is quite different than Dick Miller, Fusicks etc that don't have the revenue stream or resources to take those small but many hits.

If you want to keep customers coming back you would.

As Joe points out unfortunately for us a lot of it is educating ourselves more so than other brands. How many times do you still see "*header does not fit convertibles for 1970 - 1972 because engine is mounted off center"

I know JEGS wouldn't have sent me insulting emails.

---------------------------------------------
507OLDS

None if this comes to a surprise.How many more people would you like to respond about a bed dealing with him?There's a line.
I would also like to bring up an interesting situation regarding him.He likes to market his suspension kits,which again,are nothing special.His older ads had a picture of what you thought was his blue 70 Cutlass,doing a wheelstand.In fact,it was Bill Trovato's old red 70 Cutlass.he did some sort of photo cropping,and changed the color to look like his.You had to look at the picture real close to tell that it wasn't Dick's car.One of the key give-aways was the original pictures of Bill's car,it had a burnt headlight,and the same headlight was in Dick's picture.Someone made mention of it to Dick,and the ad stopped.

Using a picture of someone else's car and making changes to it to make it look like their own car is kind of like (Dissipative Advertising) not to mention unethical.

Rocket Richard

This is a good thread, just to stress the value of knowing what you are ordering and making sure you get what you need. It's a good thing we have this site to ask and make sure of these things.

Don't know what to say about reports that some vendors are actually insulting their clients. ?? I personally would try to avoid slander. There should be some kind of proof of foul play after the facts have all been put together.

... now that guy from BillionsandTrillions, holy hell he's a nutjob! And there's tons of proof of that on the net, he goes by the name Biker Fox I believe.

Called him up once and he was rude, and wanted me to buy an entire steering column for $400 in order to get a turn signal cancel cam that you can buy for $7 or $8.
Stay away from that company!

OK, I will stay away from BikerFox

71 Cutlass

I think they have come to their conclusion from past experiences with Dick Miller.

Oldsmaniac

Not a conclusion with this instance. I was there with my brother when he was asking Miller about some parts he wanted to order via phone. My brother questioned the price of some items and mentioned that the price seemed kinda high and he was hung up on.... so it appears that is a common occurance with Miller or he has a bad phone line that cuts out at just the right times.

LOL

boondocker

...quite often it has a lot to do with our interaction skills.

I understand.

Last edited by SBORule; July 13th, 2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old July 13th, 2011, 09:57 PM
One of None W-31

Sounds like SBORule is going to stick to his story no matter what. That's fine. It's those with no experience with Mr. Miller and their name calling that concerns me.
Old July 13th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If I was to post the emails exchanged between myself and him over this solid motor mount, they might discourage people from giving him their business and that wouldn't be my fault either, it would be his.
THAT would be just fine.

HE wrote the e-mails, HE should have no problem with them being posted.

You want to really hit him, post them. There's nothing he could possibly say or do about it, and if he did in fact write them, there's also no defense.

As far as the Omega being a compact, you're going to have to accept this sooner or later, it just is. No book. No advertising. No weight. No wheelbase. It's just a fact that the B-bodies were full size, the A-bodies were mid-size, the X-bodies were compact, and the H-bodies were subcompact. It's like gravity - you can look for it all you like, but if you don't find it, that still doesn't mean you can fly. Take it from people who were around when these cars were new, that's how GM categorized their line-up.

- Eric
Old July 14th, 2011, 04:13 AM

My mind was made up at least a decade before this post.Another thing I never liked was that he always seemed to answer any type of tech question with a sales pitch.Just like his former partner Mondello.

How about another example:
A few years ago he attempts to enter an engine in the Engine Masters Challenge.He couldn't get his own act together to get it ready for his time slot.Another entry/competitor goes out of his way to help him,and get his engine ready & ran on time.As a token of appreciation,Miller claims the other guy was cheating. Nice!
Old July 14th, 2011, 05:51 AM

starfire

What is the STP ?

My car is a 76, the 1975 have a slightly more aerodynamic looking front grill area.

I can't see why it would be classified as a compact when it is just as long and wide as later Cutlass's and they weigh over 3500lbs.

-----------------------------------------
STP is "Setting The Pace", the book I had referred to earlier in my post. If you don't have a copy, get one and read it. It is an amazing compilation of Oldsmobile history.

'73 - 79 all had the same basic body, in 1980 all was changed when the X-body became a front wheel drive. The front end does not change the body style (note the difference in front ends in 1976 between the Cutlass S and the Cutlass Supreme). Oldsmobile (GM) considered the X-bodies to be compact.

Hmmm, length of cars (2-door) in 1976:

Starfire = 179.3" (Sub-compact)
Omega = 199.6" (Compact)
Cutlass = 211.7" (Intermediate)

Full Size (B,C,E) cars ranged from 226" to 232"

Weight of cars in 1976:

Starfire = 2983 - 3014 lbs
Omega = 3341 - 3443 lbs
Cutlass = 3751 - 4084 lbs

Full Size range from 4383 to 4820 lbs (I've left all wagons out of these numbers)

By the way, the Cutlass started out it's life as a compact car. The name was first used on a production vehicle for the 1962 model year as part of the 188.2" F-85 line. When the body style of the F-85/Cutlass was completely redesigned for the 1964 model year it went from being a compact to an intermediate by virture of having gained 15 inches of length compared to 1962.

Last edited by starfire; July 14th, 2011 at 06:15 AM.
Old July 14th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by starfire
By the way, the Cutlass started out it's life as a compact car. The name was first used on a production vehicle for the 1962 model year as part of the 188.2" F-85 line.
May 1961, actually. The Cutlass was a mid-year addition to the F-85 line.

And just to add a little to this post, the X-body (Nova, Omega, Ventura, Apollo) plaform was the same for 1968-1974 and changed for 1975-1979. Size was about the same but few parts interchange between the generations. And to confuse things further, in the 1970s GM "downsized" many of it's car names. The F-85 nameplate reappeared on the X-body platform in the mid-1970s, for example. Most parts catalogs do not make distinctions like this, so a buyer needs to be VERY sure of what he or she has before ordering parts.
Old July 14th, 2011, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
May 1961, actually. The Cutlass was a mid-year addition to the F-85 line.
Oops, true, I had forgotten the two-door deluxe F-85 Cutlass was a late '61.
Old July 14th, 2011, 03:51 PM

I had the same problem with My 74 Omega.I bought new motor mounts from Rocket Racing.They where so close to fitting but just didn't.I wound up putting the old ones back in.Also the trans mount was way off turned out the Nova trans mount worked perfect.I think a lot of company's know how hard it is to get parts and just take a chance that you'll make it work. As for the Omega being a compact I have a sales brosure comparing it to a VW.
Old July 14th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Banned

Thanks again for all your replies.

------------------------------------------------------------------
MDchanic

THAT would be just fine.

HE wrote the e-mails, HE should have no problem with them being posted.

You want to really hit him, post them. There's nothing he could possibly say or do about it, and if he did in fact write them, there's also no defense.

I wouldn't post fabricated emails.

I don't want to really hit him, as you say. I tried several times via email to handle this situation in a professional and respectful manner, he didn't and that is why I started this topic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
507OLDS

A few years ago he attempts to enter an engine in the Engine Masters Challenge.He couldn't get his own act together to get it ready for his time slot.Another entry/competitor goes out of his way to help him,and get his engine ready & ran on time.As a token of appreciation,Miller claims the other guy was cheating. Nice!

I'm pretty sure every Engine Masters Challenge he has entered he ended up with DNF. (Did not finish)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
starfire

STP is "Setting The Pace", the book I had referred to earlier in my post. If you don't have a copy, get one and read it. It is an amazing compilation of Oldsmobile history.

Thanks for answering my question.

Weight of cars in 1976:

Starfire = 2983 - 3014 lbs
Omega = 3341 - 3443 lbs
Cutlass = 3751 - 4084 lbs

I got the weight of my Omega down to 3230lbs minus driver and with a full tank of gas. Future plans, mini starter, S10 steering box, aluminum radiator, fiberglass hood and front bumper. That should bring the weight down another 100lbs or so.

joe_padavano

And just to add a little to this post, the X-body (Nova, Omega, Ventura, Apollo) plaform was the same for 1968-1974 and changed for 1975-1979. Size was about the same but few parts interchange between the generations.

Frame connectors are the same. 1975-79 X bodies share alot of the same front suspension parts as 75-81 F bodies.

Railguy

I had the same problem with My 74 Omega.I bought new motor mounts from Rocket Racing.They where so close to fitting but just didn't.I wound up putting the old ones back in.Also the trans mount was way off turned out the Nova trans mount worked perfect.I think a lot of company's know how hard it is to get parts and just take a chance that you'll make it work. As for the Omega being a compact I have a sales brosure comparing it to a VW.

Dick Miller use to race a 1973 Omega, you think he would atleast put on his website that if you have a 1973-79 Omega that came with a SBO to order the solid BBO mounts he makes that are suppose to fit.

If anything I think it would be to his advantage to do everything in his power to list what fits what and show pictures of all his products with descriptions so people can compare their parts with his best way possible before ordering something he tells his customers to order to prevent something like this from happening in the future.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
I like this site and how eager some members are to prove someone else wrong or who is to blame.

Last edited by SBORule; July 14th, 2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old July 14th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I like this site and how eager some members are to prove someone else wrong or who is to blame.
That's how we roll, Dog ::insert Grin Smilie with Gold Teeth:: .

It's all about assigning blame, and, more importantly, ferreting out every tiny mistake that anyone utters. It's kind of half a mind game, like Jeopardy, where there's no prize, and no chance of winning (as long as Joe's computer's working ), and half an urge to help others in a perverse way, that manifests itself in wanting to refine as much inaccuracy out of the responses as humanly possible.

Thing is, it's not personal (especially if the person who was wrong stands up and says so), it's just a game.

From all I'm hearing, it does sound like this Dick guy is a pri¢, though, and I agree, if he had half a brain, he'd write his web descriptions so that there was no room for "interpretation" about what the parts do and don't it, especially in an area like motor mounts, which is a notorious swamp.

He still doesn't owe you shipping, though .

- Eric
Old July 15th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Frame connectors are the same. 1975-79 X bodies share alot of the same front suspension parts as 75-81 F bodies.
75-79 X-body cars share most front suspension parts with 1970-81 F-body cars. Similarly, 68-74 X-body cars share front suspension parts with 67-69 F-body cars.

On the other hand, the 68-74 X-body cars are rear-steer, the 75-79 are front steer. Completely different front subframe, steering linkage, crossmember location. That's why the 73-74 Omegas use the front motor mount location on the block and the 75-79 cars use the rear motor mount location - the crossmember on the subframe is further rearward on the 75-79 cars.

The fact that both generations are able to use the same subframe connectors is kind of irrelevant to any discussion of motor mounts, however. The parts that matter (subframe, frame mounts, crossmember location, steering linkage, etc.) are completely different and do not interchange.
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:26 PM
One of None W-31

Incorect to post that Mr. Miller has always had a "Did not finish" result in the Engine Masters Challenge. He has indeed finished before with no problem and in one competition where he did not win 1st place, was written up by Popular Hotrodding as having the "smoothest engine" above all others, "Is 599 horsepower on pump gas enough power for you? We think so, and we feel this particular engine was worthy of documenting. Yes, the Jeg's Engine Masters Challenge is over, and yes, this engine did participate and it did not win. It was not even the highest-finishing Oldsmobile entry. However, it was, by far, the smoothest-running engine in the entire competition."

Posting bad/incorrect info in a haphazardly manner needs to stop.

The article goes on to say this about the engine Mr. Miller built,

"We felt no other entry could have shown itself as a better, more honest street engine, and the fact it was based on the common 403 Olds was all the convincing we required. Dick Miller built one hell of a good street engine, and it's one we'd love to have under the hood of our daily drivers. Check out the build, and know that plenty of smooth power in a truly usable rpm range is the result of these efforts. It's a cool build, and we're proud to share it."

Again, to post "I'm pretty sure he got a "did not finish" in EVERY attempt, is not only totally incorrect, but ignores the praise his engine building prowess brought to him publically, even when he lost. How many people get praised when losing? Says a lot. Not saying Mr Miller is perfect, but realize that posting bad/false facts publically, will hurt your integrity. Lets be better than that. Many other articles praising Mr. Miller's engine builds are easily accessed through Google. Being upset is one thing, slander without taking the time to check the facts is another. No one is perfect, but we can do better than made up nonesense.

Last edited by 71 Cutlass; July 15th, 2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 71 Cutlass
Incorect to post that Mr. Miller has always had a "Did not finish" result in the Engine Masters Challenge. He has indeed finished before with no problem and in one competition where he did not win 1st place, was written up by Popular Hotrodding as having the "smoothest engine" above all others. Again, to post "I'm pretty sure he got a "did not finish" in EVERY attempt, is not only totally incorrect, but ignores the praise his engine building prowess brought to him publically, even when he lost. How many people get praised when losing? Says a lot.
2007 432ci BBO DNQ No Oldsmobiles 2008 Bill Trovoto 401ci made 639HP and placed 10th in 2009 and the Dick Miller 403 that supposedly made 599HP I don't know what year that was and that wasn't enough to make it into the top 10 muchless 1st place.

PHR will say nice things about you if you advertise in their magazine, they were just throwing Dick Miller a bone.

Good news to report, Dick Miller sent me a return shipping label via snell mail 10 days after sending me his last smartass email reply to me, so the wrong motor mount is now on the way back to DMR along with the oil pan baffle I ordered for a full refund and I included the DMR log book that was free with my order which was over $50. The oil baffle had serious fitment issues that I recorded with my video camera should I need to prove it was piece of crap.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old July 31st, 2011, 11:29 AM

Anything you read in a magazine has to be taken with a grain of salt.More often than not,there's a lot of BS between the lines.It doesn't matter what magazine it is.Finishing in the top ten is a great accomplishment in the EMC,when you are building a dinosaur like an Olds engine,and competing with the latest & greatest Fords,Chevys & Mopars.The Olds diesel block is not allowed in the competition,otherwise that would be chosen,and some results would be different.There always seems to be a certain angle in the rules,that gives the advantage to the big 3 engine brands.Do you actually think the majority of the population would buy & read a magazine with an article about an Olds engine mopping up the big 3 in a competition? NO. Politics anyone?

Quick Reply: Dick Miller is a joke