General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1970? Cutlass Supreme Convertible??

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Registered

1970? Cutlass Supreme Convertible??

I saw this car for sale a few day ago up the road and checked it out, got some pics today. The guy said it was a '72 and I didn't even notice that it wasn't. Or at least I don't think it is?
I'm not real familiar with the Oldsmobile non-wagon/Vista cars.
He wants $3500 for it, been in a barn for nine years and has a few nests in it, generally beat but it runs and stops. Has the Chebby Vigilite indicators on the tops of the fenders, no fiber optics to them though, look cool. AC, PS, PB, HEI distrubutor and air cleaner with indentation for it, discs, tilt, 350 auto, camaro or something buckets but has the originals along with some new carpeting I saw before.
It has some normal rust here and there, have to really check it out to tell how bad, frame looks okay but would have to really go over it, not big chunk flaking rust with some paint left so not bad for around here.
The inside of the doors are a light greenish or gold?, interior is black. I have a pic of the trim tag but paint makes it hard to tell what stuff is on there?
Is it a '70?? I got the VIN but think I messed up copying it down because it won't decode, 342670M369999.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cutlass for sale 002s.jpg (142.0 KB, 60 views)
cutlass for sale 004s.jpg (149.4 KB, 67 views)
cutlass for sale 007s.jpg (164.2 KB, 62 views)
cutlass for sale 013s.jpg (92.6 KB, 50 views)
cutlass for sale 005s.jpg (148.3 KB, 48 views)
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:01 PM

It decoded for me on oldsvin.

Year: 1970
Division: Oldsmobile
Series: Cutlass Supreme
Body: 2dr Convertible
Plant: Lansing, Michigan
Serial Number: 369999
Old June 15th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Registered

Thanks Randy, I guess I was doing something wrong in the decoder.

I think the car was maybe code 58 Burnished Gold with a gold top or side trim?
I have to tell the owner it's a '70 now, he doesn't know anything about it other than he bought it and stuck it in a barn, has cars and stuff for sale all the time, plants, crafts. Had a nice '62 chebby sedan he sold, very clean. I've been to garage sales there and he has a lot of good stuff.
Junkman in other words, my hero.
Old June 15th, 2010, 09:45 AM

See I was thinking it was a 50, not a 58. It's very hard to tell as the plate is covered in crap. I've never seen one so illegible. It's like they painted tar over it.
The H would be a gold top.
Old June 15th, 2010, 08:14 PM

I think 70 Cutlass convertibles are a great buy, hard to tell from the pics on how much work it would be, we all know it takes 3 times as much as we hope for to get a car how we want it but looks pretty good for the price
Old June 16th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Registered

I may have to go look at that car a little more closely.
I could probably get him down on the price, it may be worth more but 2k is as high as I would go.
It has too much rust for me to keep, actually any rust is too much for me, too old for that.
I would just clean it up a little and flip it...famous last words.
The big mouse nest sitting on the intake manifold will probably start on fire and burn the car down before that though.
I told the owner about the nest but he doesn't really care, be work to clean the car, still has critter droppings all over it and inside, he just dragged it out of the barn and that's it.
Should I tell him it's a '70?
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I may have to go look at that car a little more closely.
I could probably get him down on the price, it may be worth more but 2k is as high as I would go.

Should I tell him it's a '70?
Tell him the correct year and see if that changes the price any? A convertible sure would be nice, but the rust
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Cutlass Lover

Ah... come on Blue - Go for it! You have a hood pad that will fit it - that's a start, lol!! The poor old thing - just sitting in a barn... that's sad.
Old June 16th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Ah... come on Blue - Go for it! You have a hood pad that will fit it - that's a start, lol!! The poor old thing - just sitting in a barn... that's sad.
It's sitting out now for good, the barn was somewhere else.
I'm college poor, that kid better build me a big garage at her/our estate and be my auto benefactor when she's rich.
Old June 16th, 2010, 04:04 PM

nickname.....toofer!!

I would take that thing to see a dentist....it's missing a tooth....less headaches I guess. I paid $2K for a convertible once...much in the same condition...I sold it to my buddy I work with and its worth a lot more than $2K now.. Of course I sweetened the deal with a complete 455, a turbo 350 trans, a complete dual gate console and a really rare 69 Hurst Olds spolier with the bullets on the ends instead of the upswung wings. If he didn't work with me I would have never gave him such a great deal. The car is sweet now and that's the main part. He cherishes it and keeps it in the garage mostly. Good luck with the droptop. The pans and trunk would be the 1st thing to look at. Just my 02 cents. Oldsdroptop