General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Cloth bench, complete!

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2017, 05:07 AM

Cloth bench, complete!

Had my Convertibles bench redone in cloth. The guys I used did an amazing job. Looking forward to not burnng my *** this summer.

Old February 20th, 2017, 05:23 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Very nice
Old February 20th, 2017, 05:46 AM
4R5

Agreed, very nice! I'm looking to something similar with my '71 seats, how much did you pay to have your's done?
Old February 20th, 2017, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by 4R5
Agreed, very nice! I'm looking to something similar with my '71 seats, how much did you pay to have your's done?
Thanks. I had the top redone, the front and back seats for $2600. I think if you break it out, the seats were $1100 front & back. I was originally only going to do just the front ($600), but he talked me into doing the back seat as well. I thought $500 was too much for the back, but at that point whatever.... Great guys, small shop, not the best part of town. I was getting estimates of $4900+ from all the other shops (welcome to Long Island), so it was still a bargain. And Im glad he talked me into the back seat; car looks great, and dosent smell of smoke and mildew anymore.
Old February 20th, 2017, 10:44 AM

Nice job. My 70 Cutlass convertible has cloth front bench but the rear is vinyl. The front is too springy and soft. I need to replace the foam. Im using cardboard to sit on so I dont sink.
Old February 20th, 2017, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by ELY442
Nice job. My 70 Cutlass convertible has cloth front bench but the rear is vinyl. The front is too springy and soft. I need to replace the foam. Im using cardboard to sit on so I dont sink.
Ha ha. I was sitting on a bath towel folded over like 4 times. The only issue now after the shop re-stuffed them and fixed the innards is that the seat-backs are now so thick theyre pushing me too close to the wheel/brake pedal, and theres not enough width in the bench under my thighs. I have the seat racked all the way back and hoping there was an adjustment to move the seatbacks further back, but I cant find any, even after some suggestions on this site. Im sure Ill get used to it.
Old February 20th, 2017, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by PM70
Ha ha. I was sitting on a bath towel folded over like 4 times. The only issue now after the shop re-stuffed them and fixed the innards is that the seat-backs are now so thick theyre pushing me too close to the wheel/brake pedal, and theres not enough width in the bench under my thighs. I have the seat racked all the way back and hoping there was an adjustment to move the seatbacks further back, but I cant find any, even after some suggestions on this site. Im sure Ill get used to it.
There were floor seat mounts available on one of the Oldsmobile suppliers website that let the seat adjustment go back an additional few inches. I just cannot recall at the moment which one - it might have been the Brothers catalog.
Old February 21st, 2017, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by anthonyP
There were floor seat mounts available on one of the Oldsmobile suppliers website that let the seat adjustment go back an additional few inches. I just cannot recall at the moment which one - it might have been the Brothers catalog.
Thanks. I downloaded the catalog but didn't see any track parts. But now that I know they're out there I'll keep looking. I tried to look for the adjustment settings others have mentioned but couldn't find those, and the bumpers mentioned above are already pretty short. Maybe I'll look for a flatter steering wheel... Hate to mess with the seats again after they came out so nice
Old February 21st, 2017, 10:43 AM

Those look awesome! Definitely a good investment.

Does your car have power seats? It would give you more adjustment than a manual seat. If you're car doesn't have power seats hopefully you could salvage the power seat mechanism from a 70 A body and install it on the bottom of your seats.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Those look awesome! Definitely a good investment.

Does your car have power seats? It would give you more adjustment than a manual seat. If you're car doesn't have power seats hopefully you could salvage the power seat mechanism from a 70 A body and install it on the bottom of your seats.
I definitely considered that, and someone had offered me the parts for a pretty good price. If all else fails on the cheap I may end up going that way. Thanks!
Old February 22nd, 2017, 05:32 AM

Keep us posted.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 04:45 PM

The seats look fantastic ! OPG offers seat extenders for the buckets. They will put you
back another 2" Not sure about relocating the bench seat but really it's just flat steel
bars and new mounting points. Last I checked the bucket set was $133. I made my own using about $20 worth of 3/16" flat steel and some time.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chugger
The seats look fantastic ! OPG offers seat extenders for the buckets. They will put you
back another 2" Not sure about relocating the bench seat but really it's just flat steel
bars and new mounting points. Last I checked the bucket set was $133. I made my own using about $20 worth of 3/16" flat steel and some time.
Thanks Chugger, I could not think of the company. The part number is CH28991 at OPGI. I thought the brackets were for both seat types, but it does say bucket seats.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 06:40 PM

Check these links out below. I actually need to move the seat in the Cutlass a bit closer. Just about an inch too shirt for my girls and I'm not long legged either so it would be fine.

I too was thinking the power bench set up might provide a larger adjustment range but don't know that for sure. 15 years ago it seemed like folks were giving the bench power units away, not sure anymore, haven't even seen one for sale in a bit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-72-A-bo...U9lNwg&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/64-72-for-GM...pYLJca&vxp=mtr
Old March 3rd, 2017, 04:48 AM

Update: In this case, they overstuffed the seat back too much. Not only was I too close but the seat had become too shallow for comfort. So I went back to the shop and they removed about an inch and a half of extra foam. Problem solved! The seat back still had plenty of new foam left in it and is still plenty comfy and looks great. Better yet, they did it while I waited and for no charge. I guess things do work out once in a while...
Old March 3rd, 2017, 05:07 AM

Awesome! I'm glad you got it fixed without having to spend an arm and a leg.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
Check these links out below. I actually need to move the seat in the Cutlass a bit closer. Just about an inch too shirt for my girls and I'm not long legged either so it would be fine.

I too was thinking the power bench set up might provide a larger adjustment range but don't know that for sure. 15 years ago it seemed like folks were giving the bench power units away, not sure anymore, haven't even seen one for sale in a bit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-72-A-bo...U9lNwg&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/64-72-for-GM...pYLJca&vxp=mtr
Originally Posted by Olds64
Awesome! I'm glad you got it fixed without having to spend an arm and a leg.
Thanks!
Old March 3rd, 2017, 07:15 AM

Glad to hear that the problem was solved in a somewhat simple and cost free manner.