General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

How do you trust? Paint

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2016, 06:11 PM
344879M363895

How do you trust? Paint

Well I found myself going to the local burger joint this past week. Was about 40 or so older cars there (some would stay a bit then leave...) A nice GT500KR was there, aside from that I probably would had one of the most desirable rides at the event.

Met someone who has friends who have repaired some really special old cars before, including an original NASCAR pace car from the 60s and a high dollar Superbird. He said his friends could help me out with the fenders on the W30.

So, I've done some crazy things in life, like take this car to the state of Indiana and drop it off for a few months with Olds history master Jensen for his magic, but I was able to research his history on this site and see what he was all about beforehand. I'm wondering how I go about trusting someone to take care of this car and do the fender repairs. I'm almost afraid to say that I would rather remove the fenders and take them to be repaired vs leaving the entire car with them.

How do I do this???
Old June 12th, 2016, 06:43 PM

I don't like leaving my more precious cars with anyone because I pulled up to a light on my way to pick up my car across from a shop that had it only to see them smoking the tires. They can wreck it and walk away because you signed their paperwork stating they are not liable for damage. Not to scare the hell out of you but you need to know you can trust them. Check the BBB at the least and read what you sign. Good luck.
Old June 12th, 2016, 06:56 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

What is the extent of the work you need done? I've got 25 years of contacts in the muscle car/classic/antique restoration business in the Charlotte area. PM me.
Old June 13th, 2016, 04:31 AM

"Met someone who has some friends that can do the work"

I agree with Gary. REALLY check them out beforehand. BBB is a start. Ask them about references that you can contact yourself. Go to their shop ahead of time and not only look over what kind of set up they have, check out their security (fencing, lot access, etc...).

Maybe living in the DC area for the last 16 years has made me paranoid, but I always worry about someone making off with my car. Even my local garage knows to bring my Olds in at night and not leave it in the parking lot.
Old June 13th, 2016, 05:33 AM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by btw
What is the extent of the work you need done? I've got 25 years of contacts in the muscle car/classic/antique restoration business in the Charlotte area. PM me.
I'll let you see what I'm talking about when we meet up. I'm thinking they can just do patch panels. Typical lower fender rust.
Old June 13th, 2016, 06:25 AM

google their name and the name of the shop..be diligent..if they're a dousche someone will call them or the shop out.

BBB is good...see if they have a state charter..in other words a real business or a shade tree...dont get me wrong theres some really talented shade trees but do they have insurance when your car is in the shop? what happens if its stolen or the shop burns while in their custody

id be leery with leaving my stuff anywhere i cant check on it and surprise visit it

word of mouth is great..but 2 or 3 people isnt enough...ask the shop for a customer list..a legit shop will gladly give it...if they arent hiding anything

social media..like facebook and linkedin are good resources..

a contract..a hand written contract stating everything you want and expect such as cost and time line...a contract..a contract and a contract..if they wont sign walk..get a contract..

put a penalty clause...every time they miss a deadline you get a percentage knocked off the bill..they prob wont allow it..but it wakes them up and they know you are a serious person..believe me..it will wake them up

Last edited by marxjunk; June 13th, 2016 at 06:29 AM.
Old June 13th, 2016, 07:37 AM
Administrator

I would be very carefull I've seen it happen more times I care to admit where people were talked into a frame off resto by unscrupulous individuals only to pay a bunch of money and find their car has been scattered around a shop in boxes. Then they get frustrated and have to find someone to put their basket case back together.
Old June 13th, 2016, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by 70-442-W30
I'm almost afraid to say that I would rather remove the fenders and take them to be repaired vs leaving the entire car with them.
I don't think this would work. Every one of these cars have fitment issues. I think they would need the car to fit and contour the fenders. JMO

Rick
Old June 13th, 2016, 09:51 AM
morgan

sometimes tags like OH and OW have a way of being un-riveted
Old June 14th, 2016, 04:04 AM
car nut farmer

Met someone who has friends to fix your 1970 W30?.........huh.

I'd run away from that.

Talk with some of YOUR friends and learn from their experiences. Also as stated from above, get a list of customers a shop has done work for and contact them.

just sayin'
Old June 14th, 2016, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by btw
I don't know BTW. You're a Faber College alumni and that would give me pause. I hope your "contacts" aren't Bluto & D-Day. They did a decent job on Flounder's brother's Lincoln but I wouldn't trust them with a W-30.
Old June 14th, 2016, 06:09 AM

x2 for what everyone has already mentioned. Definitely do some research before allowing your car to sit at a shop to be repaired. FWIW, you should also ask how the repair is going to be done. Oldsguy had a 1969 Delta 88 redone at a shop years ago. It looked decent but it had a lot of Bondo in it.
Old June 14th, 2016, 07:41 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Just don't do it. WAY too sketchy a story.

- Eric
Old June 14th, 2016, 08:00 AM

The problem with vendors working on something is they can do more damage than they can work, and they won't pay you unless you take them to court.

You want someone with a known reputation, because that's their only vulnerability.
Old June 14th, 2016, 10:09 AM

I wish I could have had my body guy take a look at it to give his opinion. He was going to come over to look at our 4 speed Jetfire but it never worked out while your car was here.
Old June 15th, 2016, 05:34 AM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I wish I could have had my body guy take a look at it to give his opinion. He was going to come over to look at our 4 speed Jetfire but it never worked out while your car was here.
Well maybe I can meet you in TN and you can just take it back up there...