General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Winter Projects

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2020, 07:54 PM

Winter Projects

Whats keeping everyone busy this winter, automotive, or anything with an engine of sorts, related, while the cars are put up. Those of you in the south that get 12 months of good weather, I'm jealous.

I picked up a '79 Honda CB125S for a winter project a month or so ago. Scrap price, it was partially disassembled and a wiring mess. I know nothing about motorcycles but took a shot.

Here's where I messed up. I got a little gung-ho and ended up getting it running and riding in about a week. Kinda ruined the whole "winter project" thing. Oh well, its a blast!
SVmpnE4.jpg

Also doing the interior in my '91 Dodge W-150, and a heater core and windshield. Little more time consuming.

Fe7WIwJ.jpg

AFgYDZP.jpg

My '75 Ninety-Eight has been put away for just over a month now, and I miss driving it all the time.

George
Old December 16th, 2020, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Love the Dodge truck
Old December 16th, 2020, 08:28 PM

Well this is the time of year that my car comes out of 5 month summer hibernation and gets driven. Who wants to drive a convertible when it's 110º or more?
Old December 16th, 2020, 08:33 PM

Thanks!

Yeah thats a good point I really never put much thought into. A good buddy of mine just retired and moved to Florida after 41 years on the job in August, he said the same thing. Summer is just too hot to do much, but this time of year is perfect.

You dont have to shovel sunshine though!
Old December 16th, 2020, 08:38 PM

"quote" "Those of you in the south that get 12 months of good weather, I'm jealous" In the southwest not so lucky we had over 100 days of 110 plus degrees, to damn hot to work in the garage while it cools slightly in the evening the concrete, and stucco and asphalt stay hot after being relentlessly pounded by that kind of heat, don't get me wrong I chose to live in the desert so it is what it is, even though my 56 has a/c I aint driving a 64 year old car in that heat. Now that being said the weather is beautiful now and it's cruising and fixing weather !!
As far as projects its also a great time to be doing my wood working projects out on the patio (no room in the garage with the Olds and the Jeep) this is also a good time of the year to catch up with house repairs.
The Honda looks great !! and I'm sure its a blast !! it is great riding weather here now.
Old December 16th, 2020, 08:47 PM

Thanks! Its a lot of fun to blast around the city here (Chicago), I just wear a few layers lol.

I think the warmest we had this summer that I was out crusing in was about 95-100. Humid as can be though, but the Tempmatic kept me nice and cool
Old December 16th, 2020, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Georges75
Thanks! Its a lot of fun to blast around the city here (Chicago), I just wear a few layers lol.

I think the warmest we had this summer that I was out crusing in was about 95-100. Humid as can be though, but the Tempmatic kept me nice and cool
I lived most of my life in the Chicago area (south sider Oak Lawn& Blue Island) I had a 71 Triumph Bonneville and I loved to ride !!
my wifes uncle gave me a old snowmobile suit and a few times during the winter if the streets were dry and I could get the old Bonnie started I rode to work only a 5 mile ride, those were the days !!!I think on those days the oil was more like pudding than oil, a little hard to kick her over !!

Last edited by solly; December 16th, 2020 at 09:38 PM.
Old December 17th, 2020, 06:56 AM

I bought a power window setup for my car, that’s my winter project while the Olds is in dry dock. I’m hoping new regulators will help get rid of some nasty wind noise. Seems like the windows won’t hold adjustment, they never seem to stop in the same location.

I have some Bob Vila projects around the house.

I had a really nice 85 cutlass with T tops back in 96-97ish. I worked at a Buick dealership about 45 minutes away from where I lived. It was a absolutely gorgeous Friday afternoon, but about 40 degrees. It had been a absolutely rotten day where nothing went right. I decided I didn’t care about the cold, took out the T Tops and drove home with the heater going full blast. It’s hard to be in a bad mood driving a therapy machine!! Sure, I got some strange looks but I didn’t care.

Just because the weather (within reason) isn’t ideal doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy your cars.
Old December 17th, 2020, 08:45 AM

My work should be slowing down for winter, so I'll be bouncing between pub stuff, the Cutlass and getting started on my grand daughters 2nd hot rod...a 23 t-bucket. This will reach triple digit speeds powered by a KTM 250sx engine.

Old December 17th, 2020, 10:21 AM
Vincit qui se vincit

If you’re in Binghamton New York this weekend, your winter project is digging your car out, or just getting out of your house!

https://www.syracuse.com/weather/202...ee-photos.html