General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Whoops and something else to fix

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2009, 08:11 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Whoops and something else to fix

Took the cutlass out for a ride for the 4th. Dropped the top beautiful weather. No problems. Went to a local town to watch fireworks. Put the top up and locked the car. Came back the key won't unlock either door.
Had the car for about a year and never locked it before. Guess should have checked before now. went across the street to a party asked if they had a old coat hanger. They did thanked very much and went to work. I am not a pro but got it popped in about 10 min. I am very glad it was a convertible with loose windows and old weather stripping.
I put my new "key" in the trunk for safe keeping.

Hope everyone had a good 4th.

Larry
Old July 5th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Captain of my ship

Key problem

If you have the wrong key for the locks you can get a locksmith to make a new key for your doors. Could also be a problem with rusty or sticking parts , my astro has problems with 3 of 4 locks. real pain
Old July 7th, 2009, 12:35 AM

Dumb question.....what year is the car? Before 1971 the door locks were the same as the ignition. Not like you would be used to for the 71 and up 2 key GM cars where the doors, trunk, console (where applicable) and glove box are one key and the ignition is another.
For example my 70 the doors and ignition are one key and the trunk, glove box and consle are the other.

Might try that before resorting to major surgery.

EDIT: OK I see it is a 71 (DUH read the profile first huh...), but it couldn't hurt to try.
Old July 7th, 2009, 02:53 AM

Unhappy Locked out

If you take the lock cylinder out of the door, there is a code stamped on it and you take it to the GM dealer and he cuts you a couple of keys, or to a locksmith (more money )...that is if the cylinder is not seized...around here you have to show your drivers licence and/or ownership...
Old July 7th, 2009, 10:54 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Believe me I tried both keys in both doors several times. I will do something at a later date. I am changing the pass. door in the future. Let's face it an old convetible can be busted into very quickly with a cheap pocket knife. Glove box and trunck both work. I put most stuff in there.
Larry