General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

White letter tires and vintage cars

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2011, 05:22 AM

White letter tires and vintage cars

I have noticed what I deem an inordinate amount of white letter tires on cars from the 60’s. I lived those years myself and I don’t remember that many cars (even 442’s and Cutlass’s) with white or red letter tires.

Today when I came to work there was a 1964 Impala, 2 door, hardtop, single exhaust, 3 on the tree sitting in the parking lot with white letter tires. Looks wrong to me! Have I forgotten or do people today do this because they think it’s cool rather than correct?

Thanks for any insight!

Robert
Old June 28th, 2011, 05:37 AM

In my mind, because tires are consumable items, any tire style made after the production date of the car would be fine. Now if you are going for a concours restoration, you would want to have the correct style tire for that year. I also happen to think that the RWL on my '68 look awesome. But that is just my opinion, others may differ.
Old June 28th, 2011, 06:02 AM

Factory Raised White Lettered tires didn't really start to appear widespread on musclecars until after 1968 generally (1969 and up with the advent of wide treads). Most tires before then were Blackwall, Red/Yellow/Blue lines on performance car applications, and of course Whitewalls with varying thicknesses and sometimes double Whitewalls. I agree with you that the early cars just don't look right with R/W/L tires. There were exceptions. I restored a '70 GTO Judge in the early '90s that the build sheet showed as coming with thin whitewalled G70-14 tires from the factory, not R/W/L as most all came with.
Old June 28th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Well RWL tires have been around since 65 or 66. I think the first time I saw them they were smaller RWL on a Goodyear tire in the 60's. Firestone wide oval in 68, and Bfg were really popular from the early 70's on!!
Old June 28th, 2011, 06:47 AM

I think the RWL look good on some cars and not others. If you are doing a stock restoration and the RWL were not available then they should not be used. I love em' on my 72' and they do look good. Again it comes down to it's your car if you want to have them go for it.
Old June 28th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Lettered tires look good on "mag" wheels, but not with hubcaps.

Although most "restored" cars you see rolling these days seem to have mag wheels, we all know that the VAST majority of cars "back then" came with hubcaps.

I spent a goodly amount of time looking for whitewalls in my size (235/75x15) recently, and finally had to settle on tires that weren't as good as I had wanted because they just don't seem to make whitewalls anymore. This may be another reason: If you want good, modern tires, you can only get 'em in black or lettered.

- Eric
Old June 28th, 2011, 07:37 AM

Old June 28th, 2011, 07:37 AM

Tell me that dont look good.
Old June 28th, 2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
Tell me that dont look good.
Looks awesome! I think RWL tires (especially the period small, block lettering) looks KILLER with painted steelies and poverty caps!!
Old June 28th, 2011, 07:45 AM

Talking about the RWL it reminded me of my first car I bought when I was 17. I think we have all been there. It was a 1961 Ford Falcon POS. It was 1982 and the first thing I did was get a set of Keystone Classic mags, big wide ones on the rear with RWL, and of course the CB antenna on the trunk. I spent more on the tires and rims than on the car. Boy was my old man cheezed off at me.....Good times.
Old June 28th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Oldsdruid

Some people do it to be perverse or because they don't know or care better, but simple fact is you often cannot get those large size 14" tires in a whitewall. So it's either show the white letters, turn them in, send them off to somewhere like Diamondback Classics to get a correct WW put on, or pay out the wazoo for reproduction tires.

Like Eric, I recently had to search for and finally special order 225/75R15 whitewall passenger car tires for the wagon- not one tire store here stocked them, though I could get all the LT tires I wanted in that size. The 235 LT tires I needed for the truck ALSO had to be ordered.

Ended up with Kumho Solus which so far seem to be a good tire, though I would rather have had North American production. Firestone and Cooper/Mastercraft are about the only NA tiremakers who supply those large sizes.
Old June 28th, 2011, 11:55 AM

I had a low mileage '79 Dodge Aspen wagon that I bought off my Grandfather back in the mid '90s. It needed tires so I bought some cheap RWL 225/70R14 tires for it, removed the hubcaps and replaced the lug nuts with Chrome ones and gave it that 'Super Stock' Dodge 'A12' look.
Old June 28th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Ben

i'm waitin for them to repop the ole dual stripe white walls...

LOL

RWL just looks good on most classic cars- Although i would really love to get a set of diamondback redlines to go on my car. Maybe when my bfg's wear out.
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:03 PM

The look I cant stand is BFG white letter radials. Bias ply white letters are fine, I think they look awesome if the car came with them. Modern white letter tires on a muscle car look like *** to me.
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Randy C.

Back in the early 70s, I recall really liking the looks of the rwl tires but my brothers and I couldn't convince my parents to buy them. They did have the double white-line tires on the 4-4-2 at one time but we hated it! Then, we convinced my parents just to get blackwall Goodyear or Firestone tires for the 4-4-2 and my brothers and I would take care of the rest. They did, and we did, too. Those tire paint "crayons" of the early 70s were our favorite and we did our best to dress up the new Goodyear tires to emulate the rwl look. And they did look good...for about two weeks...before the white turned yellow...and we had to clean the letters and do them again. We did it, though. Our parents had really cool cars (dad's was the '68 4-4-2 (now mine), mom's was the '67 Camaro) and we couldn't let them down!

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds68RandyCMar70.jpg (36.6 KB, 40 views)
Olds68442convMar71b.jpg (42.7 KB, 44 views)
Olds442ChevCamaroMar71.jpg (58.6 KB, 46 views)
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:31 PM

cfe809ec.jpg

I don't believe these tires look like ***??!! Don't know if these are the "modern white letter tires" u speak of...but I could think of many other words to describe white letter tires, and it's not "like ***". I don't believe your 65 came with red painted steel wheels, but that's ur preference. I would prefer white letter tires with some nice wheels rather than penny pinch and spray a steel wheel the same color as the car. Of course, I'm not fond of color match wheels. To each is own, who would of thought lettered tires could bring such conversation!!!
Old June 28th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Senior Moment Member

Hmmm......
Old June 28th, 2011, 03:36 PM

Letters

profile.jpg

Nice looking 65! In fact I really dig your wheels.

My 64 is the first car where I had color matched wheels....and I am pretty apathetic about them...I can take them or leave them. I think some SS1 wheels might look more correct than the wheels I am running now. As far as the original post is concerned, the white letters certainly make the car look different. I would like to put on some stock wheels and caps, with some redline BFG TA's and see how that would look.
Old June 28th, 2011, 04:13 PM

Been There, Done That!

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Lettered tires look good on "mag" wheels, but not with hubcaps.

Although most "restored" cars you see rolling these days seem to have mag wheels, we all know that the VAST majority of cars "back then" came with hubcaps.

I spent a goodly amount of time looking for whitewalls in my size (235/75x15) recently, and finally had to settle on tires that weren't as good as I had wanted because they just don't seem to make whitewalls anymore. This may be another reason: If you want good, modern tires, you can only get 'em in black or lettered.

- Eric
I Agree Totally!!!

I've been looking for the correct tires for my '67 Delta 88 Custom. I guess I could try to obtain 855x14 bias ply whitewall tires but I'd rather go with radials and they don't make them anymore in my size. 225/75/14, the next size down is incorrect as well. I really do love my '67 Olds wire wheel covers (thanks copper125) and I wish that I could use them with my 14" rims and some nice white walls. I have decided to go with some 235/70/15 B.F. Goodrich RWL's with some Classic Cragar SS wheels. If 255/60/15's series will fit, I might consider those as well.

B.T.W. My car car came from the second owner, with the tires that you see in the picture below, although with different wheel covers. I put the premium wire wheel covers on.

06-18-2011Lansingcropsm.jpg

Jaybird & Family, Lansing, MI, June 18, 2011

I'm picking up two 235/70/15 RWL B.F. Goodrich Radial T/A's tomorrow. If they fit nicely, I will be back later this week to get three more.

F.Y.I. My '74 Gremlin-X came with... Goodyear Polyglas bias ply tires D70/14 RWL. Try to find those today! I couldn't find them back-in-the-day, when I needed to replace them. There is no way you'd get me to use Firestone. The FireHawks you see above on my '67 Delta Custom are the incorrect size and were purchased by the second owner. They came with my car when it was purchased by me.

Also, the reason I need to replace my tires A.S.A.P. is because I experienced cord separation on two tires at the same time . My right front tire and my left rear tire both sufferd cord seperation, on my way home from Lansing, last weekend$$$

Blah, Blah, Blah... I know... It sucks to be me!

Jaybird

Last edited by Jaybird; June 30th, 2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old June 28th, 2011, 04:35 PM

As a sportscar racer in the mid-1960s, I was enamored of raised white-lettered tires because that's what came on what passed for racing tires in those days. Whenever I washed and detailed Dad's 64 Starfire, I spent a couple of hours with a white grease-pencil highlighting the tire lettering. Well, I was young and stupid...I got better, I am no longer young.
Old June 28th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

I like the white letters...........IMO
Old June 28th, 2011, 05:47 PM

My car came with RWL and I think the RWL's look best on a SSI, II or III or any sport wheel.
Old June 28th, 2011, 06:42 PM

They look a heck of lot better than the white walls that were on my Delta to start with...

And gotta admit, look good sitting still.
Old June 28th, 2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by 1965cutlassragtop

I don't believe these tires look like ***??!! Don't know if these are the "modern white letter tires" u speak of...but I could think of many other words to describe white letter tires, and it's not "like ***". I don't believe your 65 came with red painted steel wheels, but that's ur preference. I would prefer white letter tires with some nice wheels rather than penny pinch and spray a steel wheel the same color as the car. Of course, I'm not fond of color match wheels. To each is own, who would of thought lettered tires could bring such conversation!!!

Well, since my car was built at Fremont it has a third letter in the paint code. Want to guess what that letter means? Hint, it has something to do with wheel color. And Ive pinched a lot of pennies because I have three sets of wheels for it. One set thats on the car now are very rare wheels made in the 1960s that cost a lot of pennies to find and restore. None of the tires have raised white letters. Even my pick up truck has the letters turned in.

My choice, my opinion. And my opinion is raised white letters suck.
Old June 28th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Oldsdruid

If you're hardcore about the whitewall and want radials, Diamondback can put about any whitewall you want on a modern casing radial tire. Not saying it might not be a white letter tire with its RWL scuffed off and a new white stripe vulcanized onto it. Last I checked getting this done was a little cheaper than reproduction tires.

Buddy had a double stripe WW put on a set for his 66 Starfire- one 5/8" stripe, one 1/4" stripe, similar to what Cadillac and Chrysler were using then. And that car looks dynamite with them. White car, whitewalls and correct 66 tri-bar wires.

*Addendum* Starting about early-60s most vehicles destined for full wheelcovers had the wheels painted black. Cars destined for dogbowls usually had the wheels painted lower body color. Chrysler was a notable exception- you almost always saw body color between the full wheelcover and tire, or sometimes white. You saw either body color or black on some of their musclecars that simply used chrome lug nuts with no cap at all.

Olds liked to paint their spare wheels gray, and Ford liked to paint theirs silver.

Last edited by rocketraider; June 28th, 2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old June 28th, 2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by 1965cutlassragtop

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-9441636...162_1211192243

could be a complement I like ***.
Old June 28th, 2011, 07:43 PM

Old June 28th, 2011, 08:12 PM

Lots of opinions on tires - its how we each view them on different wheels and cars.

I was born in 71 and when I was a kid, I was attracted to those white letters a lot. "Super wide oval" is the one I remember well. They were popular then, so thaty is kinda why they look nice on older cars.
I like 'em. Lady's previous tires were RWOL, which I really liked but are very difficult to find now off the rack.
Old June 28th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

May I just point out that ALL of the car photos posted (except for two: one with wire-wheel hubcaps that looked bad, and one with "dog bowls" or "police caps" that looked good) are using lettered tires with mag wheels. Even the bad-looking one shown with wire-wheel hubcaps doesn't look terrible.

It seems like everybody these days puts mag wheels on their cars, in which case the lettered tires look okay.

- Eric
Old June 28th, 2011, 08:40 PM

RWL are just plain sporty, like stripes on the car, or the scoops on the hood.
Some people are pureists and I get it.
Not all people want RWL and cars without them look fine.
I am probably the biggest fan of Classic RWL on this board.
I like how they look when the tire rolls and I'm into the classic old school ones that surprise me because they are so old yet still in good condition.
Tires dry rot and wear out and these classics are almost extinct.
Seeing ones I never saw before is to me like seeing a new 3 Stooges I never saw before when I thought I saw them all.

From Nascar to F1 to Motorcycles and sports cars I like how they roll.
Typical old schools include Dunlop Qualifiers, GoodYear GT ,,not GTII's but GT, Firestone FireHawks etc etc.
I just bought a set of 4 and set them aside until a later date a new set of Firestone Firehawks.
I am dissappointed because the lettering has changed.
they Used to read Firestone , Firehawk ..but the newest ones and the ones I got read Firehawk, Indy500.
Cleary not an old school tire but if I waited any long My choices would narrow.
Goodyears and Firestones are no longer produced but can be found in various warehouses.

RWL manufactureing has almost ceased except for SUV tires.

And now an amazing story that includes neither sex nor drugs nor rock and roll but a story about my tires I wear on my car.

I bought a set of 15" Rally II's that came with these really old RWL's.
They are so old no info exists anywhere on the internet.
They are Steel Radial Modifier 70s
If anyone ever searches on the internet the only thing they will find is this thread.
Anyway one of the tires is worn on the edge and doesn't ride good so I was bummed out because I like these tires so much but my car isn't safe to ride with it for too long.
So as the story goes I searched every inch of the internet and only one result came along.
It was an ad a woman posted for a single Steel Radial Modifier 70s.
She had it posted for a lady friend that had it in her 10 x 10 shed with some other odd and ends.The website was so obscure I never heard of it.
Somewhere people can place ads but they don't expire like CL.
I thought no way, this has to be the internet program filling in the name of the tire like Amazon always does. Yeah right, Steel Radials on Amazon, thx for wasteing a click Amazon.
Long story short, the tires were for Sale in Providence RI 15 mins away.
I made arrangements to see it at the ladie's shed, and there it was in all it's glory, $10!
She was a nice lady and I told her, If I didn't search the internet for this tire, it never would have sold in a million billion years because this tire is soooo long ago obsolete.
I gave her some extra $$ because she was nice and I was overjoyed.
The bad tire is now a good looking spare.
Which reminds me I better by a spare Firehawk soon.

PS RWL's used to be so popular there was one company that sold stick ons.
Does anyone else remember those.
Your tires could read Chevrolet Camaro if thats what you wanted.
Tacky IMHO
Attached Images
side.jpg (113.0 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Homestar; June 28th, 2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old June 28th, 2011, 08:50 PM

Firefrost Gold, I dig your car man!!!!!
Old June 28th, 2011, 09:56 PM

I like the RWL tires, but on the right car.

I had them on my Delta with the Olds Rally Wheels and they looked good IMO, but somebody on the Alero board put them on his Alero and they looked horrible, but at least he had the factory 6 star rims
Old June 28th, 2011, 10:16 PM
One of None W-31

I like RWL tires. When I bought my car (it was white w/ white wheels,a white top and white wall tires). First move was to buy RWL tires for the car, a new battery so it would run, and hit the paint booth.

Last edited by 71 Cutlass; June 28th, 2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old June 29th, 2011, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by my72vert
Firefrost Gold, I dig your car man!!!!!

If your talking about the 70 w-30 I posted All I can say is "I WISH"
but I do have this in my driveway so I will get buy.

And Boy does it need a FAT set of polyglas RWL
Old June 29th, 2011, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Homestar
I like how they look when the tire rolls and I'm into the classic old school ones that surprise me because they are so old yet still in good condition.
Seeing ones I never saw before is to me like seeing a new 3 Stooges I never saw before when I thought I saw them all.

Typical old schools include Dunlop Qualifiers, GoodYear GT ,,not GTII's but GT, Firestone FireHawks etc etc.
I just bought a set of 4 and set them aside until a later date a new set of Firestone Firehawks.
they Used to read Firestone , Firehawk ..but the newest ones and the ones I got read Firehawk, Indy500.
Goodyears and Firestones are no longer produced but can be found in various warehouses.

And now an amazing story that includes neither sex nor drugs nor rock and roll but a story about my tires I wear on my car.

If anyone ever searches on the internet the only thing they will find is this thread.
Anyway one of the tires is worn on the edge and doesn't ride good so I was bummed out because I like these tires so much but my car isn't safe to ride with it for too long.
So as the story goes I searched every inch of the internet and only one result came along.
She had it posted for a lady friend that had it in her 10 x 10 shed with some other odd and ends.The website was so obscure I never heard of it.
I thought no way, this has to be the internet program filling in the name of the tire like Amazon always does. Yeah right, Steel Radials on Amazon, thx for wasteing a click Amazon.
I made arrangements to see it at the ladie's shed, and there it was in all it's glory, $10!
She was a nice lady and I told her, If I didn't search the internet for this tire, it never would have sold in a million billion years because this tire is soooo long ago obsolete.

Tacky IMHO
Are you driving that wagon on those old tires? If you are youre playing with fire.
Old June 29th, 2011, 09:49 AM

@TK-65....now I know what it would like like if I flipped my tires around to the black letters, doesn't look bad, I could deal with it either way. I think the white letters give it a more sporty hot rod look. But I see your point, i think it looks good either way!!
Old June 29th, 2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
Hahaha, me too, definately an *** guy!!! Female ***, to be clear!!
Old June 29th, 2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Homestar

Tacky IMHO
They were sold thrue sam's club here in mn back in the 90's I had a set on a s-10 pickup were a great tire I think a few years back they still had them at sams but wife switched to costco . They were a yellow lable
tire from one of the big name's slips my mind it been a few years
Old June 29th, 2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by TK-65

Thats tricky funny but tricky
Old June 29th, 2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by TK-65
Are you driving that wagon on those old tires? If you are youre playing with fire.
Are you speaking from experience?
I think I will take your advise and put the new tires on.
I kinda felt that way already.
I will mount these oldies on steel rims with hub caps just to sit on for next winter.

Quick Reply: White letter tires and vintage cars