General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What's this ??

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2017, 02:26 PM

What's this ??

Does anyone know where this plug might plug into on a 1970 442 automatic with AC. Its under dash left of steering wheel behind gas gauge Not sure it was ever hooked to anything. Don't see a mate for it anywhere Thanks. Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0966.JPG (2.20 MB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0967.JPG (1.61 MB, 87 views)
Old February 27th, 2017, 02:43 PM

i dont recognize the plug..but its common for GM to have extra plugs that where folded back and tapped up..the may never be used, and is there because theres an option that uses it..even though your car doesnt have the option

its a power feed for something big..being orange..other orange things ove seen is power seat, window etc..
Old February 27th, 2017, 02:44 PM

That looks like a plug for a switch. If the car hasn't been molested, and the wire harness is truly original, then I would be thinking possibly a rear window heater or something like that. Check to see what terminal has the power, and if the terminals that don't have power are grounded. Your best bet, would be the original wiring diagram. I know that my 1967 Pontiac had lots of terminal ends that were not used. In some instances, they were clipped off close to the wire harness wrap, and others were just left dangling. At that time, it was less expensive to manufacture one wire harness that handled all the options, then it was to have multiple wire harness's that changed for one option. An example of this was the engine lighting wire
harness. The plugs were on the wires for the cornering lamps, and if the car was ordered without cornering lamps, they cut the pigtail off.
Old February 27th, 2017, 02:50 PM

Got the complete wire harness out of car now, dont see anywhere it could plug into. Car has power door locks but they hook into the main harness -----thanks. Greg
Old February 27th, 2017, 04:54 PM

Just a guess but it MIGHT be the plug for if your car had the optional seat back releases in the bucket seats. They were only available with power locks so that MIGHT make sense.
Old February 27th, 2017, 04:58 PM

Kinda looks like a flasher unit would plug into that.
Old February 27th, 2017, 09:07 PM

scan0002-1.jpg
Old February 27th, 2017, 09:12 PM

What color wire is connected to the center terminal?
Old February 28th, 2017, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by svnt442
What color wire is connected to the center terminal?

Looks like orange with black stripe----thanks. Greg
Old February 28th, 2017, 09:24 AM

Could be related to a power seat option. I believe orange is generally always hot, but can be switched. This post might be relevant.
Old February 28th, 2017, 06:25 PM

I did take a peek at the 1970 Fisher Body Service Manual, and I think the following wiring diagram (left side) might cover that connector:

Old February 28th, 2017, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Trails
I did take a peek at the 1970 Fisher Body Service Manual, and I think the following wiring diagram (left side) might cover that connector:

That could be it because i do have electric door locks on this 1970 442
Old February 28th, 2017, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
Just a guess but it MIGHT be the plug for if your car had the optional seat back releases in the bucket seats. They were only available with power locks so that MIGHT make sense.
I think your guessing ability is...above average.
Old February 28th, 2017, 07:08 PM

Call it a semi educated guess. I've had 88 cutlasses, & have pulled parts from, probably a couple hundred in yards over the last 30 years & had never seen that plug before. When you stated your car had power locks that kind of clued me in. I'm surprised no one has spoke up with a definite answer.
Old February 28th, 2017, 08:01 PM

if you had seat back locks, you had power door locks automatically, it used the lock harness..so it was mandatory..

if you had power locks and windows..you didnt have to have power seat back locks...so...the harness is equipped with the power feed.. but the plug is just taped up in the harness..as always..cost was everything..GM would save money with 1 harness instead of 2..use what ya need..dont use if ya dont..and i am not sure.its been so long since i pulled one apart..i just dont recognize the plug..but it makes sense..

like scott...ive seen it a bunch..and ya just "get" how it worked...ive had a close to 100 parts cars with power locks/windows etc...and few have seat back locks..it uses door jamb switches like dome light switches.if ya open the doors and see 2 door jamb switches..it has power seat back locks...

i did part a 70 Monte Carlo out in the 90s that had seat back locks on a BENCH seat...never saw another..had the build sheet, and it was right there on it too..was a really weird car..