General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Trofeo intermittent start problem

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2012, 08:17 AM

Trofeo intermittent start problem

Starts fine in AM, no start (no click, nothing) immediately after shutdown. Sometimes starts about one hour later w/o jump, sometimes requires jump. Battery tests good, replaced starter solenoid but solenoid still clicks occasionally. Ideas?
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Lansing built

Originally Posted by lsutigers93
Starts fine in AM, no start (no click, nothing) immediately after shutdown. Sometimes starts about one hour later w/o jump, sometimes requires jump. Battery tests good, replaced starter solenoid but solenoid still clicks occasionally. Ideas?
Sounds like high resistance problem, with heat added to the mix increases the resistance, what it is for sure? Question for you, is the starter easy to access, if so when you have a no crank, hook a remote start switch to the battery terminal and start terminal on the solenoid and try to crank it with switch alone, this will eliminate starter, solenoid and battery cables, if it cranks with the switch.
Do you have a service manual for that car? You would have to isolate the circuit and track down the problem.

Pat

Last edited by 1970cs; August 14th, 2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old August 14th, 2012, 10:13 AM

sounds like Battery cables or connectionif starter is good.
Old August 14th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Hangin' out...

Originally Posted by 1970cs
Sounds like high resistance problem, with heat added to the mix increases the resistance, what it is for sure? Question for you, is the starter easy to access, if so when you have a no crank, hook a remote start switch to the battery terminal and start terminal on the solenoid and try to crank it with switch alone, this will eliminate starter, solenoid and battery cables, if it cranks with the switch.
Do you have a service manual for that car? You would have to isolate the circuit and track down the problem.

Pat
Agreed. I had a similar problem with a 1986 buick I had years back. I never solved the problem, but I remember I could usually get it to start if I disconnected the battery, cleaned the connectors (no matter how clean they were), then reconnected. Hindsight is 20/20, but knowing what I know now, I would have replaced both battery cables. I found some very nice ones for my Olds on Rockauto.com. I went ahead and upgraded from 4 to 2 gauge. Cranks and starts like a new car. Make sure all your connections to the starter are clean, too.
Old August 15th, 2012, 09:53 PM

Starter connections are good, cables seem to be ok. Wouldn't do diddly poo at around seven this evening...went out at 10:30 and got a couple of clicks then a start...stopped at QT and the old radar detector (divorced display like a Valentine V1) chirped to life (it stopped working after I went under the dash to replace the flasher cans)...got home and shut down, recranked four times with no issues...wondering if I fricked something up under the dash?

I can't wait to get back to work so I can finish buying my '64 D88 and have something SIMPLE to drive!!
Old August 16th, 2012, 02:00 AM

If the connections are good and you got a click then it sounds like the starter brushes are down to the bone.
Old August 17th, 2012, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by stellar
If the connections are good and you got a click then it sounds like the starter brushes are down to the bone.
Assuming this is correct, getting nothing at all (with power to starter confirmed) when the starter is heat soaked would make sense, correct?