General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Tower Clamps

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2015, 07:18 PM

Tower Clamps

It is the simple crap that drives me nuts. I hated tower style hose clamps back in the day. They were hard to break loose and I always replaced them with worm drive adjustable hose clamps. When I redid my car I Installed Tower Style hose clamps for originality. I am fighting leaks from these SOB's all the time. What am I missing?
Old February 27th, 2015, 07:48 PM
Phantom Phixer

Tower clamps , as you are well aware , were junk to begin with years ago.
Now add in the factor that the present repo ones are probably chinesium and you have double junk.
Old February 27th, 2015, 09:11 PM
Lance

NOS Wittek tower clamps can still be located with some effort and are the best to use.

If you would rather not pay NOS prices, I have had decent luck with the tower clamps from AMK and PacecarJeff.

http://www.amkproducts.com/bulk1.asp

http://www.broachbuster.com/

I have had the most success installing these "tower" style clamps using a crescent wrench to stabilize the "tower" portion of the clamp as it raises. This will prevent the "tower" from twisting during the tightening process. I also use some "Permatex 97 Super High Tack" to both seal and secure all hose connections when using "tower" style clamps.

I hope this helps
Old February 27th, 2015, 10:15 PM

I grew up with the tower clamps, and never had a problem with them. The originals were easy to remove, and reuse, if you had learned the trick of taking them off without destroying them. The reproductions are made of a poor quality steel, and they don't work as well Personally, I do like them, and was very disappointed when they stopped manufacturing them.
Old February 28th, 2015, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by ROCKET VAPOR
NOS Wittek tower clamps can still be located with some effort and are the best to use.

If you would rather not pay NOS prices, I have had decent luck with the tower clamps from AMK and PacecarJeff.

http://www.amkproducts.com/bulk1.asp

http://www.broachbuster.com/

I have had the most success installing these "tower" style clamps using a crescent wrench to stabilize the "tower" portion of the clamp as it raises. This will prevent the "tower" from twisting during the tightening process. I also use some "Permatex 97 Super High Tack" to both seal and secure all hose connections when using "tower" style clamps.

I hope this helps
Thanks Lance,
I just ordered a whole set of these. I have refrained from the Permatx route up until now due to the seal when trying to take a hose off. I may have to revert to this if the leaks persist.
Old February 28th, 2015, 10:12 AM

I'm using repro clamps on 3 cars here that are driven, no Permatex, no leaks, no problems. You must double check them after install and running a bit. That said...originals are thicker + better quality. You MUST use a wrench on the tower while tightening the screw. The hose surfaces should be bare metal and smooth, not corroded. You have to make sure the screw is being driven straight, and the screw has to be tight. My clamps are tower, Corbin, spring flat-band type, and Olds double wire type depending on which car.