General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Top Boot Cover

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2010, 08:39 PM

Top Boot Cover

Has anyone ever had trouble putting their top boot cover on? I bought it last year from Legendary Auto Interiors. I have been struggling to put this thing on for nearly a year. Im starting to think they sent me the wrong year. Can someone explain how to put this thing on?

THANKS!!!!!
Old August 25th, 2010, 08:43 PM
One of None W-31

I have the same car..are you referring to the plastic strip part of the cover that goes under the stainless trim? If so, mine is hard to get on as well. I sanded down the plastic tab at the tip to make it fit easier under the stainless. If this is what you are referring to, that was my solution.
Old August 25th, 2010, 08:56 PM

it is easier if you lube it with some white lithium grease or even soapy water, it is very hard to get that bead in the channel. If you are talking about slipping it under the stainless trim you need to start from the center and work your way around
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:28 PM
One of None W-31

In the case of my car, the plastic was sooooo thick (aftermarket top boot), it coundn't even be hammered in...the plastic is just WAY too thick. I had recently borrowed an original boot for a parade my car was in, and this was an original boot from a local club member. Everything fit easily, which leads me to believe that, as usual, aftermarket pieces are never as good as the originals when it comes to fitting, no matter what part it is
Old August 26th, 2010, 12:41 AM

Thanks 71 Cutlass. I guess I'll try that. It just seems like the top boot is too small. Should it fit tight?
Old August 26th, 2010, 01:21 AM
...should get a life....

Probably too tight if its an aftermarket one. Mine is aftermarket from The Parts Place. They suggest you leave it in the sun for a while to soften then when you do get it on leave it in the sun as long as you can.
According to the instructions I have you're supposed to secure the side covers using the elastic straps then tuck the front of the boot into the channel behind the rear seat , clip the sides in place using the studs then, like 71 Cutlass says, starting at the middle, tuck the plastic tabs in under the stainless trim. How easy is that!!!
There's no way I can tuck the front of mine into that channel when I get out to the sides where the folds are but I can get the tabs under the stainless strip.Then there's the 2 foam pieces that sit under the boot to protect it. A puff of wind while you're struggling with everything else and away they go.
The old clip down boot on the '67 vert was a whole lot easier.
Good luck
Old August 26th, 2010, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Guess I'll head home now and place the top boot in the backyard.
Old August 26th, 2010, 08:44 AM
71 cutlass convertible

I got an old used one. Took about an hour to put it on. Got my wife out to look at it on because I will probably never put it on again.
Larry
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Registered

Those foam pads are supposed to be glued to the underside of the boot Col?

My '68 GTO has a U shaped channel on the back seat that a bead on the front of the boot slides into, two snaps on each side cover and the plastic or nylon tabs that slide under the stainless well moldings.
You have to have vise-grip like finger strength to put it on.
I can put mine on in five minutes, it's a lot easier if you warm it up or do it in the sun. The headliner pad and top will get really dirty if you always drive without the boot, probably why they call it a dust boot.
It should be tight as a drum with no wrinkles, after all the strips are under the trim you pull it forward on each side to get the strips under the trim really tight and keep them from popping out.
I have an original and a repo and they both fit good.
Old August 26th, 2010, 02:21 PM

Ok guys/gals. Here is a pic of the top boot installed. Is this how it is suppose to look? It seems as though something is missing in the front center to hold the vinyl top in place. Opinions please!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Top Boot.jpg (75.2 KB, 170 views)
Old August 26th, 2010, 05:15 PM

I have an Olds convertible (1962), not a Cutlass, but rather full-sized. I can tell you my boot does not look like that when installed, nor would I want it to look like that! Something is definitely amiss?
Old August 26th, 2010, 05:51 PM

by looking at the pic it looks like you didnt slide the round bead of plastic in the front through the metal strip thats mounted behind the seat
Old August 26th, 2010, 06:13 PM
bil

Yes,there should be a bead that slides into a track on the back of the seat support.This gets slid in first,then do the snaps. You don't have to remove it to put up the top,you can just let it sit in the space below the window, though most folks take it all the way off. ---bil PS the track should have a fuzzy in it,as i remember, to protect the bead.
Old August 27th, 2010, 10:18 AM

Hmm...I'm not familar with a metal strip behind the seat. Does anyone have a pic? Thanks for all the help guys/gals.
Old August 27th, 2010, 10:39 AM

I've never seen a fuzzy in the track, sounds like a good idea but its a bear to get that bead in there without the Fuzzy, Once my boot is on I leave it in the well when the top is up, just too much work to take it off and on.
Old August 27th, 2010, 11:54 AM
69CuttyS

This is exactly what mine looks like. I would also like to see the metal strip behind the seat. A photo would be a big help!
Cheers.
Old August 27th, 2010, 01:44 PM

here's a pic on the car behind the back seat and the other on the ground so you can see what it looks like. I have two because the body shop lost my first one only for me to find it when I made one of their guys take me to look for it.
Attached Images
IMG_0298.jpg (31.5 KB, 128 views)
boot holder.jpg (141.6 KB, 117 views)
Old August 29th, 2010, 03:26 PM
bil

Does the 70 use a velcro there? My 65 has a velcro strip in the track,crimped at the ends,and a velcro on the top boot.I will look for pics of the 70. ---bil
Old August 29th, 2010, 03:55 PM

Have never seen a 70 with velcro but that doesn't mean it didn't come with it
Old August 29th, 2010, 04:03 PM
...should get a life....

Whats a "Fuzzy"
Checked mine again and there's a bead on the boot but no metal retainer strip behind the seat. The seat has been recovered so I guess it didn't get reinstalled. Are those strips still available?
Steven...are you able to check the length of that strip for me please? If it's not over 42" I can get one posted down here.
The way the beaded strip is set up in the boot it would definitely be a pain in the butt to instal. I reckon I'd be leaving it installed and flip the boot into the well when the roof was up too.
Old August 29th, 2010, 09:04 PM

I can measure for you, I don't think its mush more than 30 - 36 inches but I'll check for sure
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:18 PM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by stevengerard
I can measure for you, I don't think its mush more than 30 - 36 inches but I'll check for sure
Thanks mate.
Old September 1st, 2010, 09:29 AM

Ok, so thanks to STEVENGERARD I have found the metal strip behind my seat!!! Now, could someone tell me what to do with it, lol, seriously! I'm a little slow at times, so step-by-step directions would really be benefical.

THANKS!!!
Old September 1st, 2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Southern_Hospitality
Ok, so thanks to STEVENGERARD I have found the metal strip behind my seat!!! Now, could someone tell me what to do with it, lol, seriously! I'm a little slow at times, so step-by-step directions would really be benefical.

THANKS!!!
This is how I do mine.

1. Find the "piping" sewn into the front of the boot.

2. Slide said piping into the metal strip you found behind the seat. Center the boot

3. Pull boot over the collapsed top and center it. While pulling the boot tight tuck the plastic strips under the chrome molding. (I use a plastic trim tool to open up the gap between the molding and the body because it's a pretty tight fit)

4. Work the boot on all the way around.

5. Snap it down at the piston covers.

If I put the top up and am not expecting any rear seat passengers I will leave the boot in the strip behind the seat. It's a PITA to take it in and out.

Hope this helps
Old September 1st, 2010, 10:52 AM

Thanks WE JEEP INN, I understand all steps with the exception of Number 2. Do I have to take off metal strip to slide into piping?
Old September 1st, 2010, 10:55 AM
bil

No,it should just slide in.Just fold the part of the cover that goes over the pistons out of the way (up),then slide and center. ---bil
Old September 1st, 2010, 12:35 PM

Am I sliding the "piping" into the metal strip OR am I sliding the metal strip into the "looped" portion of the boot cover?
Old September 1st, 2010, 12:47 PM
"me somebody" site member

Pretty sure you slide the piping into the metal strip...I seem to recall doing that once by the way ln my old 65 Starfire vert, and the metal "shaved" the piping a bit. Be careful!
Old September 1st, 2010, 12:48 PM

The metal strip is attached to the car, slide the "piping" into the groove on the strip.

Maybe someone has a picture???? I'd take one but my car is nowhere near me.
Old September 1st, 2010, 12:53 PM
bil

Yes-picture-now I am getting confused also! ---bil
Old September 1st, 2010, 01:00 PM
"me somebody" site member

No pic, but the piping has a rolled edge which is slides into the channel in the metal strip. Its kinda like when you start to close a zipper..look for the end of the piping on one end of the boot cover and start it into the ebd of the metal channel on the corresponding side of the car. Diffence with the zipper is once you start "threading" the piping into the metal strip, you keep pushing /pulling it through.
Old September 1st, 2010, 01:03 PM

LOL, this is hilarious guys, lol. I think I know what you are talking about now, but a picture is worth a MILLION words. Or in my case 6 words (this is how you do it)!
Old September 1st, 2010, 01:14 PM

I'll take a photo and post it this afternoon and measure the metal part as well
Old September 1st, 2010, 03:54 PM

metal boot holder is 33 1/3 inch long or 84.7 cm for those down under (or above)
Old September 1st, 2010, 04:37 PM
bil

As I recall,you kind of have to work it along to keep it from bunching up and to get it centered.The old style velcro kind was easier to do,but as the fuzzys wore out,the wind would get under and 'balloon' the damn thing. There may be a market for instructional videos for these! ---bil
Old September 1st, 2010, 05:22 PM

here are some pics of the bead that goes into the holder
Attached Images
convertible boot.jpg (52.0 KB, 99 views)
convertible boot in clip.jpg (37.9 KB, 97 views)
Old September 1st, 2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Col Wickham
The way the beaded strip is set up in the boot it would definitely be a pain in the butt to instal. I reckon I'd be leaving it installed and flip the boot into the well when the roof was up too.
That is exactly what I do - flip the boot into the cloth well behind the back seat when the top is up. The boot can't be seen when inside the car and it's quick to re-engage with the trim when you want to cruise alfresco. Just remember to flip it to the front of the back seat before putting the top down
Old September 2nd, 2010, 12:18 AM
...should get a life....

Steven thanks for that measurement. Now I've just gotta find one.
My boot is a little different from the one in the pic. Mine has a definite second flap under the front edge of the boot and this flap has the piping sewn in. It would do the same thing but allow more of the boot to cover the top of the rear seat if that makes sense.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 05:54 AM

well, I have an extra one, let me look at what the shop charged me for it as they "thought" I was missing it when in fact they didn't know it was sitting up stairs in their body shop on a rack attached to the boot

Originally Posted by Col Wickham
Steven thanks for that measurement. Now I've just gotta find one.
My boot is a little different from the one in the pic. Mine has a definite second flap under the front edge of the boot and this flap has the piping sewn in. It would do the same thing but allow more of the boot to cover the top of the rear seat if that makes sense.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 05:56 AM

WOW you guys are great! Its amazing to see how far you guys will go to help out a fellow Olds Owner. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Top Boot Cover