General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

tax on collector cars we owe the goverment

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2011, 06:02 AM

tax on collector cars we owe the goverment

http://www.saac.com/files/newsletter...s-04-01-11.pdf

Has anyone else seen this one floating around its a bunch of bs.
Must be nice that everyone that owns a classic car is rich. No one told me i was rich should of retired long ago.
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:14 AM
2 '66 98's

What is the basis for such a tax?? As far as I know, people who own paintings, diamonds, etc do not have to pay any sort of Federal tax on the standing value.

This could actually turn out to be a good thing. If they want to tax "capital gains" that would also mean you could write off "capital losses". We would then have a chance to reclaim the loss after putting $20,000 into building /restoring a car and ending up with it being valued at $12,000.

Last edited by bigoldscruiser; April 1st, 2011 at 06:28 AM.
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:40 AM

It is April 1st you know. Could be that.
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:40 AM

I think you should check the date of the newsletter
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:44 AM
Cutlass Lover

Rocketraider posted this also. What a crock!! I wonder if we would write to him, if our names would go on a list somewhere, and then they'd know we have a classic car?? Not that they won't find out anyhow, but I sure don't want to help em any!
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Rocketraider posted this also. What a crock!! I wonder if we would write to him, if our names would go on a list somewhere, and then they'd know we have a classic car?? Not that they won't find out anyhow, but I sure don't want to help em any!
It's April first all day today Sandy.

If it was true I would narc you out anyway.
Old April 1st, 2011, 07:01 AM

I didn't comment on the post in "The Clubhouse" as I may have spoiled this April 1 joke ...sorry... and didn't want to spoil the fun over there.
Old April 1st, 2011, 07:05 AM

I admit, as a resident of NY, the first thing I did was go to Schumer's
website so I could give him a piece of my mind. When I didn't find any mention of this on there I started putting 2+2 together
Old April 1st, 2011, 07:08 AM
Cutlass Lover

......If it was true I would narc you out anyway.

Well....... aren't you just a ****!!!!! yes, I said it.
Old April 1st, 2011, 07:20 AM
car guy

So it is a April Fools joke? Its not dated today
Old April 1st, 2011, 07:23 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by gearheads78
So it is a April Fools joke? Its not dated today
It's not an actual link to an actual NYT article - it's a graphic .pdf document in a club newsletter, which is dated 4/1 .

Hint.

- Eric
Old April 1st, 2011, 07:30 AM
Banned

it's actually a good idea

classic cars are rich peoples' washing machines for undeclared untaxed income.
Old April 1st, 2011, 07:41 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... and normal people's toilet bowls for declared, taxed income.

FLUSH !

- Eric
Old April 1st, 2011, 07:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
......If it was true I would narc you out anyway.

Well....... aren't you just a ****!!!!! yes, I said it.
No I wouldn't then.

Speaking of April fools....
Ignore him and the clinical negative attention seeker will will just go away for good this time.
Old April 1st, 2011, 08:11 AM
Cutlass Lover

I'm good at ignoring, lol. I thought he was gone.........
Old April 1st, 2011, 08:58 AM

just in case....this aint a hoax... LOL

saw this maybe it helps

The sale of classic and collector-cars can be very costly for investors if not structured properly. However, by using a personal property exchange, the sale can be treated as an "exchange" that is Not Taxable!
I have performed many of these 1031-exchanges for investors, on many different types of cars.
In order to defer all of the gain, your replacement-car typically should be equal or greater in value than your old relinquished-car, and all of your equity (or proceeds) from the sale of your old relinquished-car should be reinvested into your new replacement-car.
The key factor is that both the car that is given up and the new car that is received, must both be held for a "qualified purpose".
What does this mean?
Well, a "qualified purpose" means that you are holding the car either as an investment or for use in your trade or business.
1031 Tip: This does NOT mean that you can do a 1031 exchange on your "family car", because this "family car" would be considered to be held primarily for personal use.
The maximum capital gains rates for collectibles is 28% (as oppose to a mere 15% which is currently the ordinary maximum capital gains rate).
This means that the tax savings for collectors is nearly twice as advantages than with other types of property.
There are very few people who know how to properly structure a 1031 collector-car exchange.
To avoid making a costly mistake, before you sell, you should make the proper-arrangements with an experienced qualified intermediary FIRST so that the transaction is treated as a "trade" or "exchange" (rather than a sale and repurchase) to be sure that you qualify for maximum tax-savings.
Old April 1st, 2011, 09:14 AM
Banned

no surprise there.

just another typical tax evasion tactic rich folks use.
Old April 1st, 2011, 10:36 AM

Just like up in Canada here, they wanted to bring in a Carbon Tax. Good thing that ***-gobbler never got in
Old April 1st, 2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Kyle's 77 Cutlass
Just like up in Canada here, they wanted to bring in a Carbon Tax. Good thing that ***-gobbler never got in
But the idiot did.
Old April 1st, 2011, 11:44 AM

So how many people here just got sucked in without doing 1 ounce of research ?? LOL

This is why the US News media can say whatever it wants and people just buy into it and panic.

Old April 1st, 2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by 442much
But the idiot did.
No,Stéphane Dion from the libs was trying to bring that in.
Old April 1st, 2011, 01:23 PM

Yes the media is a bunch of BS. 95% of the time it is always bad news, never really hear of what good people do
Old April 1st, 2011, 01:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by aceshigh
so how many people here just got sucked in without doing 1 ounce of research ?? Lol

this is why the us news media can say whatever it wants and people just buy into it and panic.
x2
Old April 1st, 2011, 01:56 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Did you hear how the Border Patrol caught some Arab guys sneaking dirty-looking dogs into the US over the Canadian border? They always examine everything, so they x-rayed the dogs, and they found cellphone-activated explosives in pouches surgically implanted in the dogs. There was enough Semtex in each dog to blow up a house. They'd been finding areas of the border with dog crap along them for the past few months, so they put two and two together, and realized that there could be thousands of stray dogs wandering all over the US, which can be detonated individually or even all at once.

A word of warning - don't take in any stray dogs, or even adopt any at the pound, unless you get them x-rayed first.

The ASPCA will deny any of this, but people who work there will admit they have begun x-raying dogs!
Old April 1st, 2011, 03:40 PM

I took it off the corvette forum this morning figured be fun to work some folks up over here to. Happy April fools day
Old April 1st, 2011, 05:02 PM

No,Stéphane Dion from the libs was trying to bring that in.
Yes, but he didn't get in (thank goodness), the idiot did. I thought you'd know I meant Harper...maybe I should have said dictator...
Old April 1st, 2011, 05:27 PM

No joke, The idea of taxing collectables has often been kicked around, legalized theft. If they have tried taking our cars away in the name of the environment what is to stop the vile despicable pigs from taxing them as collectables.
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:20 PM

I'm surprised Obama hasn't thought of it yet.
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by 442much
Yes, but he didn't get in (thank goodness), the idiot did. I thought you'd know I meant Harper...maybe I should have said dictator...
Hey I thought you would liked him, He is from Alberta
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Destructor
No joke, The idea of taxing collectables has often been kicked around, legalized theft. If they have tried taking our cars away in the name of the environment what is to stop the vile despicable pigs from taxing them as collectables.
Ha theft, try this one. Now this is stupid, here in Manitoba if some one steals your car, gets into an accident and is hurt in any way,autopac pays that SOB for any injuries he get's from the accident.So mean while a person under a DUI gets hurt, he gets nothing
Old April 1st, 2011, 09:15 PM

so is this April fools or not? Date of the paper is March 28th, 2011, not april first.

Leave it to NY to hire some demorat senator to conjure up an idiotic idea as this. and yes, they've tried to crush our classics, anything older then 25 years, before so why wouldn't they try to get into our pocketbooks with this crap?

How about going after GE for not paying a DIME into taxes this year? Nothing, zip, zilch! It was calculated that if GE paid in the 18% everyone else pays they would have paid in $2.8B in taxes of the 14B they made last year.

I say we tax all the "haves" that can afford a NEW car every three years. If you are in a lease or just trade your car in when it needs tires, you should be taxed like tobacco users! Just my $0.02.
Old April 1st, 2011, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by ToBiN!
so is this April fools or no
Uh....yeah.

I have an email I want to forward to you.
The world is ending if you don't forward it to 23 people and then cluck
like a chicken 3x while writing these digits down in order 8,6,7,5,3,0,9.

Otherwise Obama is banning your gun rights.

Okay, now seriously.....for the older guys not too savvy with the internet yet.
First rule of fact checking, Google the main phrase of the email or topic.
Typically if it's true you will see it on MAIN US MEDIA websites.
Not wingnut websites. Google this topic and you'll see it's not ANYWHERE
except on the newsletters main site as the 1st search result. That's your 1st clue.

2nd rule of fact checking, www.snopes.com to verify an emails authenticity.
Here's a clue 99.9% of the emails you're sent are written by some jackass
wanting to jerk your chain. They work, because 80% of the recipients
forward them blindly.

Last edited by Aceshigh; April 1st, 2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old April 1st, 2011, 11:35 PM
Oldsdruid

Yeah, I got suckered in, along with about half the AACA, because I didn't bother reading the other BS on the page.

I'm antsy about any suggestion of taxation like this because of experience here in Virginia with a state legislator who thinks it is his mission to jack with the antique car laws- in the name of safety of course, but you pull the financial projections out of these bills he sponsors and you will see that they're nothing but a disguised money grab. The last time he monkeyed with the old car statutes, the estimated take was $8 million. At least the Democrats will call a tax a tax- he's a Republican who likes to call revenue schemes "fees".

What gripes me the most is he calls himself a car guy, simply because he races Porsches at VIR.

If this was the Shelby Club's idea of an April Fool joke, not funny and not appreciated. They're having a big meet at VIR next month, and those schitheads need to realise the above-mentioned Virginia legislator represents the House district VIR is in.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by cwracer
i'm surprised obama hasn't thought of it yet.
lol!
Old April 2nd, 2011, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Yeah, I got suckered in, along with about half the AACA, because I didn't bother reading the other BS on the page.

I'm antsy about any suggestion of taxation like this because of experience here in Virginia with a state legislator who thinks it is his mission to jack with the antique car laws- in the name of safety of course, but you pull the financial projections out of these bills he sponsors and you will see that they're nothing but a disguised money grab. The last time he monkeyed with the old car statutes, the estimated take was $8 million. At least the Democrats will call a tax a tax- he's a Republican who likes to call revenue schemes "fees".

What gripes me the most is he calls himself a car guy, simply because he races Porsches at VIR.

If this was the Shelby Club's idea of an April Fool joke, not funny and not appreciated. They're having a big meet at VIR next month, and those schitheads need to realise the above-mentioned Virginia legislator represents the House district VIR is in.
Well, more and more I am seeing more"antquie" cars on the road.
These"antquie" cars of 1980s vintage, are being used for daliy drivers.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 02:34 AM

Sp

Advantageous...

Last edited by Yellowstatue; April 2nd, 2011 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Small part of alphabet on floor...
Old April 2nd, 2011, 08:35 AM

Arrow Harper!!!

Hey I thought you would liked him, He is from Alberta

Harper is actually from Toronto On. and then moved out West to join up with the REEEEEFORM Party with Preston Manning.
Old April 5th, 2011, 12:34 PM

I checked a lot of places on the net like snopes to prove it wrong. I can't find anything that say's it's false. I wouldn't just shrug it off.
Old April 5th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by KQQLCAT
I checked a lot of places on the net like snopes to prove it wrong. I can't find anything that say's it's false. I wouldn't just shrug it off.
Oh, I would:

Originally Posted by SEMA
SEMA Action Network Members:

Some of you may have received notice of an alleged New York Times article indicating that legislation was being drafted in the U.S. Congress to create a federal tax on collector cars. Hopefully, most of you know by now that the article was an April Fools Day prank. The author has indicated his regrets for any confusion or embarrassment to automobile collectors and enthusiasts caused by the prank. Below, we have included the full text of his letter revealing the hoax.

Please contact me if I can be of additional assistance.

Steve McDonald
Vice President, Government Affairs
Specialty Equipment Market Association

SENATOR SCHUMER “TAXING CLASSIC CARS” NEW YORK TIMES ARTICLE REVEALED AS ONLY AN APRIL FOOL’S PRANK

The Shelby American Automobile Club’s annual April Fool’s gag reached a much wider audience that anyone could have predicted. Initially a four-page newsletter was emailed to every member. It contained stories about a perpetual motion ’68 Shelby, a ’69 GT350 that supposedly got 40 miles per gallon and a bogus front page recreation of the New York Times, dated March 28th, that had two stories. One was a hoax about purported tax legislation being prepared by Sen. Charles Schumer, which would tax every collector car, antique, hot rod and race car in the country. This was, of course, concocted out of thin air. But it was, on the surface, believable and it hit numerous hot buttons of car owners.

As soon as some SAAC members read this they immediately went into full “Paul Revere mode,” posting the article on a wide variety of Internet car forums. Once on those forums, readers swarmed like angry killer bees, both posting angry comments about the unfairness of the concept and spreading parts and pieces of the original article in emails and postings. It was the classic definition of something “going viral.”

When readers on some forums recognized the whole thing as an April Fool’s joke and posted this, other readers seemed to look right past the warnings. We now know how Orson Wells must have felt after his 1938 “War of the Worlds” radio broadcast resulted in traffic jams as panicked people tried to flee New Jersey.

While we enjoy a good April Fool’s prank as much as anyone, we never envisioned that this one could spread so quickly or so widely beyond the Shelby American Automobile Club. We deeply regret if taking this story seriously has caused anyone any undue distress or embarrassment. To keep more of that from happening we would greatly appreciate it if you could forward this message to as many car enthusiasts as possible. If they forward it to others who can forward it to even more people, maybe this second message will catch up with and overpower the first one.

And finally, please do not contact Senator Schumer’s office. He already has his hands full with real issues of importance.

Best regards,

Rick Kopec
Shelby American Automobile Club
This message was intended for: joe_padavano@rocketmail.com
You were added to the system June 30, 2007. For more information
click here.
Update your preferences | Unsubscribe
Old April 5th, 2011, 12:55 PM
"me somebody" site member

There's a similar thread to this one on ROP; I think you guys should stop before it gets as bad as that one.

Ever re-read something you wrote on the internet that you were embarrassed about? Apparently the answer is "no" for a lot of people.

Quick Reply: tax on collector cars we owe the goverment