General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Stainless trim restoration

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2011, 10:44 AM

Stainless trim restoration

Does anyone have good experiences with a quality restorter of stainless trim parts. I don't mind doing most of it myself. Mainly the flatter pieces that just need scratch removal and buffing. It's the dented stuff that I'm afraid of doing more damage and may need more expertise. My main concern is the wheel well trim. Not easy to restore (IMO) due to its flex and curves. One of my pieces has a couple of good whacks in it right in the curved portion.

I am aware of Billions & Trillions, but don't want to go there! I have had a good experience with Ogden and rechroming my bumpers but was not sure about their stainless restoration ($20 a foot).

I know "The parts place" has OEM with core exchange at pretty hefty prices and wonder despite their poor reputation on service, if anyone has gone that route? Just looking for others experiences...

Oh, and I am not interested in that repop crap that they sell. I've been in "Gold Eagle" and have seen the Chevelle stuff, so I'm sure the Olds trim is made from the same foreign entity.
Old June 5th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Randy C.

I used "Dave the Polisher" of Alloy Polishing Company, 809 N. Tower Avenue, Centralia WA 98531. He wasn't cheap but he sure did a great job of taking out the zingers in my passenger quarter stainless trim. Please be careful in your polishing. Some of the stainless during those years was flash-chromed. One of the things I did was polish a short section of flash chroming off of that quarter piece (very noticeable) before I knew it had been flash-chromed. I had to have the flash chroming removed, and then Dave took out the zingers and polished the piece for a mere $103.58 (but that includes tax!), and then I had to have it flash-chromed again so it would match the other pieces.

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds68442rear.jpg (45.5 KB, 9 views)