General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Shocks for 64 Dynamic 88

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2010, 08:53 AM

Shocks for 64 Dynamic 88

I had written this in another forum so if you have read it before my apologies.
I would like to install coil over shocks on the rear of my 88 and standard good quality shocks on the front. I have a little sag in the rear and the front shocks are due for replacement. Springs in the front are @ 5years old and the rear @15 years. I know this due to the previous owners keeping very detailed repair records. I am only the second owner.
The rear end is sitting 2 inches below recommended specs. I don't race the ole gal but I do like to take long drives on winding roads in Minn.
Question is...are the coil over shocks worth the investment? I have other repairs planned and I don't have a budget for a new set of coil springs.
George
Old December 18th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by navvet
I had written this in another forum so if you have read it before my apologies.
I would like to install coil over shocks on the rear of my 88 and standard good quality shocks on the front. I have a little sag in the rear and the front shocks are due for replacement. Springs in the front are @ 5years old and the rear @15 years. I know this due to the previous owners keeping very detailed repair records. I am only the second owner.
The rear end is sitting 2 inches below recommended specs. I don't race the ole gal but I do like to take long drives on winding roads in Minn.
Question is...are the coil over shocks worth the investment? I have other repairs planned and I don't have a budget for a new set of coil springs.
George
Aside from the fact that you'll be hard pressed to find coilover shocks for that car, I recommend against them primarily because the shock absorber attach points on the frame are not really designed to carry the weight of the car. Obviously new rear springs are the right choice and frankly they are pretty easy to install. The second best choice would be airbags that install inside the stock rear springs (AirLift is the brand name) as this at least keeps the load under the spring pockets, which are designed to carry it. Of course, you'll spend as much for the AirLift bags as you will for new coil springs.
Old December 18th, 2010, 11:30 AM

This is why I love this site!! I did not even think of the strain and weight on the shock attach points. It is clear that the coilover is not the right direction to go. I will have to save and when I do it I will do it right.
thanks again for your insight.
George
Old December 18th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by navvet
I did not even think of the strain and weight on the shock attach points.
Yeah, uh, don't ask me how I know this...