General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

seat belt buzzer & ignation buzzer &Ignation Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2010, 10:52 AM

seat belt buzzer & ignation buzzer &Ignation Cylinder

I have a 72 442 I have the dash apart trying to get the seat belt buzzer to work the guage seatbelt lite doesnt light up and buzzer doesnt sound .where do you start from

how does the ignation buzzer work and where is it located how do you test it to see if it works.

how do you replace the ignation cylinder in the steering column

Any info would be helpful
Old January 1st, 2010, 11:33 AM
Registered

On my '71 the buzzer is inside the horn relay. Mine doesn't have the seat belt deal.
You have to take the wheel off and the column partially apart to replace the ignition key switch.
The key buzzer switch is in there too if that's the problem.

I would check for disconnected wires first, lots of people did that with the key buzzer and seat belt deals.
If it has wobble-tilt it may be a good time to Loctite and tighten up those infamous loose bolts too.

These show where the stuff is and how to get to it.

http://www.buickperformance.com/tilt...lumnwobble.htm

http://www.superchevy.com/tech/sucp_...umn/index.html
Old January 1st, 2010, 01:04 PM

You might check under the seat too. I believe there are wires coming from the seatbelt latches. They might be unhooked.
Old January 1st, 2010, 01:06 PM

Now that I think about that, if they were unhooked the buzzer and light wouldn't go off when you latched the seatbelt. Chances are someone unhooked the buzzer itself under the dash. I know I've silenced a few ignition ones in my time. :-)
Old January 1st, 2010, 02:29 PM

on these 72 seat belt buzzers, the seat has a sensor that will sense when someone is sitting in it. you will find the sensor in the seat springs on the bottom. many people unhooked the wire under the seat because a couple thick books were enough weight to set them off. the one in the 72 cutlass i got from scott 442 was unhooked under the seat. i hooked it up and it works like new. the 72 W-30 i had did not work but found out that the sensor had fell out from between the springs. i put it back in and it also worked. i can not remember just how it goes in there but i think it just slips between the springs and the cushion.
Old January 1st, 2010, 05:17 PM

There is also an ignition buzzer through the door switch. It is the one that buzzes to alert you that the key is in the ignition when you're getting out of the car (door is open).
Old January 1st, 2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mingus
You might check under the seat too. I believe there are wires coming from the seatbelt latches. They might be unhooked.
In 72, the switches are in the retractors near the doors. Many people cut the wires going to them to defeat the system, as noone liked to wear belts then. The buzzer only sounded when the shifter was in 'drive".
Open the retractor boots and you can check the wiring and switches with an ohm meter if needed.

I got my system working again, so holler if I can help you more. That buzzer is an annoying thing though.

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; January 1st, 2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old January 10th, 2010, 09:27 PM

i GOT THE IGNATION BUZZER TO WORK BLUE VISTA WAS CORRECT ITS IN THE HORN RELAY.THE SEAT BELT STILL DOES NOT WORK THERE ARE NO WIRES GOING TO THE SEAT BELT AND NO SWITCH UNDER THE SEAT WEIRD BUT THE BUZZER IS IN THE DASH GOING TO HAVE TO FIGURE THIS ONE OUT.
Old January 11th, 2010, 07:16 AM

I can't remember which vehicle I had that the Seat Belt Lamp illuminated and the buzzer energized for a few seconds after the ignition was turned on then went off. it wasn't interfaced with the belts themselves.
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:02 AM

See if you can find traces of any of this seatbelt warning wiring - it is circled in green. Remove the sillplates and peek under the carpet by the retractors.
If your carpet was replaced before, it is possible someone hacked out all that wiring...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
seatbeltwiring-72cutlass.jpg (92.6 KB, 55 views)
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:11 PM

Ok finally got the carpet off I have one wire on the drivers side that looks like it goes to the seat belt retractor also another wire on the passengers side that goes to the retractor the passenger seat has a pressure switch and there is a yellow with a black trace running up the harness.Can anybody tell me where this wire goes to and wires then after the yellow with a black trace
Old January 26th, 2010, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by ELECMAN
Can anybody tell me where this wire goes to and wires then after the yellow with a black trace
The retractors have an internal switch that connects the the circuit to ground if the belt is NOT pulled out.
These retractor wires go to the gear shift switch (neutral safety and reverse light switch). When the shifter is in drive, the connection there is made and the buzzer (under the dash) sounds AND the fasten belt light activates if the belts are not fastened.
The positive side of the belt buzzer is connected with the reverse lamps circuit. Do those work?

Here is the 72 wiring diagram - the seat belt circuit is at the very top to the right.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...html#post65982

The ignition key buzzer is outside in the horn relay and the seat belt buzzer is high up in the center dash.
Old January 26th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Registered

So that's what I found when I was feeling around under "The Prettiest One's" seat?
Old January 26th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Cutlass Lover

Yep... musta been! The wire is still hanging there under the seat. I'm not going to do anything with it. The ignition buzzes - that's enough noise for me! LOL!
Old January 26th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Yep... musta been! The wire is still hanging there under the seat. I'm not going to do anything with it. The ignition buzzes - that's enough noise for me! LOL!
The 72's have lots of weird stuff, they were never meant to be so they had to squeeze things in to comply with the feds.
The '71's were supposed to be the end of that body but the strike and stuff threw things off.
The 72's are just 71's with just enough to make them look a little different.
Nothing but retrofitted hand-me-down 1971 red-headed stepchildmobiles in effect.

At least it kept the last good looking Cutlass alive for one more year, in fact... 1972 was the last good anything IMO.
Okay, the later Trans Am was cool, but only with the 455 poncho engine.
I'll never forgive them for the colonnade body style and 5mph bumpers.
Sorry if that bothers anybody, and my apology is totally insincere.

It does stop buzzing when you start the car Sandy, or does it?
This could explain a lot of things?....

I hear voices.
Redgoat does too.
Old January 26th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Cutlass Lover

....Nothing but retrofitted hand-me-down 1971 red-headed stepchildmobiles in effect.

sad face!!! I'll never tell her you said that.... and after you had your hand under her seat, too!!

...Sorry if that bothers anybody, and my apology is totally insincere.

Have I told you lately that - you're such a shi*?????

Yes it stops buzzing when I start the car, LOL! I think you and Redgoat need to go take your meds now!
Old January 26th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
....Nothing but retrofitted hand-me-down 1971 red-headed stepchildmobiles in effect.

sad face!!! I'll never tell her you said that.... and after you had your hand under her seat, too!!

...Sorry if that bothers anybody, and my apology is totally insincere.

Have I told you lately that - you're such a shi*?????

Yes it stops buzzing when I start the car, LOL! I think you and Redgoat need to go take your meds now!

He thought you may not approve, It was Redgoat getting uppity.
He's been on this Goatfather kick lately, even walks around talking like Marlon Brandgoat.
I like 72's much better than my '71 personally, like 70's even more, forget 69's.
The later ones grew on me too, they don't look half as ugly anymore.

The black fedora Don Redgoat picked up at Mike the Hatter downtown on Prospect is pretty stylish though.
Unlike Redgoat I have all my hair so I don't wear a hat to hide my bald head.
Old January 26th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Cutlass Lover

I'm gonna be openin a can of whoop *** on his Goatfather butt, he gets uppity with me! And I don't care if he does have his own wine...

And dorky lookin little car! LOL!!

Marlon Brandgoat???? You crack me up!!!!!