General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

power steering hoses restrictor

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2012, 07:09 PM

power steering hoses restrictor

I had a pinhole leak on the pressure side of my power steering hydraulic hose on my 55 so I had both hoses built at a local hydraulic tractor supply.When I picked them up the clerk said that the pressure side has a restrictor in it that they don't have but there shouldn't be any problems.Well has anyone run there power steering with out a restrictor and what purpose does it do anyway. Old's must have thought it necessary or they wouldn't have used it. Any thoughts.....Tedd
Old September 14th, 2012, 05:31 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Tedd - I don't know about the restrictor, but I know that for some reason, Fusick says "55 hoses are not available at this time" - wonder if that is the reason. I've always wondered what I would do if I needed to replace - I guess your tractor hydraulic place would work...

They gave you no insight as to the purpose of this?
Old September 14th, 2012, 08:13 AM

No Gordon, he said his boss ran this hose with no issues but it was on a late model Dodge pickup.

I should have asked more questions but I was a little shocked and put back when the hoses were handed to me and they were a dark blue not the traditional black color. That's what I get for using a tractor supply rather than a vintage car parts supplier.I painted them with a vinyl black paint last night, I'll see how that holds up with time......Tedd
Old September 14th, 2012, 05:57 PM

Well I installed the power steering hoses and I see no problems so far, took a while before all the air worked its way out other than that alls well.
I'm off tomorrow for a car show about 200 miles round trip this should be a good test, I expect no problems or I wouldn't go...Tedd