General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Porting, Did I go too big?

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2020, 06:14 PM

Porting, Did I go too big?

While working on the exhaust for cylinder #1, I've been trying to open up the valve seat area after tear dropping the guide. This is only my second set of heads that I've worked on before and the 1st set was 2gen SBC Lt1 aluminum heads. So these #7 iron oldsmobile heads are drastically different. I've been focusing on the bottom right hand radius just trying to enlarge that area a little and smooth it over. I am going with 1.624" exhaust and 1.99" intake valves (made by SRI I believe). I wasn't planning on trying to go all out on them, just smooth everything out and focus on the valve seats to utilize the bigger sized valves. I've been using the stock valve as a guide and trying to not take out a whole lot from the seat area. However, after I was happy with the "wall", I was trying to just bring everything "up" smoothly into the port. I figured that as long as I couldn't see any light around the valve when inserted then I probably wasn't do any harm since my machine shop has to cut the new seats anyways when they perform the 3-angle. The problem I ran into is, after my last cut, there is a small area that light shines around the valve with it pushed all the way down as far as it can go. It's not much, but looks can be deceiving. I didn't make the seat are bigger than the "face" of the old valves but light can shine out and around seat area.. I believe I should have about 0.030" of wiggle room since the stock valves are 0.062" smaller. I just am worried now and won't be able to take them to my machinist till halfway through next week on my first day off since it's Friday. And I'm nowhere near an expert at porting or head work. I'm just worried that my reasoning may be flawed somehow by something I didn't know and now I'll be paying to put a new seat into this port. Its gonna drive me crazy not knowing till middle of next week. Well thanks guys if any of you got this far..
Old November 20th, 2020, 06:57 PM

Pictures would help.
Old November 20th, 2020, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by dragline
Pictures would help.

The other shiny edge is the factory hardened seat. Heads are from a 71' engine I believe.