General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Polished it, laid it down, BAM! It's gone.

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2014, 09:34 AM

Polished it, laid it down, BAM! It's gone.

The LAST piece of trim to polish on my project, it was a normal day, a day like any other day. I was standing at the polishing wheel buffing the window column seal trim to a perfect show quality shine. Birds are singing in the yard outside my garage, it's a beautiful day in the Appalachian foothills below the Blueridge Parkway, not soo hot, the smell of fresh mowed grass in the air, I sit down the piece of trim, take off my gloves, pretty sure I take the trim piece and put it in the trunk of the car.......a common thing I do to keep everything together. I go upstairs to the house to tell my beautiful German bride I was going to see Steve at the paint and body shop I use to bum some goop to glue the bottom of the foam seal to the door jam. I go to Steve's open the trunk and that's when it all started coming together. I answer Steve while we stand there looking dumbfounded into the darkness of the 69 Cutlass trunk like it was the vastness of space, "no, I don't remember the last place I seen it Steve! If I did, I'd go pick it up and come back all smiles!" "I mean this is some straight up David Copperfield Sh@$!" That's when it hit me! I have a gift! So I go back to the house and pick up some random things to polish, I lay it down, turn around......look......and it's still there. This is useless stuff I don't need obviously so that may be the problem with replicating the magic trick I had done previously in the day. All I can say it the universe took it.
Old August 6th, 2014, 09:46 AM

Apparently we have the same gift. I can take something apart, put in in front of me turn around to grab a tool and when I look again it's gone. Usually it's something simple like a screw or nut and bolt. I have drawn enough magic power to make bigger pieces disappear though, i'm STILL looking for my front marker light. I've found starting a different project usually makes it reappear.
Old August 6th, 2014, 09:53 AM

Well that's great news Craig! Can't wait to tell the bride I have to get another project so I can find a 12" piece of window trim. Don't suppose you want to come over for that little get together do you? Did I mention she's German?
Old August 6th, 2014, 10:01 AM

Home security cameras. It's amazing how little you forget when it no longer matters.
Old August 6th, 2014, 10:10 AM

I just figure there is a black hole in my garage and it just sucks some things up. Sometimes they re-appear but always in a different location.
Old August 6th, 2014, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by '69CutlassVert'
Well that's great news Craig! Can't wait to tell the bride I have to get another project so I can find a 12" piece of window trim. Don't suppose you want to come over for that little get together do you? Did I mention she's German?
I'll let you deal with that one on your own brother, I have my own German girlfriend (Schmidt) that doesnt understand why I need my quality time in the garage. Good luck though!
Old August 6th, 2014, 10:43 AM
71 cutlass convertible

My garage has the same black hole or maybe its because it is messy. But even after I clean it I never find the missing part, unless I have just bought a replacement.

I realize I must have drove by your house in July as my wife and I drove the Blue Ridge Parkway for vacation.

My wife of 25 years is half Irish and half Italian. Is that better or worse than a full German or are we both in trouble.

Larry
Old August 6th, 2014, 10:45 AM

OK so far, the Prof wants me to become my own Big Brother, which what the heck, the NSA already knows more about me than I do..........Pat has set out to prove teleportation through garage quantum physics, and Craig basically is germanically challenged as well and will be of no further use on this matter...........mine is Knurfle with the two little dots over the u, and may God have mercy on your soul too brother ;0)
Old August 6th, 2014, 10:51 AM

Soooo what exactly is so "German" about your wives? And what's wrong with it? :-D
Old August 6th, 2014, 10:52 AM

Larry! Another black hole theorist! Bubba, next time you do the BRP when you get to Fancy Gap, VA gimme a call and I'll buy y'all a samich at the Gap Deli.
Old August 6th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Beer Connoisseur

We realized that in my house we have a friendly house ghost that likes to play games such as hide a part or hide a tool. We call him John. For the most part john is cool and he hides the parts where I can find them after a while, sometimes he can be a real ******* and I never find them. I also noticed John's favorite time to play is after I had a few beers.
Old August 6th, 2014, 10:59 AM

Dan! My wife grew up outside Munich in a little berg called Dachau. She still has a lot of family there. First off....... There's nothing wrong with being German. I just love giving her crap about it. Somehow they've gotten the reputation of being uniquely stern, demanding, scary as heck! Kinda like.......well.......my wife ;0)
Old August 6th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by 70cutty
We realized that in my house we have a friendly house ghost that likes to play games such as hide a part or hide a tool. We call him John. For the most part john is cool and he hides the parts where I can find them after a while, sometimes he can be a real ******* and I never find them. I also noticed John's favorite time to play is after I had a few beers.
His twin Brother is named Sabastian.
He lives at my house in Marble.
Old August 6th, 2014, 12:19 PM

Garage Ghost

Guys:
My garage ghost also likes to come out after a few beers or some Tim Smith Moonshine. I am starting to think he may have a small drinking problem, but I cannot seem to find him and confront him with it, but it is better to blame him than Captain Obvious.
Thanks Ron
Old August 6th, 2014, 12:29 PM

Could have been worse. You could have lost the rear 1/4 panel peak molding
Old August 6th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by allyolds68
Could have been worse. You could have lost the rear 1/4 panel peak molding
You for sure are in trouble if you do on a 68 convert.
Old August 6th, 2014, 01:00 PM

Man, this thread explains a lot..... I thought I had the only gremlin around. That little bastaad can ****** a nut or a bolt right out from under my nose. Took an entire DeWalt 18v cordless drill last year. Of course, I found it this year, damn he hid it well ..........
I'm afraid I can't post his full name, but it starts with Mother ..........
Old August 6th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Old School Olds

^^^^Ha ha ha! That's some funny **** right there!
And Ohh so true! Thanks for the afternoon giggle Randy.
Old August 6th, 2014, 03:33 PM
morgan

I would question your 'beautiful German bride' about the wherabouts of the moulding...the Germans have an interesting sense of humor
Old August 6th, 2014, 03:35 PM

So it's more likely supernatural or a little issue with the SHINE....... Got it.im calling Ghost Hunters and the Betty Ford Clinc
Old August 6th, 2014, 03:37 PM

Pogo69 I've had suspicions but I'm scared of her
Old August 6th, 2014, 03:45 PM
morgan

Pogo69 I've had suspicions but I'm scared of her
LoL
Old August 6th, 2014, 03:59 PM

I'm afraid I can't post his full name, but it starts with Mother .......... [/QUOTE]

Holy crap ,Randy I just peed my pants.
Old August 7th, 2014, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by RandyS
Took an entire DeWalt 18v cordless drill last year. Of course, I found it this year, damn he hid it well ..........
Where did he hide it? As far as I can tell there are no phantoms in my house, only people, who tend to be more insidious.

When I have tools missing I look in the most unlikely places because my other half has been guilty of putting things like screwdrivers in the house, in the bathroom, UNDER THE SINK! I once found a ratchet under there...no sockets, just a Craftsman 3/8" drive ratchet! I can only assume that it was used as a hammer...

It begs the question what does one do with a screwdriver or a ratchet in the bathroom, but on the other hand maybe it is best left un-asked because any answer would probably be disturbing. And people laugh when I lock my tool chest when I am not home....
Old August 7th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Hookers under Hood

The problem I'm having at dam near 48 yrs old is... I need my wife to hold onto my nuts when I start to take my bolt out, I have tried to hang onto my nuts till I get my bolt in but my nuts continue to hit the floor, Good thing the wife helps me out cuz its getting harder to bend over to pick them up off the floor. I should go back to working on models!!!
Old August 7th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Make sure she don't step on them once they hit the floor.
Old August 7th, 2014, 04:14 PM
KDV

Old August 7th, 2014, 04:43 PM

Shouldn't leave your junk lying around on the floor....
Old August 7th, 2014, 05:08 PM

That's an easy one. I've discovered over the years that if I blame somebody for stealing/hiding it, it magically shows up. Now you should test this theory by blaming your german wife. I find this actually works so well, the first thing I do when I'm looking for something is blame somebody, even before I start looking for it.
Old August 7th, 2014, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by KDV

I love this.....so true
Old August 7th, 2014, 05:31 PM
Hookers under Hood

Wink

Originally Posted by chrisneu68olds
Shouldn't leave your junk lying around on the floor....
Bahhahah.... Chrisuneu you shouldn't have worked on your junk in the bathroom, erect a man cave and always use a dollie before you open your drawers to get your tool out!! https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...s/rolleyes.gif

Last edited by 76olds; August 7th, 2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old August 7th, 2014, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by 76olds
The problem I'm having at dam near 48 yrs old is... I need my wife to hold onto my nuts when I start to take my bolt out, I have tried to hang onto my nuts till I get my bolt in but my nuts continue to hit the floor, Good thing the wife helps me out cuz its getting harder to bend over to pick them up off the floor. I should go back to working on models!!!
I once tried to put my bolt in a model and my wife handed me my nuts.
Old August 7th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by Sampson
I once tried to put my bolt in a model and my wife handed me my nuts.
Lmao... That would have been a scream!!!
Old August 7th, 2014, 10:24 PM
Hookers under Hood

No kidding I would be going nuts trying to find some at Pep Boys and my wife online searching for NOS nuts
Old August 8th, 2014, 11:16 PM

Dan! My wife grew up outside Munich in a little berg called Dachau. She still has a lot of family there. First off....... There's nothing wrong with being German. I just love giving her crap about it. Somehow they've gotten the reputation of being uniquely stern, demanding, scary as heck! Kinda like.......well.......my wife ;0)
:-D no worries, I'm only interested in stereotypes^^
So then your wife is actually Bavarian, you can consider yourself lucky ;-)
And I always thought the attributes you listed are applicable to every woman no matter what country she's coming from

You guys are too funny
Old August 9th, 2014, 05:59 AM

Angry

Originally Posted by RandyS
Man, this thread explains a lot..... I thought I had the only gremlin around. That little bastaad can ****** a nut or a bolt right out from under my nose. Took an entire DeWalt 18v cordless drill last year. Of course, I found it this year, damn he hid it well ..........
I'm afraid I can't post his full name, but it starts with Mother ..........
Yep I know his cousin and I can't post his full name also but starts with Stupid Mother ...... This guy has stolen my 442 hat because it is no where to be found. My wife and I both searched the whole house looking for it. Last seen on my head yesterday and I never left the house except when I grilled our dinner.
Old August 9th, 2014, 02:28 PM

Ok guys, thanks for all the advise. Here where we're at. I've got an appointment for my moonshine issue, boss found out and I lost my job, the Ghost Hunters won't come now that I'm unemployed and can't pay the fee. I blamed my wife for losing the trim, she caught me coming out of the shower and stomped my nut I was dragging across the bathroom floor and slammed my bolt tween the toilet and the lid. I met Randy's ghost, Mother......... Apparently if you say Mother................'s name three times you conjure the little sucker up. Now I have two of at the house and feel like a Stupid Mother.............. I see my urologist next week after the swelling goes down and have gone through about $200 worth of ice. Again, thanks guys