General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Passenger door stuck closed

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2022, 08:10 AM

Passenger door stuck closed

1972 Olds Cutlass, passenger door stuck closed. Outside button pushes all the way in so its locked? Inside:there is No lock button in top of door near window. Also interior door handle pulls up, but won't open door. Will slim jim still work even though the unlock rod/pull-up **** is missing? Thanks to all.
Old July 7th, 2022, 08:55 AM

By 72, the inside handle no longer opens the door if it is locked. A slim jim is used to catch the arm that is controlled by the exterior lock cylinder so yes, if you know how to use one it will unlock the door.
Old July 8th, 2022, 11:44 AM

I have been trying to hook something near the lock and can't seem to find it remember I do not have the rod and lock **** on top of the door inside of the car present it is out of the car see pic of where I am trying to do this thanks to all you burglars for the help🤣
Old July 8th, 2022, 12:24 PM

You need to get down past the door handle and to the area around the key. The inside lock **** has nothing to do with it. That said, there is an art to using a slim jim. I have not had much luck in the past, but my dad and grandfather could do it in a minute (my grandfather had a used car lot and on occasion had to repossess cars from upaying customers). In the image below, the little lever circled in blue is the part that inserts into the paw in the lock cylinder. I think you actually need to push that lever down to unlock or you can try to catch the lever toward the inside with the large hole and pull it up. This is where the inner lock **** attaches.

On your 72, there is a bellcrank that transfers the movement from the **** rod to the latch (see image below). If the bellcrank is in place and you are just missing the **** rod, you may be able to use a long pick with a bent tip to pull the bellcrank up through the inside **** hole in the door pad. How nice are the door panels? If all else fails you can cut a big hole in the door panel from the inside and just reach inside the door to unlock it. Have you called a lock smith to just come out and unlock the door using the key cylinder? Or, if you remove the lock cylinder from the drivers door, any lock smith should be able to cut you a key for it. I assume you do not have keys otherwise, you do know that the doors and ignition switch use the same key correct?

Last edited by Loaded68W34; July 8th, 2022 at 04:39 PM.
Old July 8th, 2022, 12:31 PM

Wow thank you for all this information I don't think my ignition key is the same as the door key I do have an ignition key but it is not a GM key it's a copy and I put it in the lock cylinder on the passenger door and it does not turn and I don't want to force it because this is the only key I have. I did get the trunk open and ordered a lock cylinder set for the trunk and the doors. I will look at your diagrams and try to get the slim jim to work thanks again for the quick reply as I am on this car now
Old July 8th, 2022, 04:36 PM

Sounds like someone might have put an ignition cylinder in it. Hopefully you get it open without too much trouble. Originally the ignition and doors would have been one key (rectangle head) and the trunk would have been another (oval head)