General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Parts Place Rally Pack

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2014, 12:46 PM

Parts Place Rally Pack

I have read prior threads discussing their reproduction rally pack, which I understand is their own product. Before I pull the plug to order a set, I just wanted to get a consensus from those who purchased them as to how happy they are with their purchase. I basically want to to know is there any reason not to buy this unit? The only issue I have read about is the lighting. Are the gauges accurate and reliable and are they of a newer design than the originals? Other than to say you have original gauges, what are the advantages of the originals?
Also concerning Parts Place, I have noticed their prices are quite a bit lower than Fusicks, and I am betting a lot of the items they sell are sourced from Fusicks, ie., 442 emblems, vinyl top moldings, cowls moldings etc. Am I correct on this? Thanks for any input. It is often hard to cross shop some of these suppliers, as you can't know if your comparing apples to apples.
Old July 15th, 2014, 06:44 PM

Aside from the lighting issues, which I have documented the fix for, they are not too bad. Mine are 5 years old and still okay. The clock is a modern quartz one so it is accurate but ticks unlike the old one that slowly spun.
Be sure to pay with a credit card in case you do receive a dud set and they give you the typical poor customer service - you can dispute the charge if all else fails.
Old July 16th, 2014, 08:01 AM

"their prices are quite a bit lower than Fusicks".

After fitment issues and metal thickness issues with their parts, you get what you pay for.
Old July 16th, 2014, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rocketbrian
I have read prior threads discussing their reproduction rally pack, which I understand is their own product. Before I pull the plug to order a set, I just wanted to get a consensus from those who purchased them as to how happy they are with their purchase. I basically want to to know is there any reason not to buy this unit? The only issue I have read about is the lighting. Are the gauges accurate and reliable and are they of a newer design than the originals? Other than to say you have original gauges, what are the advantages of the originals?
Also concerning Parts Place, I have noticed their prices are quite a bit lower than Fusicks, and I am betting a lot of the items they sell are sourced from Fusicks, ie., 442 emblems, vinyl top moldings, cowls moldings etc. Am I correct on this? Thanks for any input. It is often hard to cross shop some of these suppliers, as you can't know if your comparing apples to apples.
bought mine from Fusicks which was 6 years ago and still works great. The lighting on them is not as bright as originals.
Yes Parts Place gets a lot from Fusicks
Old July 16th, 2014, 04:52 PM

Got mine from TPP and updated the lighting with info from Rob's excellent thread on the subject. I am very happy with mine. I do question the techs accuracy. Mine seems to be approx two hundred RPM higher than the tach on my tach dwell.
Old July 16th, 2014, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by dnmfranco
Yes Parts Place gets a lot from Fusicks
And vice versa too.
The hood lock set I got from Fusick had "the parts place" stamped in two areas. That explained why I had to modify it to fit....
Old July 16th, 2014, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
And vice versa too.
The hood lock set I got from Fusick had "the parts place" stamped in two areas. That explained why I had to modify it to fit....

yes correct should have mentioned that as well. I too have had some issues w PP" parts where overall good luck w Fusicks
Old July 16th, 2014, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
And vice versa too.
Rob,
I hate to hijack the OP's thread but am curious about the hood lock modification.
Mine came from TPP and the brackets were not even close! Was that the same issue with yours?
Old July 17th, 2014, 06:06 AM

I would suggest anyone but The Parts Place, or Billions and Millions or Brothers to buy from. All three of those are not good customer service people to deal with. Even using a credit card they get you on restocking and shipping costs when their items fail to meet the grade.

I try to use OPGI or Fusick or Supercars unlimited as much as possible when I have to buy from any of them. All three have been great to deal with.
Old July 17th, 2014, 06:51 AM

Thanks for the feedback. It appears the only items to buy from the Parts Place are Fusick sourced items, like moldings, and their own Rally Pack, unless someone could provide a better alternate source. Would it be better to buy the gauges through Ebay and Paypal to have better recourse if problems arise?
Old July 17th, 2014, 08:14 AM

x2 on OPGI.
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Smash

Never had a whole lot of luck with PP and I always thought there prices were high. I once ordered a battery tray from them off EBay after two weeks and half a dozen phone calls I was written to thru EBay that the part was out of stock. No call to me no sorry we forgot all about you , no refund nothing. Took another 2 weeks to get money back I even used Paypal.
So bump to look elsewhere
Old July 17th, 2014, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sampson
Rob,
I hate to hijack the OP's thread but am curious about the hood lock modification.
Mine came from TPP and the brackets were not even close! Was that the same issue with yours?
I had to egg-out the mounting holes or something in the main bracket at the latch so hood would actually close. Been long ago so do not remember clearly.

Sorry about the hijack, Brian!
Old September 22nd, 2014, 04:21 PM
Big Kid with the Cutlass

Hi Rob,
i just has the Parts Place Rally pac added to my 72 442 and notice the illumination on one fo them is really low. Can you forward me the link to the "quick fix" you wrote about?
- Chris
Old September 22nd, 2014, 04:30 PM

Nothing positive to say about parts place, not sure they understand bad news travels faster than good.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jersey Chris
Hi Rob,
i just has the Parts Place Rally pac added to my 72 442 and notice the illumination on one fo them is really low. Can you forward me the link to the "quick fix" you wrote about?
- Chris
Link is in my signature below - under 'rally pac stuff'.
It is not quick, but it makes a lasting improvement worth the time.
Hope it helps!
Old September 22nd, 2014, 05:42 PM

Rally Pac stuff wow just checked that out that's great info
Old September 22nd, 2014, 08:36 PM

I have the TPP gauge pod on my car, I've had it since they first came out many years ago, and no probs. My tach pod was good, the clock was converted before TPP came out with their set up, so I never changed my tach pod. I did upgrade the gauge pod bulbs, but never opened it up to paint the ring. The one thing I don't like...you can see it in Rob's pics... the Gen + Brake light don't black out like the original did. They don't glow bright, but some light is definitely coming through them. I'm sure I can fix it, but I hate going in to the dash + removing it to do it!
Old September 30th, 2014, 06:41 PM

I have bought the Parts Place Rally Pack and have reorganized the wires for the gauge side OK, but what is the purpose of removing a green wire from the steering column? I can't tell too clearly from their picture exactly which wire they are talking about. I found a clear connector with several wires and a thick green one. Is this possibly the wire they are referring to? Appreciate any helpful responses.
Old October 1st, 2014, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketbrian
I have bought the Parts Place Rally Pack and have reorganized the wires for the gauge side OK, but what is the purpose of removing a green wire from the steering column? I can't tell too clearly from their picture exactly which wire they are talking about. I found a clear connector with several wires and a thick green one. Is this possibly the wire they are referring to? Appreciate any helpful responses.
Removing that dark green wire from the ignition switch is optional. Removing it prevents the the temp gauge being pegged when the key is turned to START. It was a momentary ground that allowed the driver to check the idiot light bulb.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 05:49 AM

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if it was something you had to do with their particular tach, but not the case. I installed the GM rally pac in my SX years ago and never removed that wire. However, checking it yesterday, I see where it does peg when I start the car. It's optional then. Thanks again.