General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

OLDSMOBILE chrome letters for trunk

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2010, 06:46 PM

OLDSMOBILE chrome letters for trunk

I bought my 1972 Cutlass Supreme last year from a gentlemen that put a new trunk on the car but it doesn't have the OLDSMOBILE letters across the back. This is something that stands out to me on alot of the others that I see and I def. want it on mine! Anyone know where I can find those chrome letters to put on my trunk? I've searched but maybe I'm searching the wrong places?
Old November 29th, 2010, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by BigTrav
Anyone know where I can find those chrome letters to put on my trunk? I've searched but maybe I'm searching the wrong places?
Fusick has just what you need. $48 for a set of them, brand new. Check out the bottom of page 6 in their Cutlass catalog (catalog 44C).

http://www.fusick.com/catfile/Catalo...yout%20100.pdf
Old November 29th, 2010, 07:15 PM

Exactly what I needed, thanks alot!!!!!
Old November 29th, 2010, 07:52 PM
One of None W-31

Big Trav,
When I installed mine 10 years back it was not an easy thing as I thought it would be. Aftermarket crap never is agreeable. If you have to drill slightly bigger holes (as I did with some) just do not make the hole too big. Better to go slow and work your way up little by little. I thought they would just pop right in...no such luck.
Old November 30th, 2010, 06:47 AM

I'll def make sure I don't do that...as far as I know the trunk doesn't even have the holes right now?? Atleast on the outside anyway...hopefully he just put body filler over them...I'll have to check the inside of it when I get home...
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by 71 Cutlass
Big Trav,
When I installed mine 10 years back it was not an easy thing as I thought it would be. Aftermarket crap never is agreeable. If you have to drill slightly bigger holes (as I did with some) just do not make the hole too big. Better to go slow and work your way up little by little. I thought they would just pop right in...no such luck.
I started to post about the same thing yesterday until he said a new lid was installed, so I went under the assumption that it did not have the holes at all and deleted my post. The mounting studs on the reproductions are not in the same places as the originals. You can see this area easily by opening the trunk and shining a light into the holes on the rear of the decklid inner structure. If you do not have the holes at all, I think I recall that The Parts Place had been selling a template for proper placement of the lettering holes.

I may have a nice original set of letters from a desert car - not perfect, but very nice used. I'll have to dig thru my bins in the garage...

Terry

Last edited by vette442; November 30th, 2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by vette442
The mounting studs on the reproductions are not in the same places as the originals.
And why not? I would sure like to know their reasoning behind that.
I was wanting to get new ones for mine but i am glad I read this first. I am not drilling and filling and painting and cussing and................
Dang repro stuff...
Old November 30th, 2010, 09:11 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
And why not? I would sure like to know their reasoning behind that.
I was wanting to get new ones for mine but i am glad I read this first. I am not drilling and filling and painting and cussing and................
Dang repro stuff...

X2 I was going to get a set because mine are pitted. Now they look better than I thought.
Larry
Old November 30th, 2010, 05:01 PM

Hi,I bought one a few years ago from Fusick or year one and didn't use it. Probably never will.Pm me and if your interested I'll send pics.Think I paid $32.50 I'll take $25.
railguy