General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Olds Nationals 2022

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2021, 04:33 AM

Olds Nationals 2022

Better to plan WAY ahead. Not making it to Nats in 2021. I haven't seen yet where it will be in '22. Anyone know??
Old August 1st, 2021, 09:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Greg, it's still being worked. OCA had to scramble to pull off the 2021 Nationals. Expect something official to be announced this week and Nationals.
Old August 1st, 2021, 10:06 AM
Lansing built

I heard something from a long term prominent OCA member that it's in the same state again. Rumor has it!

Pat
Old August 1st, 2021, 10:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1970cs
I heard something from a long term prominent OCA member that it's in the same state again. Rumor has it!

Pat
Pat,

You're not wrong, but nothing is official yet.
Old August 1st, 2021, 07:26 PM

Anyone know when the swap meet is open to the public?
Old August 1st, 2021, 07:44 PM

Swap meet starts on Tuesday.

Don W
Old August 1st, 2021, 10:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

And it pretty much runs all day, every day. Keep in mind that some swap meet vendors may be closed from time-to-time if they are also attending some of the tours, and Friday many people will be with their car as it's judged.
Old August 2nd, 2021, 07:17 AM

I get there on Wednesday so I’ll walk the swap meet each day. Thanks. This is my first Nationals, so brand new to this. I was hoping there would be some seminars to sit in on or panels of guests to listen to. Do they do those kind of things? -Billy
Old August 2nd, 2021, 08:21 AM

Make them closer to the Smoky Mountain National park.... I am a little biased on that, lol. We go there as often as we have an excuse to go.
Old August 2nd, 2021, 10:56 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Billyaxe
I get there on Wednesday so I’ll walk the swap meet each day. Thanks. This is my first Nationals, so brand new to this. I was hoping there would be some seminars to sit in on or panels of guests to listen to. Do they do those kind of things? -Billy
Never seen those happen though I have long thought it's a great idea. 'Course I had a lot of ideas as a Zone director 20-plus years ago that got shot down because they stepped on some *******'s ego.

You can read posts on this Forum and realize the knowledge is there to present seminars and training.

Billy, if you can make the time for it, volunteer to help judge on Friday. They'll feed you breakfast and put you with a team experienced with the class you're judging. Good way to learn. Only restrictions are you cannot judge a class your car is entered in, or a class that has a car in it that you physically helped to restore.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 05:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Never seen those happen though I have long thought it's a great idea. 'Course I had a lot of ideas as a Zone director 20-plus years ago that got shot down because they stepped on some *******'s ego.

You can read posts on this Forum and realize the knowledge is there to present seminars and training.

Billy, if you can make the time for it, volunteer to help judge on Friday. They'll feed you breakfast and put you with a team experienced with the class you're judging. Good way to learn. Only restrictions are you cannot judge a class your car is entered in, or a class that has a car in it that you physically helped to restore.
Actually, there were a couple of activities like this at G-burg in 2018. John Stolpa from Rocket Racing offered some sessions, and didn't Don Glover give a talk also?
Old August 3rd, 2021, 10:09 AM

Thanks Joe, ive been reading a lot of JWO back issues about judging and I would like to learn and participate at OCA shows. Maybe I’ll start at the 2022 Nationals, but this one being my first, I really want to have the time to take it all in. I’m really looking forward to walking the show field and spending a lot of time talking to car owners about their cars and seeing in person the best Oldsmobiles in the country. I’m hoping especially to see a real 1968 W30.

As for seminars, talks, panels - I’m really hoping for that at Olds shows. Outside of the car hobby, I am a program director at pop culture and Sci Fi conventions. I enjoy seeing people being interviewed on stage with a live audience. When Talking to a celebrity at their meet and greet table, you never have enough time to ask all the questions and often they have much better stories that you didn’t think to ask about. I like to watch a good interviewer ask the questions or have the audience ask and everyone can hear the answers. When I attended the last Lansing home coming, I would love to have heard from some olds factory workers who were there and built our cars. Wouldn’t that be amazing. -Billy
Old August 3rd, 2021, 10:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

As for seminars, talks, panels - I’m really hoping for that at Olds shows. Outside of the car hobby, I am a program director at pop culture and Sci Fi conventions. I enjoy seeing people being interviewed on stage with a live audience. When Talking to a celebrity at their meet and greet table, you never have enough time to ask all the questions and often they have much better stories that you didn’t think to ask about. I like to watch a good interviewer ask the questions or have the audience ask and everyone can hear the answers. When I attended the last Lansing home coming, I would love to have heard from some olds factory workers who were there and built our cars. Wouldn’t that be amazing. -Billy
Back at the Sturbridge Nationals in 2010, Joe Mondello gave a seminar that was pretty interesting. Admittedly this and the Rocket Racing sessions are more infomercials than anything else, but still interesting.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 10:28 AM

I’d even be willing to volunteer to set up and organize something like that. Just need a small ball room / conference room in the host hotel. Do a schedule of events on the hour. Panels of experts in the field doing talks, infomercials sure why not. How bout a gathering of Hurst Olds owners talking about their cars and the history of Hurst. Or all Toronado owners. I would love to hear about restoration work. Or tips to maintain our cars. Could have the zone directors all get together and tell us about their shows. And it goes with saying that any special guests would be great to get them in for a presentation. —Billy
Old August 3rd, 2021, 11:27 AM
Oldsdruid

Toronado Owners Association is planning a meeting at Nats. www.toronado.org for details or the registration desk folks should know where they'll be.

Joe, I didn't make Gettysburg so didn't know about any seminars there.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 12:44 PM

Thanks Joe, ive been reading a lot of JWO back issues about judging and I would like to learn and participate at OCA shows. Maybe I’ll start at the 2022 Nationals, but this one being my first, I really want to have the time to take it all in. I’m really looking forward to walking the show field and spending a lot of time talking to car owners about their cars and seeing in person the best Oldsmobiles in the country. I’m hoping especially to see a real 1968 W30.

A SCIFI CONVENTION DIRECTOR?!?!? Oh, boy, I gotta know, sir, why is Con Stench a thing?????
Old August 3rd, 2021, 03:19 PM

Haha! “Con stench” I’m guessing is a term that used to be associated with Star Trek conventions when kids didn’t shower or change clothes for days on end. Conventions these days are attended by professional people who bring their families and have money to spend. It’s a whole different experience now. —Billy
Old August 3rd, 2021, 04:46 PM

Haha! “Con stench” I’m guessing is a term that used to be associated with Star Trek conventions when kids didn’t shower or change clothes for days on end. Conventions these days are attended by professional people who bring their families and have money to spend. It’s a whole different experience now. —Billy

As a long time Star Trek fanatic who has attended many conventions, I don’t recall ever meeting anyone suffering from “Con Stench”. However, there is never a shortage of socially inept people!!!

Anyone in readerland familiar with the comedian Matt Wienhold? His stand up routine use to be on YouTube, I can’t find it to share. Anyway, there is some truth to what he says!!
Old August 3rd, 2021, 05:30 PM

To be fair to trekkies and trekkers, I believe con stench is more comic cons than sci fi cons, but I am sorry I derailed the thread.

Tennessee is not tall, so it's either in Memphis (hard pass) or Knoxville or Chattanooga.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 06:20 PM
Oldsdruid

Given the geographic location of the three chapters who'd have to do the brunt of the work, it would be eastern TN.
Old August 6th, 2021, 02:36 PM
Oldsdruid

Toronado Owners meeting

Billyaxe- Toronado group is meeting for lunch 11am-1pm tomorrow 8/7/21 at:

BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse
2455 Medical Center Parkway
Murfreesboro

Supposed to be close to the Embassy Suites host hotel.

Find Darwin Falk or Jane Giliberti at the meeting and introduce yourself.
Old August 6th, 2021, 04:11 PM
Olds Fever

You would think that possibly the OCA and REO Museum might have collaborated a show in Michigan to celebrate 125 years... Just a thought, and most likely not possible...
Old August 9th, 2021, 07:22 AM

The president said at the OCA Banquet that the 2022 location would be announced in September or October. They’ve formed a new committee of 5 to work more directly with, and to guide local chapters in hosting Nationals. He said with the membership “not getting any younger” that it’s becoming more difficult finding chapters to host that are capable and willing to put in the hard work of organizing the event.
—Billy
Old August 9th, 2021, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
You would think that possibly the OCA and REO Museum might have collaborated a show in Michigan to celebrate 125 years... Just a thought, and most likely not possible...
The REP chapter is getting older and they may not be up to hosting it. That's not a bash either.
Old March 16th, 2022, 03:57 AM

I got reservations at the Courtyard and just registered for the 2022 show last week. Looks like a go, How many of you guys going? Oh please, oh please not a deluge.... That is what seems to happen on every nationals I go to- (Dearborn, Springfield and Gettysburg). I hope to see friends met at earlier nats and meet some of you other guys!
Old March 16th, 2022, 05:28 AM

I'm in, also at the Courtyard, but this year I'm driving my white 1996 Cutlass Supreme to the meet. With gas being where it is, I need to cut corners somewhere.
Old March 17th, 2022, 05:47 AM

I plan to be there at the host hotel with my 2004 Alero Final 500. Really looking forward to driving on the Nashville Superspeedway! Had a blast doing that at Bristol a few years ago.

Full information on Oldsmobile Club of America Nationals, July 6-9, 2022, Murfreesboro, TN
https://www.oldsmobileclub.org/event...spx?id=1609795

Note you must be an OCA member. Also since it is earlier this year, registration must be postmarked by the deadline of May 25th.

See you there!