General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Octania was a Great Saver

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2017, 09:15 AM

Octania was a Great Saver

Oldsmobile brothers. It is a year later and I have been trying to do justice to the vast collection of Olds parts that Octania had amassed. As well as the cars he had intended to rebuild. Recently came across the large pile of titles that go to the collection at the farm (another saga). Yesterday we unearthed the 68 442 post coupe. Red fenderwells and hoses intact. She's rough, but more solid than I remember her 25 years ago, when she was garaged. In June I took the 68 442 drop top to Homecoming. Sporting new top and new old school tires (bigger in the rear) and all new original exhaust, compliments of Chris! If it's not too much or too long, I would love to show you all more. You were his brothers in kindred spirits. Chris would want you to see/ know. Bless you all for your support. It meant a lot to my family and me So we'll documented, anybody know why?
Forgot to flip it, sorry
. 25 years waiting for light and love
Extreme documentation of exactly how correct stripes are applied on right hand side.
Whaaaaa???
Boom! We found 2!
Still in place
Several sets of tail lights for 68. Only 1 NOS, in the box!

This buried
His baby, drove itself back to Lansing in 1990. Never saw a winter. 27 years
Old September 10th, 2017, 09:20 AM

Although I did not know him, you could tell from his posts he was a brilliant, passionate man. He must have left many fond memories.
Old September 10th, 2017, 09:38 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Thanks so much for sharing this. I didn't know Chris either, but thoroughly enjoyed his posts here and still feel the loss.
Old September 10th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

Angela, Thanks for posting and hope you are doing well. I've got one request for you to consider. Chris had previously posted many photos on this forum to help explain some of the nuances of these cars. Thanks to Photobucket, they are no longer available to us. Apparently the owners of those photos can download them for free. It there is ever the chance to do that, the community would be grateful. We'll figure out how to make them available again, but it would be a shame if they were lost due to one company's quest for profits. Take care.
Old September 10th, 2017, 03:22 PM

I can host any photo of Olds stuff Chris, or anyone else, had/has that will help us here on my domain.
Old September 10th, 2017, 03:35 PM

I first came across Chris on the Lisa Madison Oldsmobile site, that was a great site for finding parts. He was on a yahoo or AOL Oldsmobile site also. I remember his post about his Brother and him getting lost and finding an out of the way Oldsmobile junk yard, it just happened to be April 1st. It was one of the better April fools jokes. Once again, sorry for your loss.
Old September 10th, 2017, 03:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Kennybill
I first came across Chris on the Lisa Madison Oldsmobile site,
WHOA! Now THAT'S a blast from the past.
Old September 10th, 2017, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kennybill
I first came across Chris on the Lisa Madison Oldsmobile site, that was a great site for finding parts. He was on a yahoo or AOL Oldsmobile site also. .
Lisa Madsen, to be precise.

Made my best Olds purchase ever based on a post there in early 2001. Local '70 Sebring Yellow Supreme convertible garaged since ~1982, rust free, buckets, GTO dual gate setup, two 455 blocks, original OAI hood and full setup, multiple sport steering wheels, NOS fenders in boxes, and more miscellaneous original and vintage "day two" parts - $2800.

Terry
Old September 11th, 2017, 04:40 AM

Chris gave me an Oldsmobile dealer plate many years ago.

MY car still proudly wears it.
Old September 11th, 2017, 04:59 AM
NOVICE car nut

Good God , another member gone ? I haven't been on here much in the last year or so and remember some of his posts , and of course the name Octania . The old schoolers are falling by the wayside one by one , time to get working on my car again .
Old September 11th, 2017, 07:00 AM

Bought a a bunch of stuff from Chris and of course gave me much advice on the correctness of my car etc.

If you ever need help with heavy lifting you should post on here and maybe some of us can make a trip up there to help organize for the day. Many of us from Illinois, Indiana and Michigan would be willing to take a cruise to help.
Old September 11th, 2017, 07:53 AM

Chris was a great source for info and advice. I will miss him and i sure many others on this site and other places know how much of a asset he was to the hobby. We lost a great guy.
Old September 11th, 2017, 11:20 AM

I still have one of his flyers looking for anything olds, picked it up many many years ago,
it is written with a typewriter

iam also near his "farm". if you need help with something I can also be available along with others.

Last edited by oldolds88; September 11th, 2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old September 11th, 2017, 06:54 PM

Totally love that!!!

Originally Posted by My442

Chris was such a huge Oldsmobuff!!!! Knew everything.

​​​​​
Old September 11th, 2017, 06:56 PM

Host in your domain

Originally Posted by My442

Originally Posted by Koda
I can host any photo of Olds stuff Chris, or anyone else, had/has that will help us here on my domain.
Forgive my Webtardedness, your domain?
Old September 11th, 2017, 07:04 PM

Photophuket

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Angela, Thanks for posting and hope you are doing well. I've got one request for you to consider. Chris had previously posted many photos on this forum to help explain some of the nuances of these cars. Thanks to Photobucket, they are no longer available to us. Apparently the owners of those photos can download them for free. It there is ever the chance to do that, the community would be grateful. We'll figure out how to make them available again, but it would be a shame if they were lost due to one company's quest for profits. Take care.
​​​​​​

Hi Joe,
We are doing well. Wading through the stockpile. I will try to check into the Photobucket thing. If all else fails, his old hard drive (had just gotten a new laptop) may be resurrected. I can check it out soon.
Old September 11th, 2017, 07:07 PM

Volunteer Assistance

Originally Posted by stevengerard
Bought a a bunch of stuff from Chris and of course gave me much advice on the correctness of my car etc.

If you ever need help with heavy lifting you should post on here and maybe some of us can make a trip up there to help organize for the day. Many of us from Illinois, Indiana and Michigan would be willing to take a cruise to help.
That is more appreciated than you could possibly imagine. We are overwhelmed by the first half of the garage. Haven't been upstairs at all. It's just Whoa!!
Old September 11th, 2017, 07:10 PM

Near the farm???

Originally Posted by oldolds88
I still have one of his flyers looking for anything olds, picked it up many many years ago,
it is written with a typewriter

iam also near his "farm". if you need help with something I can also be available along with others.
We need to talk, I think
Old September 12th, 2017, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by rocketette
Forgive my Webtardedness, your domain?
Domain is the official, high-and-mighty title that tech people call a website.

The domain is the space on the internet; it's the address. The website is what you see when you go there. Mine currently has none, although it used to when I was in college. You can use a domain for many things, usually a website, or an email server. I use mine for file storage and email, though it is not my primary email.

Media (photos and video and documents) are stored on a computer that is always on, hooked to an internet address that does not change. The nice thing about a private website is you can give pictures an address that makes sense like "http://www.mywebsite.com/oldsmobile/68/OAI/cleaner1.jpg" and expect to find a picture of a 68 w-30's air cleaner.
Old September 12th, 2017, 06:51 PM

We need to talk, I think

pmed you
Old September 13th, 2017, 07:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

​​​​​​

Hi Joe,
We are doing well. Wading through the stockpile. I will try to check into the Photobucket thing. If all else fails, his old hard drive (had just gotten a new laptop) may be resurrected. I can check it out soon.
Thanks.