General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Nos/aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2012, 09:30 AM

Nos/aftermarket

Can someone tell me what does NOS stands for I see it alot and i see that those parts are way more expensive than aftermarket parts just curious of what it stands for... I bought a 72 olds cutlass covertible back in april and from what i see all the parts that the guy bought for the car are in GM boxes and plastic rappers are these NOS parts
Old July 8th, 2012, 09:36 AM

NOS = new old stock. they are new parts made from (or for) the original manufacturer and never used or mounted, most of the time in there original packaging. the term is becoming used a little more loosely over the years and you have to be a little carefull buying NOS stuff because of it.
Old July 8th, 2012, 09:38 AM

What does. Bump and ttt mean?
Old July 8th, 2012, 09:41 AM

To the top

So your thread will be under "new post"
Old July 8th, 2012, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by alex72cutty
what does. Bump and ttt mean?
rotflmao
Old July 8th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Just the facts...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_old_stock

bill
Old July 8th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Oldsdruid

Let's take it a little deeper. NOS or New Old Stock parts are the parts made by the carmaker or a supplier for use on the new car assembly lines and as dealer service parts. In other words, they are made to fit and function correctly, and to be an exact replacement part for your car, supplied by the original manufacturer. That is why it tends to be expensive. NOS can include any mechanical, trim or sheetmetal part supplied by the OE (original equipment) manufacturer.

NORS or New Old Replacement Stock are older parts made and supplied by the aftermarket for use by independent garages and mechanics when servicing your car. They are often equal to or better in quality than some of the NOS service parts, depending on the supplier, and were made during the same time period when the cars were new or nearly new.

One thing to consider with NORS parts is that sometimes these companies WERE original equipment suppliers to the carmakers. MOOG and TRW suspension and BUSS/Littelfuse electrics are a couple that come to mind.

NRS or New Replacement Stock are newly made parts that are still available thru modern parts store channels. As you can guess, it often has to be special ordered and quality can be spotty.

Reproduction parts are modern replacement parts that have been made by a vendor to supply a parts need such as trim or sheetmetal. They can be equal to NOS parts if they are made from the original tooling, and most are now required to be licensed for production by the original carmaker. They can also be pure junk, with very poor function, fit and finish. Majority are made offshore due to production costs.

For a car you truly care about, NOS or NORS parts are the way to go. If a reproduction vendor has a good reputation and is licensed by the original manufacturer to make and supply them, reproduction parts can be a good substitute.

Last edited by rocketraider; July 8th, 2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old July 8th, 2012, 12:38 PM

NOS/Aftermarket

Thanks to the guys that explained what i needed/wanted to know and for the couple of a$$holes stay off of the post if ur not gonna be helpful because i dont see a DAMn thing funny.. bump and giggle box. Guys like you really hurt this site grow the F$#@ UP.
Old July 8th, 2012, 07:19 PM

Lacking a sense of humor would hurt the site a lot more than a few people enjoying themselves. Lighten up. You'll live longer if you have fun once in awhile.
Old July 8th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I really don't think you're going to win a lot of friends here, KB, calling your fellow members ********.

Is that the way your mother taught you to talk down there in Georgia?

- Eric
Old July 8th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Oldsdruid

Well- he had a legit question as a lot of people new to the old car world don't know what NOS/NORS or other terms those of us who have been here a while take for granted.

I do a lot of auctions and the NOS term gets thrown around there too, especially in advertising signs. Depends on the crowd, sometimes NOS goes stratospheric, other times they'll turn up their nose at it in favor of a sign with some wear.

But for old car purposes, a NOS, never used part should always bring a premium price over the others simply because there is no doubt it will fit and function correctly. Exceptions would be some electrical stuff that after 40+ years who knows if it will still work right.
Old July 8th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Oldsdruid

Eric- down here, "sumbitch" is more common. There are other, even more colorful terms in Southern English.

My granddaddy was a master of them, as most of the Buckner men were. It was often said of him that he could tell somebody to go to hell in such a way that by the time he was finished, the object of his wrath had his bags packed and was looking forward to the trip!
Old July 8th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by rocketraider
... down here, "sumbitch" is more common. There are other, even more colorful terms in Southern English.
That's pretty much what I was alluding to.

Southerners are known to have developed cursing into an art form.
A good one can tell you to go #&$@ yourself, and you'll be taking a shower and spraying on cologne in preparation.

The epithets he used sound more like they came from New Jersey.

- Eric
Old July 9th, 2012, 05:37 AM

NOS/Aftermarket

You see how this has turned into more than what i asked the only thing i wanted to know is the meaning of the abbreviations thanks for making SO FUN!!! As far how my mother raised me please leave that out of this and just stick to oldsmobiles.. I have a real sense of humor but that wasnt the time i needed to know something.. Again thanks to the guys that helped me understand..
Old July 9th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Just the facts...

Originally Posted by kbdecatur
You see how this has turned into more than what i asked the only thing i wanted to know is the meaning of the abbreviations thanks for making SO FUN!!! As far how my mother raised me please leave that out of this and just stick to oldsmobiles.. I have a real sense of humor but that wasnt the time i needed to know something.. Again thanks to the guys that helped me understand..
i agree.

bill
Old July 9th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'm afraid I remain mystified by the OP's offensive remarks.

He asked a question.

Eric Immediately answered him:
Originally Posted by jensenracing77
NOS = new old stock...
Then another guy added on a (hijacking) related question about abbreviations:
Originally Posted by Alex72cutty
What does. Bump and ttt mean?
Then James answered the second question:
Originally Posted by Jamesbo
To the top. So your thread will be under "new post"
Then Intragration thought something about the second question was funny
(I still don't get the joke, but, hey, whatever - it's healthy to laugh):
Originally Posted by Intragration
rotflmao
Then RocketRaider gave an even more detailed answer to the OP's question:
Originally Posted by rocketraider
Let's take it a little deeper...
Then the OP came back with an obscenity directed toward "the couple of" people who had somehow offended him.
... for the couple of a$$holes stay off of the post if ur not gonna be helpful because i dont see a DAMn thing funny.. bump and giggle box. Guys like you really hurt this site grow the F$#@ UP.
I see one guy asking a tangentially related question (and having it answered right away), and one guy finding the related question funny and posting exactly eight characters (plus two for the emoticon).

I see nothing here that would provoke such an offensive and insulting post from the OP, and honestly believe that an apology to the generally very civil members of this board is in order from the OP.

I'm sorry if others disagree.

- Eric
Old July 9th, 2012, 10:54 AM

@ MDchanic -I wouldn't call it hijacking.... Its called asking a question if you don't understand something and I did not know what ttt and bump meant.
Old July 9th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Alex72cutty
@ MDchanic -I wouldn't call it hijacking.... Its called asking a question if you don't understand something and I did not know what ttt and bump meant.
I wasn't being critical - just trying to put it into the most "unpleasant" light possible for purposes of argument.

I think it was a fine question, and, as I noted, it was answered immediately and accurately.
edit: ... and politely.

- Eric

Last edited by MDchanic; July 9th, 2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old July 9th, 2012, 12:32 PM

i had to look at the top of the screen..just to make sure i wasnt on ROP for a minute..whatta shame...
Old July 9th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Gosh, I don't know a single thread on this site that hasn't been jacked one time or another.

Must be the heat......
Old July 9th, 2012, 01:48 PM

Lighten up people. I can understand that the bloke asking the question might have felt a little embarrassed not knowing what nos was and also felt angry when someone made fun of him, but an over the top reaction wasn't warranted. There are ways of expressing your feelings without reverting to foul language. JMO.
Old July 9th, 2012, 02:01 PM

Yeah, wow, that was a little harsh. Without any nasty intent, I thought it was funny that Alex had piled on to the NOS thread with another acronym definition request, and so, seeing that the questions had all been answered already, I ironically used the longest acronym I could think of to indicate the humor I saw in the situation. Having to explain it tends to negate the humor value. I will make a mental note to be more serious from now on.

So did you hear the story about the one-legged guy with the monkey? Oops, there I go again.
Old July 9th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

So did you hear the story about the one-legged guy with the monkey?
Did they walk into a bar?

'Cause if they did, I think I might have seen them a couple of nights ago.

- Eric
Old July 9th, 2012, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic

'Cause if they did, I think I might have seen them a couple of nights ago.

- Eric
So you DID hear it!? See, humor brings us together. Can't we all just get along?
Old July 9th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Can't we all just get along?
I had thought we were up until a short time ago...

- Eric
Old July 9th, 2012, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
- Eric
wouldn't that hurt?
Old July 9th, 2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
wouldn't that hurt?
No, that's a sign pole, you're getting them mixed up.
Old July 9th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

No, that's a sign pole, you're getting them mixed up.
Easy enough to do in the condition they were in a couple of nights ago.
Old July 9th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Having to explain it tends to negate the humor value. I will make a mental note to be more serious from now on.
Huh? I don't get it..... When have we ever been serious enough not to have fun from time to time.

The OP got his answer and more. If he just sticks with that I think he'll be fine. On the flip side, he's more than welcome to join this hijack of his thread.

I always thought it was a horse that walked into the bar and the bartender asks 'why the long face?'
Old July 9th, 2012, 02:55 PM

NOS/Aftermarket

I have no problem with humor but here me and understand me well when im tring to learn something its no play time.. Im here to gain knowledge help if i can sell parts if someone needs them turn them onto people that i know that may have them.. Whenever i want to joke around and play i play with my kids nephews and nieces not on here to try to get a laugh on someone elses expense when they dont know as much as someone else on here..Once again thanks for your help if you explained my question if you didnt oh well..
Old July 9th, 2012, 03:10 PM

I have no problem with humor but here me and understand me well when im tring to learn something its no play time.. Im here to gain knowledge help if i can sell parts if someone needs them turn them onto people that i know that may have them.. Whenever i want to joke around and play i play with my kids nephews and nieces not on here to try to get a laugh on someone elses expense when they dont know as much as someone else on here..Once again thanks for your help if you explained my question if you didnt oh well..
We're all on here to learn something. The difference is, this isn't boot camp, and sometimes we smile and laugh and joke along with the learning, especially if the question has been answered already. If you're not able to laugh when someone makes a joke, you may find that many here are a lot more like your kids, nephews and nieces than you are. JMO
Old July 9th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Just an Olds Guy

We're all on here to learn something. The difference is..... we smile and laugh and joke along with the learning
I've found that smiling while learning makes the learning more fun. I guess everyone has their own styles though.

Now make sure you don't get NOS OEM parts mixed up with NOS performance systems... Sure, I HAD to throw that in there didn't I??
Old July 9th, 2012, 03:56 PM

He could have simply ignored the people who were joking around instead of making a big deal out of nothing. I've always hated having to walk on eggshells around someone who's overly sensitive.
Old July 9th, 2012, 04:05 PM

I have a real sense of humor
Then keep this in mind....

if you come here, be prepared to pull that sense of humor out of your back pocket and put it up on the bar and use it. Humor makes this hobby fun. And if you don't want to participate in the fun, then you'll soon be sitting in a corner by yourself being shunned because YOU'LL become "that a$$hole that doesn't have a sense of humor" (regardless of your claim to have one). So if you don't use your sense of humor, people will really wonder if you actually have one. Don't turn into a Ford guy.

If you can't or are not willing to handle different levels of humor from the members here, then maybe Classic Olds isn't for you. And I'm serious about that.

Old July 9th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Olds_71_442
I've always hated having to walk on eggshells around someone who's overly sensitive.
Hey Eddie. Now just imagine what's gonna hatch out of dem eggshells....
Old July 9th, 2012, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Hey Eddie. Now just imagine what's gonna hatch out of dem eggshells....
Those are some damn big eggshells. Did someone stroll through Jurassic Park?
Old July 9th, 2012, 04:23 PM

NOS/Aftermarket

It doesnt matter about shunned in a corner or left alone... It would be diffrent if ive posted back and forth with the JOKERS but i havent even seen the guys who made the first comment.. Guess what its all good though i got the info i needed and thats all that matters to me.. For all you guys thats saying have a sense of humor imagine if YOU,your child of wife comes home from work/school and tells you my coworkers/classmates laughed at me because i didnt know what did you would be kinda salty also but for all that matters im done going back and forth with this.. Time to work on my car and enjoy my life....
Old July 9th, 2012, 04:32 PM

People laugh at me all the time. Most of the time it's because I'm trying to make them laugh. And even when I'm not, I turn it into something positive. Never take offense to someone having a laugh. The guys who are laughing behind your back to make you look bad are usually not liked very well, anyways.

Plus, the guys who were joking on this thread weren't making fun of you. They naturally like to have fun all the time. I always look at forums or message boards as a way to act like a 12 year old again.
Old July 9th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 69HO43
Don't turn into a 'Vette guy.
There. Fixed it for ya.

Originally Posted by Olds_71_442
Those are some damn big eggshells.
I'd heard Allan has some pretty big huevos...

- Eric
Old July 9th, 2012, 04:35 PM

Who laughed at anybody?? I was laughing at the acronyms with an acronym. Kind of like if two guys with green 442s were both posting, I might say something about green. I love green, by the way. The interesting thing in all this is that, yes, we come here to learn, and sometimes we learn things in different ways than we're expecting. Learning and humor are coming from all directions. If you're not careful...well, you know how the saying goes.

Quick Reply: Nos/aftermarket