General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

No Hole Cut Door Panel Speakers

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Registered

Thumbs up No Hole Cut Door Panel Speakers

I noticed another thread on door panel speakers, hate to see original panels butchered, use repo panels if you have to but this type speaker could be the way to have your cake and eat it too.

speaker1.jpg

They hang off the side glass so the window has to be slightly raised, small gap at the top of the glass when they're all the way up. You can hang them facing the outside too, handy for football game tailgate parties. There are convenient holders for them if you want to set a couple of steel pipe posts in concrete on either side of your car. The wiring is easy, just put about ten feet of wire on it and tie in under the dash.
The hot set-up, they're nearly indestructible and even have individual volume controls, no chinesium junk either.

You can find them at these old places called "Drive-In" theaters where you sit in your car in a parking lot and watch movies. Most use FM radio for audio output now but a few still have speakers, used to have 220V electric heaters you hung off the window for wintertime film enjoyment too.
To get a speaker you attend the establishment then just leave the speaker hanging off the window at the conclusion of the evening's entertainment and drive away. If you want stereo you have to go on two nights or change spots during the show.
Old August 18th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Cutlass Lover

Oh God!! You just crack me up!!! You're up way too early thinking of this stuff, lol!
Old August 18th, 2010, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I noticed another thread on door panel speakers, hate to see original panels butchered, use repo panels if you have to but this type speaker could be the way to have your cake and eat it too.

They hang off the side glass so the window has to be slightly raised, small gap at the top of the glass when they're all the way up. You can hang them facing the outside too, handy for football game tailgate parties. There are convenient holders for them if you want to set a couple of steel pipe posts in concrete on either side of your car. The wiring is easy, just put about ten feet of wire on it and tie in under the dash.
The hot set-up, they're nearly indestructible and even have individual volume controls, no chinesium junk either.

You can find them at these old places called "Drive-In" theaters where you sit in your car in a parking lot and watch movies. Most use FM radio for audio output now but a few still have speakers, used to have 220V electric heaters you hung off the window for wintertime film enjoyment too.
To get a speaker you attend the establishment then just leave the speaker hanging off the window at the conclusion of the evening's entertainment and drive away. If you want stereo you have to go on two nights or change spots during the show.
Concrete speaker holders have been known to stay connected to the speaker and roll down hill and total out side of new 62 Buick (don't ask how I know)
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Oh God!! You just crack me up!!! You're up way too early thinking of this stuff, lol!
The doc put me on some meds and it says not to go in the sun on the bottle.
It also says that they make you feel a little goofy but I can't tell.

I can't sleep at night, I think I'm turning into a vampire.
I used to look in the mirror and see Redgoat, now I don't see anything.

A vaunt your blood!!, bluhhhh!!

Originally Posted by citcapp
Concrete speaker holders have been known to stay connected to the speaker and roll down hill and total out side of new 62 Buick (don't ask how I know)
How do you know??
I know...I know...you said not to ask you that.

They made some strong window glass back in the good old days.
The exciting part was watching the wire stetch to the breaking point and seeing what was going to happen next.
I never dragged a speaker pole and concrete base home though?
I had a few people drag the pump nozzle and hose home when I worked at gas stations,
never the whole pump too.

Last edited by Bluevista; August 18th, 2010 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Bluhhh!!
Old August 18th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Cutlass Lover

You are tooooo funny!!!
Old August 18th, 2010, 10:33 AM

In the mid 70s, I worked at 1 of these drive-in theatres. Each summer, saw 4-5 windows blown out by people trying to accumulate their speaker collection.