General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Mecum auction update from lee

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2011, 04:58 AM

Mecum auction update from lee

I am having fun at the auction. Scott from our group has a very well done red 1970 442 convertible. Great car. If you are in the market for a Pontiac gto there are many great cars. The olds choices are much more limited. The 1969 442 w-30 convt 4 speed is much nicer than I expected and I have upped my estimate on the car. Three of us have a dinner bet in the selling price. I have also enjoyed the tall tales describing the cars at the auction. My favorite car is a crazy low mileage 1968 hurst survivor. That is the car I would take home. Also saw my first set of possible faked heads. W-30 heads with part # ground off and jb weld letter representing w-30 high value head. Cars description inclules the statement that the car has these valuable heads
New buyer will unfortunatly have $50 heads instead of $6000 heads. Also some flip cars painted red or another sexy color and car put together with chewing gum. What you see on tv is normally not what the Wednesday cars look like. You can't see the wavy bodies and chewing gum on camera. Looking forward to the good cars today and tomorrow.
Lee
Old May 20th, 2011, 05:08 AM

What color is the 69 W-30 drop top? Got any pics?
Old May 20th, 2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
What color is the 69 W-30 drop top? Got any pics?
This one ?

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...=SC0511-107399

Beautiful car....

Originally Posted by leepear
....What you see on tv is normally not what the Wednesday cars look like. You can't see the wavy bodies and chewing gum on camera. .....Lee
Ha! I went last year. First auction I'd been to. I was amused at some of the quality...or lack thereof...of some of the cars. Like Lee said, some look great from 20ft or on TV, but up close you see all the hacks/fakery/rattle_can_restorations. There were some stunning cars, but there were also many not_so_much.
Old May 21st, 2011, 04:35 PM

Yes sold for 135k.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:00 PM

Learned a bunch about car auctions and had a fun few days. Got to meet Scott from this group too. Many dealers and flippers along with big dollar collectors. Not sure I would ever sell a car at a car auction. I do believe people look to car auction to establish the values although from what I learned it is not very accurate especially the "no sale" bid to prices. They are really fake.

Lee