General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Just finished waxing & detailing the 63....

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2015, 06:04 PM

Just finished waxing & detailing the 63....

Though my right shoulder is killing me right now, jees I hate this getting older, it's one pain after another ....Turned out pretty nice though, so I guess the pain is worth it.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3026.jpg (64.4 KB, 70 views)
Old May 26th, 2015, 07:51 PM

I know how it feels. Over here in NYC, the line to the car wash is very long. I dont go to the car wash because I dont trust those "brushless" car wash and they never reach to that hard tight spot. I like to go to the gas station where you do it yourself but there's always a long line there too. So, I went to a swap meet and I seen Griot's and they were selling "Waterless Car Wash". Its a 1 gallon jug that you can pour it in a spray bottle. Just spray and wipe away. Smells like coconut. I bought a lot of microfiber towels to wash and use Mothers top coat and spray FX wax on my car. After all that work, I can see myself clear on the black paint.
Old May 26th, 2015, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Nice work!

I might consider washing some cars when/if it stops raining here in Texas.
Old May 27th, 2015, 04:27 AM
Oldsdruid

An orbital buffer is yo' friend! You'll still have to hand work around the tight spots and trim, but a 7-10" orbital will sure make a polish and wax job easier on tired old bones.
Old May 31st, 2015, 09:17 PM

I'm a little afraid to use an orbital buffer, might put swirl marks in the paint. Wish I knew how to use one. Wouldn't know which one to buy or which products to use.

Last edited by tecar442; May 31st, 2015 at 09:18 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old June 1st, 2015, 09:36 AM
Oldsdruid

Not difficult. The trick is a good quality foam pad, light pressure and keep it moving, and let the polish do the work. You may have to go thru a couple grades of polish depending on how bad the paint is, but all of the body-shop oriented polish and wax companies offer a swirl remover polish that goes on just before the final hand wax coat.

I've always used Meguiar's polishes mainly because their numbering system is easy to use (higher the number, the finer the cut) but 3M and others professional line are just as good. Get the stuff at a parts store specializing in body shop supplies and talk with the paint people.

I have a 10" Sears orbital I've used for close to 20 years, and wore out a 7" Black & Decker before that. You can find them in all price ranges but you do get what you pay for. In other words, I don't think I'd get one at Walmart or Harbor Freight and expect it to perform or last as well as a Craftsman, Porter-Cable or Milwaukee.

Here's a neat video on DA/orbital buffing as well as a true rotary buffer- which you HAVE to be careful with. http://www.autogeek.net/bupo.html