General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I need some help. Bought a 1976 benz with bill of sale only!

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2015, 10:51 PM

I need some help. Bought a 1976 benz with bill of sale only!

I live in Georgia. I bought a 1976 mercedes from a seller that has a piece of paper that says: "The undersigned buyer accepts receipt of this bill of sale and understands that the above vehicle is sold in "as in condition" with no guarantees or warranties, either expressed or implied for the vehicle.

At the top of the paper it has the make, model, year and vin number of the car.

It then has the sellers name in print, then the sellers signature then the sellers address, then the sellers phone number.

Right below it, it has sellers name in print, then the sellers signature then the sellers address, then the sellers phone number.

That is all the paper has. The top of the paper has been cut off. He said he cut it off so it didn't show the date.

He then wrote me a bill of sale from himself to me, but I'm not sure if he transferred the car to his name when he bought it from the previous owner. The previous owner that he bought the car from has proof of the car being registered in his name as he provided a state of motor vehicle registration card that has all of the info about the car. It says the registration card expired in 4/2015. Can I still register the car in my name? I live in Georgia.

Last edited by kingme777; May 31st, 2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old May 31st, 2015, 11:53 PM

The only way to tell is to call the State Dept. in GA. that processes titles and ask them. Chances you would find a legal expert on Georgia car titling in this forum are pretty thin. The sellers action in cutting off the top of the paper should have raised a question in your mind. The seller has not guaranteed a title so you are on your own unless he violated some Georgia law in transferring a vehicle without a title. Suppose the car turns out to have been stolen. What then? You are out all your money and the car which goes back to the rightful owner.

Buying cars without titles is never a good idea. Yeah, I know, some States never issued titles 'way back then' but they had registrations that would prove legal possession. Your seller couldn't/didn't even furnish that. You may be up the proverbial creek. I just gotta ask, what were you thinking?

In some States a lost title can be applied for and the State will investigate and may issue one if there are not "stolens" outstanding on the vehicle. Other States like California and Washington demand much more and you may not ever get a title or even be able to junk the car without a title. Talk about really being up the creek.

I have a rule that I never buy a car no matter how low the price or desirable the car without a clear title. I just say "I will buy when you produce a valid title." If they want to sell it they will get a title. If they can't you were doubly wise to insist on the title or no sale.

Last edited by 47 Convertible; May 31st, 2015 at 11:55 PM.
Old June 1st, 2015, 04:34 AM

First post on an Olds forum about a mercedes?
And it's about a state specific titling issue?
You make interesting choices.
Old June 1st, 2015, 04:51 AM
Always room for one more

Really the only thing you can do is go to the tag office and have them look it up. A car that old doesn't need a title in the State of Georgia; you can register it with just the Bill of Sale. Show the tag office what you have and they will tell you how to proceed.
Old June 1st, 2015, 07:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Here's a thought: Don't buy a car without a title.
Old June 1st, 2015, 10:11 AM

GEORGIA doesn't issue titles for cars that OLD, Go to the tag agency and talk to them .

Old June 1st, 2015, 10:28 AM

^^^ correct, When I lived there any vehicle over 20 years old ( I think) would not be issued a title. Keep your bill of sale. I purchased my 71 Cutlass Supreme in GA and moved to TX. Got a title in TX with my bill of sale from GA.

Don't worry about it. Do worry about coming on an Olds forum and posting about a M-B (just kidding)
Old June 1st, 2015, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by toymobile
georgia doesn't issue titles for cars that old, go to the tag agency and talk to them .

x2