General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I done broke it... now what?

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2011, 12:14 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

I done broke it... now what?

Seems finicky lock pull-up buttons and cold weather don't mix. I couldn't get the 2nd row passenger door open today (the power unlocker never unlocked it, it was always "sticky" and required manual pulling-up), so I pulled up on the **** and it went *GONK* and is now loose. Better yet, the power LOCK doesn't work, either, so now I can't lock that door via any means.

My GM B-Body factory manual tells me HOW to remove/replace the door panel, but it doesn't tell me what will actually HAPPEN once I do. Maybe these B-Body door panels are one-and-done-type things, but anything old enough to legally buy alcohol is likely to NOT work the way it says in the book.

What are the pitfalls of removing these door panels, and what things are going to make this job more miserable than it has to be? I have the tool they say you should use here, so is it REALLY as easy as it seems?

[Remember: I have the WORST luck with these things...]
Old February 1st, 2011, 07:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by auto_editor
Seems finicky lock pull-up buttons and cold weather don't mix. I couldn't get the 2nd row passenger door open today (the power unlocker never unlocked it, it was always "sticky" and required manual pulling-up), so I pulled up on the **** and it went *GONK* and is now loose. Better yet, the power LOCK doesn't work, either, so now I can't lock that door via any means.

My GM B-Body factory manual tells me HOW to remove/replace the door panel, but it doesn't tell me what will actually HAPPEN once I do. Maybe these B-Body door panels are one-and-done-type things, but anything old enough to legally buy alcohol is likely to NOT work the way it says in the book.

What are the pitfalls of removing these door panels, and what things are going to make this job more miserable than it has to be? I have the tool they say you should use here, so is it REALLY as easy as it seems?

[Remember: I have the WORST luck with these things...]
The first thing is that you will need a panel remover tool. Looks like a screwdriver with a forked end (think claw hammer). This tool fits around each of the "christmas tree" fasteners that hold the door panel to the door and pop it up. Get new fasteners before doing this. They should be available in the "HELP!" line at most auto parts stores. Of course,you need to remove the arm rest pads first, which have Phillips screws. Then the armrest pad slides (forward, I think) to disengage the hooks. Do not just pull up on it.

Once you free the panel from the door, you'll need to swing it upwards and disengage the hooks at the base of the window. It sometimes helps to have the window down for this, but then you'll need to put it back up to access the lock mechansm. I suspect that you've broken one of the plastic rod retainers.